25" shaft on GV11? Or...

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
Buz
Active Poster
Active Poster

25" shaft on GV11? Or...

Post by Buz »

I've built an FB11 rowboat, love it, but its too slow for trolling for spanish. So I think I need a GV11. One reason for the GV is that it'll allow me to use the same board-runner setup I use for the FB11 or a kayak on a utility trailer.

Another reason is I already have a fairly new 6hp 25" Sailpro kicker that I want to use. Can I just raise the transom and knees to the height I need?

Or should I be looking to trade motors while I'm building the boat?
Some people are heroes. Some others just want a pic
Push the envelope. Watch it bend.
FB-11 Jean Bille in 2017, rebuilt '23

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: 25" shaft on GV11? Or...

Post by TomW1 »

Buz wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:21 pm I've built an FB11 rowboat, love it, but its too slow for trolling for spanish. So I think I need a GV11. One reason for the GV is that it'll allow me to use the same board-runner setup I use for the FB11 or a kayak on a utility trailer.

Another reason is I already have a fairly new 6hp 25" Sailpro kicker that I want to use. Can I just raise the transom and knees to the height I need?

Or should I be looking to trade motors while I'm building the boat?
Sure go ahead and raise the transom on the GV11. It shoud be no problem I road on a GF16 with 25HP and a 25" shaft.

=

gv
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

The GV11 is Evan's boat design I thought. It would be a question for the designer.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Buz
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Buz »

Thanks. I welcome opinions and ideas while waiting for him to check in.

I'm also thinking of lowering the sheer in the bow a couple inches, with a small deck for the trolling motor puck. Figure that'll be my ballast, so's I can sit in back.

A tiny, wide, flats and coastal creek boat, that should cut the sound chop better than a SK. It can fish two, and with enough freeboard to handle the wakes of 65ft Sportfishers on plane 20ft away while I'm tied up to bridge pilings on the ICW.

A GV11LS.

Evan_Gatehouse
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Evan_Gatehouse »

The GV10 is smaller / cheaper so if you only carry 2 people consider it. It's still a very big 10' dinghy

Yes, you can raise the transom for the light 6 HP motor, but not for planing speeds with a 9.9 or 15. Modifications are up to the builder.
designer: FB11/GV10,11,13/ HMD18/
SK17,MM21/MT24

Buz
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Buz »

I weigh 140. Lbs, not kilos. The outside of the hull will be glassed and the bottom heavily slathered with graphite. Otherwise the boat will be built to plan.

I have no tight size/weight requirements and the GV10 and GV11 both use 4 sheets, so I prefer the bigger of the two.

With the 6horse being right at the edge of planing, will one of these hulls be more likely than the other to get over the hump?