Aerosol Epoxy Primer

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
dbullmoose
New Poster
New Poster

Aerosol Epoxy Primer

Post by dbullmoose »

I’m wrapping up the process of fairing a couple small skiffs with QuickFair and will be getting into Primer soon. My question is, I have seen several brands out there of a Two Part Epoxy Primer sold in an Aerosol Spray Can. Has anyone here tried or used this. What would be the negatives of going this route? Also wondering if I should seal the QuickFair with Epoxy before Primer.

Thanks for the help

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Aerosol Epoxy Primer

Post by Jaysen »

I use a lot of PreVal brand “make your own” aerosol kits. I struggle to make myself use rollers and brushes and have started acquiring larger spray set ups just on principle.

Which is the long term ay of saying the down side is you buying entire spray booth setups.

That and over spray, blowback, and blow by. Don’t forget orange peel, sags and rings. Those are all fixed with sandpaper and experience. I use a lot of sandpaper right now.

Sealing with epoxy never hurts. But if you are priming with epoxy primer… kind of redundant based on my conversations with folks of late.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

dbullmoose
New Poster
New Poster

Post by dbullmoose »

Thanks Jaysen! I never even thought of using the PreVal type cans. I have a gallon of System Three Primer, I may do a test on that. I've never had good results with those in the past though. I'm talking about the cans of primer that have the harder inside that you break to mix with a button on the bottom of the can. I'd think it would be fine, but concerned its not specifically intended for marine use or boats

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I wouldn’t use those. But I’m picky. I like the Preval since I get to pick my media. I use them for primer, paint and gel. Just have to get the thinning right.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

dbullmoose iif you have the System3 primer you don't need to pre-coat with epoxy as it is an epoxy-based primer. The majority of people here used it as it works under almost any finish paint that is sold here from the most expensive to the cheapest You need to do a good fairing job as it like any primer will not fill any scratches or little hollows.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978