panga 22 4-stroke motor

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
anonymous

panga 22 4-stroke motor

Post by anonymous »

Most 4-stroke 75 hp outboards weigh about 175 kilograms. Is this too heavy for a panga 22? What about a Suzuki 90 which weighs 189kg?

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

That would be fine.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

patto355
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: panga 22 4-stroke motor

Post by patto355 »

Sorry to dig up an old post i figured why not keep all the info together, Jacque question will these motor weights put the scupper underwater, more specifically 2022 75hp 4s are at around 160kg range there abouts, if so the yamaha f70 might be the way to go

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Patto Jacques has passed away and the Forum is taking on answering questions sent to him. The Yamaha75 is a fine motor for thr PG22 or the Yamaha70 would be only slightly slower with a about 100lbs 50kgs saving in weight. The speed difference between the two models would be about 3-5 mph. I could calculate the exact difference but for now that is close enough.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

The scuppers on these size boats are very close to the waterline. Although a 22’ boat the PG22 is not nearly the displacement of say a C21 or NV23. The boat if built to the specifications would be self bailing at the dock, and with a light load onboard. But if built as many here actually have done so, with extra weight aft, livewell, motor etc then it’s likely that you will need to fit one way valves or plugs to the scuppers, or if in a warm climate wear boat shoes.

For my C17 I’m fitting scupper elephant trunks at and also under the DWL. I’ll report back when I get it splashed as to how they go, but I’ve heard good things on them for RIBs and surf rescue boats.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Patto did not answer the scupper question on my earlier post just the motor HP. The scuppers or deck will be about 3" above the DWL for most of Jacques designed boats. What you need to check is water line vs. deck height. This is normally. 3-5" depending on the length and width of the boat.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

From the plans the PG20 has a displacement of 8" at the DWL of 2000lbs. This puts the sole 0.5" above the DWL. The PG22 is aprox 10% bigger in all dimensions, with a displacement of 2600lbs IIRC. There would not be a lot of margin unless the boat has a much higher sole. There was a PG25 built that had the scuppers plugged due to water on the deck at rest.

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

I think for most of the medium length power boat designs here the DWL is placed at the bottom of the sole, which makes it a fraction of an inch below the scuppers at best. Jacques did stress that the DWL is an arbitrary thing specified by the designer, and he could have moved it. If you opt to raise the sole you will decrease cockpit depth and raise the center of gravity, so proceed with awareness- it's always a compromise no matter which way you go.
Hank

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

If I had anything to do over with my OD18 I would have raised the deck an inch and a half. I would much prefer a higher center of gravity than having to plug the scuppers when there's anything in the rear (bait well water, cooler full of ice, me...). Fully empty it will self bail on anchor or at the dock, but step in and water comes in. Can't blame the design as I built her 300 lbs heavier than design weight and have a 15 gallon bait well on the stern.

The 70 Yamaha is a VERY nice motor and the lightest in its class. A Panga 22 will go with it. Not super fast, but will certainly get up and go, and go a long ways with little fuel.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

If I were doing mine again I'd consider lowering the sole. I'm not fussed about self draining at the dock (boat will be trailered) as long as it can't sink at the dock(should I ever dock it overnight), and a lower sole might have allowed me to put in a small pilothouse console. As it is I went with a solid t-top, and as soon as the weather warms up here in NZ I'll take it out of the tunnel house to see what it looks like with that.

Point is that you can raise or lower the sole 1-2" to your desire. You need a minimum of 75mm (3") on the stringers. Going higher until you are worried about tripping over the side can also be done as long as you understand the trade-offs. You can always add a bit to the coaming or put in a rail.