Applying graphite

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Applying graphite

Post by jbo_c »

Is a roller still the preferred method for spreading the epoxy/graphite mix onto the boat? I’ve almost completely gotten away from rollers and brushes with epoxy because they seem to soak up so much.

Seems like the preference used to be a short nap paint roller rather than foam. Still the case?

Thanks.

Jbo

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Applying graphite

Post by Dougster »

Been a while since I've done it. Mostly I think I ended up with short napped paint roller. Truth is nothing worked all that well for me as I was so often troubled with of little "nibs". The more the resin and graphite are mixed the better. In the end it works out--just get several coats on and get her flipped over. And don't look under there again :wink:

Dougster

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Apply the crap on and warm it with a hair drier. Same results with putty knife, brush or roller. Crap until you warm it and it flows smoothly. Use slow hardener though. Heat kicks it fast.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

jbo_C, that a look at this link as well

Link: app.php/page/cracker-larrys-graphite-application-tips

Jeff

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

Dougster wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 12:12 pm -just get several coats on and get her flipped over. And don't look under there again :wink:

Dougster
Haha. This is mostly the plan. This is a pokey boat anyway. Good enough will definitely be good enough. Anybody that complains about how the bottom looks will just need to find a new way to get on the water.

Thanks, guys

Jbo

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

- and I made screenshots of that link so I wouldn’t lose it, Jeff.

Only trick is that it’s pretty cool here for the next 10 days and I really want to get it done and flipped.

Jbo

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

How much graphite is “enough”? Does full color indicate full coverage?

I had anticipated doing three coats, but two has given me what looks like really good coverage on all but corners. Is two coats enough? I’m going to do the corners again, but do I need a third coat on the rest?

Thanks.

Jbo

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

If I was happy with the looks as it is now I would do the corners and call it good.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

It depends on how much graphite you add to each load of epoxy as the graphite is the scratch preventer. If only adding 20% then I would do 3 coats if 25-30% then you might get by with 2 coats.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

wpstarling
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by wpstarling »

TomW1 wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 11:13 am It depends on how much graphite you add to each load of epoxy as the graphite is the scratch preventer. If only adding 20% then I would do 3 coats if 25-30% then you might get by with 2 coats.

Tom
This right here, you want enough to prevent most scratches. I did 4 but my boat is only 15' by 4' and I didn't do the front 2.5' of the bow since it doesn't hit anything but the trailer. Also, if you're at all UNhappy about the bottom, now is the time to do the extra layer.
Boats restored: 1973 Glastron CV16, 1990 Proline 17 CC, 1993 Bass Boat
Boats built: custom 15ft flat bottom skiff, Soon-to-be-built TX18 (originally dborecky's build)