That Guy repairs a Yellowin 24' thanks to a bad public dock

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

That Guy repairs a Yellowin 24' thanks to a bad public dock

Post by Jaysen »

That Guy's Rules for Docking
1. Always put your fenders out when docking.
2. Remember rule #1

If you don't you'll get to spend a day with me like Walter, the owner of a 2022 24' Yellowfin Bay boat. Walter put in at a local ramp as he has many times in the past. His lovely wife (who I met while working on this boat) was parking the truck while Walter was idling. Walter decided "we are just going to be a minute so I don't need the fenders" as he moved slowly into the dock. By this time the lovely Mrs Walter was just ready to step on board. Being a smart boater, she waited for word from Walter before stepping aboard. As the gorgeous Yellowfin nosed into the dock, and I'm quoting Mrs. Walter here, "there was this gawd awful sound like the boat was getting ripped to pieces and I just wanted to die because Walter has dreamed of this boat and he finally got it and it was our anniversary and he only took the boat for me and oh gawd I don't know that it can be fixed!" Walter calmed the Mrs (that night and as she was telling me the story) and managed to call me that week to assess the damage and schedule repairs. I was mid "WTF has Shane done this time" so I was able to assure him that the damage to his Yellowfin was within my capabilities.

What's not real clear here is the number of tiny pin holes in the gel aft of the "reverse J" gouges. The overall damaged area was about 24" long, but rub rail to chine high.

I was a bit shocked to see how thin the gel was on the Yellowfin given their reputation and the likelihood that a bay boat would see a bit more banging around than the traditional deep V. If you look close you'll see the tell tail scallops of a bit of glass pullout in this deep gouge. A little Dremel action and that was quickly removed. Some glass-impregnated putty to seal it up was all that was needed.

These were a bit more fun. I wound up opening them up quite a bit as the gel was deeply cracked around the edges of the gouges. In a few places I had to chase the cracks to the glass, but nothing was into the glass. Best possible situation.

Here we are with the completed repair. The gel was a "close" color match provided by Walter from Spectrum. I did have to color adjust a bit. This gel was a PITA and behaved oddly for me. That said I did manage to get the entire repair done on site in 12hr. 14hr day if you include travel time. Details on gel process:
* glass-impregnated putty for deep gouge repair
* initial gel fill: spectrum cat @ 2%, no thinner, no additive, too much white, cello cover to hold in place, squeezed with bondo scraper, sand with 80gr
* second gel fill: same as above except sand with 120gr
* third gel fill: reduce cat to 1.5%, add wax, reduce white by 50%, no cello, bush and fill pins, sand 220gr
* first finish: cat @ 2%, duratec 904-001 @ 50%, thinner @ 25%, white at 1 drop, spray, sand 220
* second finish: cat @ 2.5%, duratec 904-001 @ 50%, thinner @t 35%, white at 1 drop, sand 220-400
* third finish: cat @ 1.8%, duratec 904-001 @ 50%, thinner @ 50%, white at 1 drop, sand 400-600
* buff/polish light compound and wax

End result was a crying Mrs Walter (she assures me it was happiness and not the bill) and a request for "can we do a retainer for priority should we need you again?" "I only do one boat at a time so there's no need", I assured them. Walter sat with me the entire time and we chatted about boats, fishing, IT, gel and glass repairs, cooking, old cars, and just about everything else. All in all it was a solid day working on a solid boat.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: That Guy repairs a Yellowin 24' thanks to a bad public dock

Post by fallguy1000 »

Nosing in is how I scratched my boat. The fenders ain't on the bow.

When you bump the dock; don't do it by the bow..go for the aft fenders..
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

On this boat the forward cleat holds a fender at exactly that point. It’s pretty common on the 24 and under down here.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

This is why Fuzz has an older boat that came with a full assortment of boo-boos. One more is not a thing :lol:

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Yeah. There’s something to be said for something that’s as beat and crusty for ease of “not giving a crap”. On the other hand my one boat is going to start looking like some monster with all the new shiny spots amongst all the old not so shiny spots.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Mine also look like on the bow, but super ez to take a bad angle.
IMG_9715.jpeg
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495