Which designs for water-skiing?

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
BarraMan
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Which designs for water-skiing?

Post by BarraMan »

Just as an aside, one issue with smaller ski boats is that teenage sons, in particular, seem to think it’s funny to drag the back of the boat around while skiing making it difficult for the boat driver, me, to steer in a straight line! :help:

Said sons, no longer in their teens, can’t budge my BIG boat, as much as they still try! :lol:

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

Here's a video of people skiing behind a 30hp. Now I'm no expert, but it clearly can be done if you jump through hoops. I wouldn't want to be jumping through those hoops every time I go out, if skiing was a primary function of the boat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3C1kKdgiH9Y

The smallest practical ski boat in NZ would typically be a 14.5' glass boat with an outsized outboard on the back for that size (100hp or even more.)

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

He had to use the surfboard to let the boat get enough speed..
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

Interesting topic TKa!

I took the time to go looking for what I might consider to be a suitable 'ski boat' hull up to 16' among the plans on this site. :doh: Unfortunately, the only one that comes close is the PH16, although the recommended 70 hp OB would be marginal, in my opinion. 8O Hang a 100 on it and it would be a cool little boat. :lol:

There is one superb ski boat plan on here - but it is way more boat than you are looking for! :D

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

fallguy1000 wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 11:14 pm He had to use the surfboard to let the boat get enough speed..
I thought that was neat. I've seen videos of people getting up using smaller outboards, but experts, and often using tricks.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

BarraMan wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 1:09 am Interesting topic TKa!

I took the time to go looking for what I might consider to be a suitable 'ski boat' hull up to 16' among the plans on this site. :doh: Unfortunately, the only one that comes close is the PH16, although the recommended 70 hp OB would be marginal, in my opinion. 8O Hang a 100 on it and it would be a cool little boat. :lol:

There is one superb ski boat plan on here - but it is way more boat than you are looking for! :D
The original poster ought to pay close attention to you. On this issue and experience, you win the thread.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

I agree with what has been said you need power to pull a skier out of the water. However you can also prop the motor for maximum hole shot to help get the skier up on their skis. Since the Yamaha 70HP is in the same family as the 50HP I would recommend it over the 50H although the top speed with the 50 had a top speed of high 30's. The 70 will have a top speed in the mid to high 40's and with the right hole shot prop be able to get a skier up out of the water easily.

Barraman the PH116 would make a terrible ski boat as it has a nearly flat bottom and trying to get a skier up would make it slide all over the place. IMHO

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

Barraman the PH116 would make a terrible ski boat as it has a nearly flat bottom and trying to get a skier up would make it slide all over the place. IMHO
I guess we will have to agree to disagree Tom. :D

If what you suggest is an issue, which I doubt :doh: , a skeg would fix it. A skier trying to pull up should be tracking straight behind the boat!
The PH16 has about 5 degrees of dead-rise at the transom. I have skied my kids behind my 4M V-nose punt tinnie which has about the same dead-rise - but it does have a skeg! .
I'm not sure you have a good handle on the dynamics of towing a skier. 8O

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

How big a skeg? I've seen ski boats with skegs that look more like an oversized surfboard fin. That would keep anything pinned straight. Of course you'd lose the shallow draft, but you can't have everything.