Forum software upgrade May 26-28, 2023

Please use this forum to tell us about problems you are having with the forum software, or the new site. This lets us keep the boat building discussions free from clutter.

Your comments and tips are appreciated.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Forum software upgrade May 26-28, 2023

Post by Jaysen »

I will be updating the PHPBB software that drives the BC forums starting May 26, 2023 8pET. The expected duration is 36hr. Since the universe appears to ahve taken a dislike to me in the last decade or so we should all plan a 72hr window of "instability". I will minimize downtime but expect several windows ranging from 30min to 2hr. I'm unable to predict when these windows will occur due to large size our file repositories (Fuzz likes LOTS of pictures so I'm blaming him). I'll attempt to keep a static page up with some type of "Blame Fuzz for the next X minutes of this page" when we are down, but I make no promises (there will be rum involved).

If you have questions, please post them here.

Thanks for your patience.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Forum software upgrade May 26-28, 2023

Post by Jeff »

Jaysen, Thank you, very much appreciated!! Jeff

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Maybe a hot mic on Jaysen would be more entertaining and educational than pictures during this update! Salty sailor slang mixed in with IT slang!! :lol:

Thank you for your efforts in making it a better forum Jaysen.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Mrs would suggest that headphones are required. NSFW where W is Wife.

Full disclosure, 90% of the time will be copying the images to backup. It’s just slow. Once that is done the second longest part is the DB upgrade. I’m cloning the DB and testing/timing that next couple of nights.

Other than that it will just be addressing little things like php config errors that you all find in the corners that I may not test.

The sailor words show up when the network times out during copy operations and I have start over. Imagine getting a hull 90% glassed and you blink. Suddenly the entire damn hull is gone. All they you can find is a stack of uncut ply, fresh rolls of glass, some bags of wood flour and brand spanking new jugs of epoxy. Welcome to IT.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Jaysen I am probably going to jinks you but good luck on this endeavor. It has been a long time since I was in your shoes and I keep forgetting that so good luck. Regards Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Jaysen wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 11:07 am The sailor words show up when the network times out during copy operations and I have start over.
May the IT gods smile on Jaysen so there are no time outs and his long suffering wife medicates him with rum to alleviate swearing withdrawl spasms.
Last edited by glossieblack on Tue May 23, 2023 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

Tell Fuzz to stop givin you headaches.

I spent the last 3 days learning how to do the bulkheads on the ribcage of the beast I'm building.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

In an effort to "make things better" in the future, I'm making some structural changes to the forum file system throughout the day. In theory these will be transparent but you may see some timeouts for uploads or viewing between 11:30a and 12:00p ET.

Sorry.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Jaysen wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 11:33 am In an effort to "make things better" in the future, I'm making some structural changes to the forum file system throughout the day. In theory these will be transparent but you may see some timeouts for uploads or viewing between 11:30a and 12:00p ET.

Sorry.
This is done. Everything "should be" stable. If you have issues with phpBB Gallery or attachments, please post here.