MT24 Build - Upstate NY

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
jonlitts
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: MT24 Build - Upstate NY

Post by jonlitts »

Hello builders. Despite not having adequate shop space yet, I just had to see the size of this basket mould. Couldn’t help myself.

Also had a question… Is there any reason not to finish the hull, and complete the rest of the build while on its trailer?
Attachments
IMG_1875.jpeg
IMG_1871.jpeg
---
Jonathan

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

Whew. That’s gonna be a big boat.

My inclination is that once all the stringers and bulkheads are fully glassed in, you should be able to work on a trailer if it’s VERY well supported(my plan with my own boat). I’m sure smarter people than me will opine.

Can’t wait to watch.

Jbo

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

The main problem with working on it while it's on a trailer is it will be sitting up higher. A smaller concern is that a trailer won't support a flimsy hull as well as a basket mold would, but you can add support to the trailer where needed. Ceiling height in your work space may be an issue, but probably the biggest one is the extra climbing you'll be doing from floor height to stepping into the boat- 5.7 million times. Picture climbing a ladder and stepping into the boat, only to realize you left a critical tool on the bench, so it's back down to get it and back up to work. Even if the hull is sitting on the floor you'll need a step ladder to get in and out, but it's less steps. If that's not a problem for you, then it would make things a little easier not to have to lift a completed boat up to load on a trailer later.
Hank

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Why do you want to build on a trailer? There can be good reasons for doing it but I would prefer not to. Each step up and down working on the boat adds up. Also right from the start take to time to build a set of rolling stairs. Stairs beat a ladder by a mile and you will be glad built them.

jonlitts
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jonlitts »

Thanks guys! Good wisdom there. Main reason for thinking about it was to be able to move it around if I needed garage space for something else.
---
Jonathan

jonlitts
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jonlitts »

I mentioned that my/my late wife's affairs were not in order when she passed... This led to her sons receiving all of her estate (including, of course, my big beautiful new workshop). We were together 5 years. Fortunately we had squared away the beneficiary portion of our retirement and life insurance policies.

I'm honestly very happy with the move (on many levels, all healing). Despite having to leave what was my home, I quickly (and perhaps by her helping hand) found an absolutely perfect piece of property in the foothills of the Adirondack Park. There was a house here years ago that burned down, leaving the vacant slab you see in the picture above. I had built a 20' tiny house on wheels about 6 years ago which I towed over here and am living in, while I build a small but full-sized house. There's also a detached 2-car garage some distance from the slab that escaped the fire. The plan is to jack that up 2', extend the 24' length to 30', and insulate.

I had thought that I'd put the Maia project on the very back burner since I now have a house to build. Mature. Sensible. Logical.

Months have gone by, and my kids (12 and 16) and I continued to talk about the Big Boat, and taking it down to Cape May, NJ where my family has vacationed every summer since the '80's.

This past week, I suddenly had a realization. They love the tiny house. I love the tiny house. It's extremely cheap to live in, allowing the accounts to build somewhat.

Having experienced the unexpected, sudden death of my love and partner in life, it's extremely important to me, more than ever, to seize the day. I'm very, very careful of "maybe next year"... "maybe in a few years."

So! The full-sized house can wait. We're building a big boat to meander down to Cape May, maybe (?) finishing while my kids are still interested in hanging out with their ole dad. :lol:
Attachments
IMG_1347.JPG
IMG_0707.JPG
---
Jonathan

Doug N
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Doug N »

Sounds like a good decision. Building the big house can definitely be pushed back to make room for doing something your kids are interested in. You already have a place to live that you and your kids enjoy. Life is good. I found building my boat very much a way of lowering the stress level in my life and something I really enjoyed.
Doug

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

At one point in my life I had a 400sf house and a 2400sf shop. Everything I had was paid off. When my boss would be a pain in the butt I would remind him I could gain weight on unemployment :wink: A simple life has a lot going for it. spend your time with the kids, they will be gone far too soon.

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

Fuzz wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:38 pm Each step up and down working on the boat adds up. Also right from the start take to time to build a set of rolling stairs. Stairs beat a ladder by a mile and you will be glad built them.
This is an excellent point and a good idea whether you work on a trailer or not.

It’s amazing how many times you step on to and into.

Jbo

Jmk2000
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jmk2000 »

Jon,

So glad you’ve found piece with everything. I have loved tiny houses for a long time and dream of someday having one in the mountains of North Carolina. I’m thrilled to see you are beating me to the boat build! I can’t wait to see the progress. Are you building yours directly in a basket or are you going to do the hull upside down and then flip it after it’s finished?

I’ve been dreaming of beginning mine sooner than later. My youngest is about 3 weeks from us moving her into the forms for her freshman year in college. Im still in love with the MM21 hull design and the Tug look. I am however strongly debating on stretching the hill length 2-3’ (adding it in at the main bulkhead where the v-berth starts. This would make the v-berth larger and more comfortable. We’re dreaming of making this boat for our great loop adventure!

Josh