Squaring the transom joint

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Squaring the transom joint

Post by jbo_c »

How have y’all built your dams for adding material to sharpen the transom joint on your boats? Specifically, how did you attach the material for the mold? Last time I did it, I use caulk to attach the dam temporarily to the transom side so I could “pour” from the bottom. It worked, but where the fill flowed down to the caulk line was very uneven and took a good bit of(I thought) unnecessary fairing.

Thinking maybe somebody has a better way.

Thanks.

Jbo

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Squaring the transom joint

Post by fallguy1000 »

The fill should not be so thin it flows.

If the boat is upside down, make a board with shipping tape on it that extends the entire transom. Find a way to apply pressure to it. I prefer clamps at the top of the transom and more pieces of wood. If you use a piece of 3/4" lumber at the bottom; use a piece 1" wide at the top and when you run your vertical pieces of wood ; the clamping will add pressure to the transom bottom more.

My one minute sketch..
IMG_0531.png
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Precoat the area with clear epoxy first for better bonding of the thickened resins. Wait an hour and trowel in the thickened..
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

Thanks. Sounds doable. Also sounds like I need to make my “mud” just a little thicker for this application.

Jbo