Microspheres vs glass bubbles?

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Microspheres vs glass bubbles?

Post by jbo_c »

I thought they were the same thing, but putting an order together and noticed the bubbles are $8 a pound and the phenolic microspheres are $28 a pound.

Surely that suggests more difference than just a naming convention. ?

What’s the difference?

Jbo

bklake
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Microspheres vs glass bubbles?

Post by bklake »

Glass bubbles are glass. Phenolic bubbles are some kind of plastic. I don't know the specific properties that make one more suitable for a job over the other. I'm sure they both have dangers, downsides and upsides.

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

Facts I didn’t know. Looking forward to somebody coming along and telling us the functional differences and maybe some real life comparisons.

Thanks.

Jbo

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I hate falling into the Google hole on things...

nothing earth shattering but best thing I found... https://www.cospheric.com/polyethylene_ ... ticles.htm
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

The only functional comment I’ve seen specific to what we’re doing here was on a supplier website that said the phenolic balloons were a better choice for deeper fills. Otherwise, all the descriptions I’ve seen for the two could be interchanged.

It did cross my mind that sanding the glass ones would likely(?) produce dust that included silica, whereas the phenolic ballon’s might not. Pure conjecture on my part.

Jbo

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

The bubbles are basically used for fairing, mixed with the neat epoxy they make for an easy fairing compound. The phenolic spheres add strength when mixed with an epoxy compound say in a rounded section.
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

Since now I’ve used both, here are some observations:

1) The glass bubbles take much more effort to get mixed into the epoxy. - like 3-4x as long. It’s a little funny to watch as you stir. They look almost like another liquid floating on the epoxy. You have to stir them by pushing them down and pulling the epoxy up and over them.

2) The phenolic spheres seem to get better coverage for the same weight. (But not 3x+ like the price might suggest.). They apparently have more volume than the glass beads, which I would have thought would make them easier to sand, but I don’t notice any real difference in that as noted below.

3) Given #2, I can clearly see that a pound of glass beads won’t last me nearly as long as the same amount of spheres.

4) I can’t tell any significant difference in how easy one is to sand vs the other.

Jbo

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

I wondered if maybe glass bubbles weigh more than the phenolic, and that would account for some of the price discrepancy.
Hank

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

After some more work, I’ve decided that glass bubbles “harder” to sand - not significantly, but noticeably. It does feather out to a very fine transition edge.

Jbo