building a duck skiff 15 frame

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
john scarsella
New Poster
New Poster

building a duck skiff 15 frame

Post by john scarsella »

starting on the duck skiff 15 and I am looking for some pictures of the frame to construct in on. Are there any pictures posted, or can someone post some.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: building a duck skiff 15 frame

Post by Fuzz »

Never built one and do not have the plans but I would guess the build frame would be a lot like what the guys have been doing for the FS-14s

john scarsella
New Poster
New Poster

Post by john scarsella »

Thanks

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

I thought more of the guys would chime in. No matter keep asking when you need to and we will try to help.

bklake
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bklake »

I copied this from the Study Plans: "No jig is required but those who prefer can build their boat on strongbacks using the frames as molds. Additional framing is installed after hull completion, the sole, coaming and deck participate to the structure." That is a little different than what most descriptions say.

I'm guessing you can build these like I did with my S&G kayak, not on a strongback of any kind. Just stitch the panels together and pop it into shape. Then tape seams and install bulkheads. The DS15 looks light enough and small enough to do it this way easily. Or, on a strongback.

I'm not trying to be a jerk but have you downloaded and read all of the general instructions and tutorials available here? I didn't at first and thought the plans were lacking. One short sentence in the plans has a few pages of background and instructions associated with the sentence.

john scarsella
New Poster
New Poster

Post by john scarsella »

Thanks so much... I had reached a standstill, not knowing how to continue... I looked at all the instructions on the web page and I feel ready to continue. Looking forward to getting started. Again thanks !
John

OlivierP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by OlivierP »

You may use the generic instructions on BBC, "self aligning jig system" tutorial, to build the hull upside down as it is the preferred method for planing hulls.

The frames have to be installed on a jig upside down, aligned on their baseline. You may use either the actual internal frames, or temporary frames of the same dimensions built from cheap plywood, mdf, ... then bottom and sides are laid on the jig and frames.
Built C17 (app.php/gallery/album/262), GF14, Devlin Bella 16. Sails a 30ft Biloup 89 sailboat.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

John I hope you have started building the Duck Skiff. There has been at least one built, but I don't know to direct you to that build. I Will look and see if I can find it. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978