VG23 New Build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: VG23 New Build

Post by mhd »

The taping is complete and the boat is much stiffer and less flexible now as a result. Took quite a while but I'm happy with how it has turned out. Two layers all over: 6" width 12oz biax with a layer of 10" width 12oz biax over the top. It seemed to work out fine doing it that way, all installed wet on wet. There were only a few minor air bubbles so I ground those out and filled them. Almost ready to start glassing the entire interior now. Not a job I'm looking forward but it is one step further towards a finished boat. Once the interior is glassed/filled/sanded I will install the stringers - easier to do some fairing now rather than when all the bulkheads are in, but I'm not aiming for a boat-show finish - just good enough.

Aft of the transom I've started working on the skirt and will post photos of that as it progresses.

Visitor in the house for the next couple of weeks so progress will be on/off I imagine.

Cheers,

Mick

FB11 (Designer Evan Gatehouse)
VG23 (Designer Jacques Mertens)

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Robert A. Heinlein.

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

Installed the inner "stem". The aim is to strengthen the bow to mitigate the effects of any collision - either from debris, or bad seamanship. Also so I have something flat and solid to bolt the forestay to on the interior of the boat.

Two pieces of 4x1 oak laminated together and planed to fit the angle of the bow. Interior of bow was first given two layers of 12oz biaxial. Then the inner stem was fitted first with a epoxy, wood-flour mix and then epoxy, silica, microballoons over the top to save a bit of weight. Sanded back to the wood, then epoxy, wood-flour and silica to fill in the gaps with a layer of 12oz biax over the top of the lot.

Not the best photos, or my neatest work, but there are no air bubbles and the entire interior of the boat is getting sanded and glassed, hopefully starting tomorrow.

Mick

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Robert A. Heinlein.

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

First two sheets of interior glass applied. Whew! Hard and hot work: +80F in NM today, but it went well enough, apart from some ragged edges at the top, but they'll sand out when I do the deck/hull tape joint. One prominent air-bubble remains that I couldn't get rid of, but that will grind and fill also. And tomorrow I'll be more prepared and it should go better...practice makes perfect. I hope! I'll post some pics once I have a reasonable amount done.

Mick

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

Preparing to fit the final two pieces of 12oz biaxial cloth to the port side interior tomorrow. After a messy first few pieces, my new method is to screw a batten to the top of the hull to hold the cloth. Start with it folded over the outside of the boat while I spread some epoxy and putty, and then bring it back over and lay flat. Once it is wetted out I slice off level with a stanley knife.

I've also ground out a few air bubbles on the previous sections and filled/taped over and then coated the rest with clear epoxy to partially fill the cloth weave. I'll be glad when the starboard side is also completed and I can start fitting stringers and bulkheads.

Mick

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

Finished sheathing the port side. Really messy/rough at the top edge but that will be sanded out when I come to fit the deck. And the last two pieces at the bow were much much better and cleaner - hanging the cloth from a batten works well for me. Live and learn.

Today I sanded the entire starboard side and the bottom of the boat, wiped everything down, and began sheathing from bow-to-stern. New shop-vac made sanding a lot less of a pain than on my previous build - I was reluctant to spend the money, but it was worth every penny. I should be able to do the starboard pieces each within 24 hours of the previous one. Sore back though...

Mick

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

That hull looks huge! Your work looks good, and I agree on the value of a good vacuum for sanding.
Hank

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

pee wee wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 9:38 am That hull looks huge! Your work looks good, and I agree on the value of a good vacuum for sanding.
Thanks Peewee. Yep, not a small boat. I just laid on another section of cloth. Much neater. Most of the bottom of the boat will be invisible, under lockers and seats and berths, apart from a small section in the centre of the cabin, so I've not stressed too much about looks. I don't plan to sand things super-fine in those areas. But the vac really does make it less of a nightmare job. I hope to get the interior glassing finished by the middle of the week and then install the stringers by next weekend. Fingers crossed.

Cheers,

Mick

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

Another day, another dollar piece of cloth. Two more to go on the hull side and one on the transom. I'll be glad when it is finished...three more days.

I've also been laminating additional "beams" of plywood onto the bulkheads, as per the plans. Each one has an additional piece either side. Here are bulkheads B (upright) and C (flat). I'm hoping to have two or three ready to go when the inside glass is finished.

I measured/levelled the boat with a 4' spirit level and dropping a plumb line from a piece of wood balanced across the hull. However, today I found an electronic level that I'd bought for the same purpose a while ago and then couldn't find. Here is a shot of it balanced on the centre-line of the transom. It is a useful (and cheap) device. Nice to know that the boat is level and square "electronically" as well as "manually" :-)

MIck

Barn Lancaster
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Barn Lancaster »

Wow you've been busy the hull looks great !

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

Barn Lancaster wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 1:00 pm Wow you've been busy the hull looks great !
Hi Brian,

All well? How's things back in Blighty?

Yeah, been a busy few months here since getting back from Finland. Shame I didn't get to stop by and see you and your own VG23 this time :-) Is she back in the water now?

I finished the interior glassing yesterday and today I've been making up more of the bulkheads with attached beams. Tedious work, but going well. I've got the entire inside to sand down and then will fit the stringers and bulkheads. I'll post some more photos in a day or two.

There's a chance I'll be back ot the UK in November. Will let you know!

Cheers,

Mick