Bulbous bows

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Bulbous bows

Post by OrangeQuest »

fallguy1000 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:10 am
glossieblack wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:00 am Will the V section you've been laminating up, after trimming, be epoxy welded to the exising hull and become the lower face of the bulb?
Yup. It gets welded using aircraft techniques of pre-releasing bonding flanges. Basically pre-tabbing to shipping tape..then pulling it off to increase the glue surface area.
That is way out of my wheelhouse! 8O but sounds very interesting and seems a like a new technique that has not been discussed on the forum, unless I missed it.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

OrangeQuest wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:47 am
fallguy1000 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:10 am
glossieblack wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:00 am Will the V section you've been laminating up, after trimming, be epoxy welded to the exising hull and become the lower face of the bulb?
Yup. It gets welded using aircraft techniques of pre-releasing bonding flanges. Basically pre-tabbing to shipping tape..then pulling it off to increase the glue surface area.
That is way out of my wheelhouse! 8O but sounds very interesting and seems a like a new technique that has not been discussed on the forum, unless I missed it.
Trade secrets, but all will be revealed here.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

...more wetting out

fyi-last layer is woven roving 18 oz and really hard to cut to fit; so all oversized and will cut later
IMG_0539.jpeg

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Also bonded and tabbed the backbone in today.
IMG_0546.jpeg

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice work FG!!!! Jeff

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Dry fit took 5-6 hours..
IMG_0559.jpeg
IMG_0558.jpeg

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Very impressive. Congratulations. :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Looking good about what I expected as you explained it. That really looks good. Question for you are you going to fill the compartments with foam in case they get penetrated or rammed? It might be a good idea to do so.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

TomW1 wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 11:14 pm Looking good about what I expected as you explained it. That really looks good. Question for you are you going to fill the compartments with foam in case they get penetrated or rammed? It might be a good idea to do so.

Tom
Well, the NA who drew it up says to fill with expanding foam. But the laminate is about 8mm thick or like 5/16" and the compartments would be separated by 7 bulkheads with bonding flanges; so I'm on the fence. Thing is already getting heavy with all that glass...

There may be sound purpose attempting to inject or pour foam into the last space as there is no room for tabbing, but also don't want to push it off the bonds that will be made... if we beach, this area would be backed off against..

Or I could just pour the bottom.

Anyone have thoughts? It might be nice to know if the BB has a hole?

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

OK, I am starting to ‘get’ it! :D
Don’t take this question the wrong way, as I am genuinely curious. 8O
Does the need to undertake this mod reflect an issue with the original design, or did you inadvertently make it bow heavy during the build. :doh: The front-on pic highlights just how fine the bows are.