ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
MikeyGnz
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

Post by MikeyGnz »

glossieblack wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 6:21 am
Reading this while sitting here in my cubicle farm makes me jealous

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Good to hear from you MikeyG. :D

On Monday we had a wonderful downwind sail under blue skies from Scawfell Island some 40 nautical miles to Goldsmith Island. Pics show passage route and Great Sandy at anchor in Roylen Bay, Goldsmith Island.

Today we sailed and motor-sailed, most of the time in rain, sometimes in sun, from Goldsmith Island 33 nautical miles northwest to Shute Harbour. Wind and seas astern. Pics show passage route and our Shute Harbour approaches.

Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Beautiful stop GB!!! You guys have a great time!! Jeff

BarraMan
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by BarraMan »

Check this out, Michael - a Noosa R barra! 8O
OK, so its a bit chewed, probably by a bull shark, but interesting none-the-less! :D
A positive benefit of climate change? :doh:

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

BarraMan wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:48 pm Check this out, Michael - a Noosa R barra! 8O
OK, so its a bit chewed, probably by a bull shark, but interesting none-the-less! :D
A positive benefit of climate change? :doh:

That's a big bite!

Hank

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

While riding out bad weather in Shute Harbour the past few days, I unsuccessfully tried to find and fix an intermitent electrical fault in Great Sandy's chart plotting system. Frustrating.

When the wind abated and the sun broke through late this morning, we decide to weigh anchor and head east some ten nautical miles to the snug all weather anchorage of Cid Harbour.

We used old-fashioned eyeball, paper chart, and compass navigation while enjoying a sparkkling beam sail from Shute Harbour to Cid Harbour. :D

Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Ah, beautiful!!!. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Seems like every place you guys go it is just spectacular!

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

Ah yes! Cid Harbour = bull shark playground! :help:

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Thanks Tom and Fuzz, we are currently cruising in a beautiful part of the world. :D

BarraMan, I reckon about every anchorage we have dropped the pick in this past month as been bull shark territory, because they’ve largely been wilderness or sémi-wilderness anchorages. The way I see it, it is an indicator that the local marine ecology is in good enough shape to support a food chain all the way up to big animals like sharks. And yes, Cid Harbour is a bull shark hot spot.

Today I finally figured out what has been causing the problem with the chart plotter occasionally malfunctioning.

It seems the position I installed the gps-based tracking device which has been producing the passage-route images I have been posting here this past month has been occasionally (why occasionally I do not know) corrupting the gps signal of the chart plotter.

I have turned the tracker of, and the chart plotter is not missing a beat. If this proves to be the fix, I will relocate the tracker.

In the meantime, no tracking images. :wink:

Sparkling sail under double- reefed mainsail with 25 knot winds to Nara Inlet in Hook Island, Whitunsays Queensland today. On the pick tonight in a beautiful calm abnorage. :D