Laguna Madre 18'

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Laguna Madre 18'

Post by Jeff »

Very nice!! Congrats, Jeff

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

That is one fine looking boat you have built! And it seems to be working out better than you had hoped so that is a huge bonus :D I looked but did not see what are you using for a motor?

Jerid Ray
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jerid Ray »

Fuzz wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 1:43 pm That is one fine looking boat you have built! And it seems to be working out better than you had hoped so that is a huge bonus :D I looked but did not see what are you using for a motor?
Yamaha 50 two stroke 2007 power tilt and trim.
Hydro drive hydraulic steering.
Atlas jackplate.

Jerid Ray
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jerid Ray »

This boat comfortably fishes two anglers (+me) with ease and comfort.

Tempress casting seat on an adjustable height pole for the driver was one of my accidental favorite moves. No more back aches from standing all day driving the skiff. It goes way up for high leaning driving and stool height for comfy seating driving. Not sure why this isn't a thing in Skiffs.

The two Tempress seats are comfy as hell for two anglers.
The pockets on the back of the back packs end up being great quick storage for phones and wallets. Plus I can slide a life preserver in each bag to keep storage in the boat open. If I have one guy? No prob. Slide the seat out. My bench seat takes the award though. The storage underneath just SLAPS. NO MORE LOOSE JUNK AROUND THE BOAT.

I lost draft with some the creature comforts like I said, wouldn't do anything different if I did it again. I think its the law of diminishing returns chasing that sub 5-6" draft. I made it my mission to get this thing stuck. it just pushed right out once you hopped out (gator glide for the win). I caught fish way shallow and had no issue getting to everywhere I needed to go , to do so. Every time someone got out I gained .5-to 1 inch of draft. With no one in it and 15gallons of fuel up front (90lbs) I'm drafting right at 4" at the stern.

I did not follow recommendations on prop height. I put my jackplate as high as it would go. I put the motor in the second highest setting it could go. Jacked all the way my prop is half out of the water. All the way down achieves recommended heights

I can get up in SILLY low water. Low water scoops+cav plate were a must and they work welllllll.

Boat needs ZERO trim tabs ever.

The draw back is that it is VERY sensitive with cav plate, four blade and tunnel when it comes to running after getting up. One click on trim can change your grab. Cav plate has to be just right height. With the prop and cav plate creating so much lift it has to be tuned just right once you are up and running when you take off. IT ALWAYS feels light in the ass end when on plane because of it. There are always drawbacks to everything but I'll take the stupid low water running this boat does. Its still very comfortable and easy to tune after getting up.

THIS BOAT SLIDES SO WELL WHEN YOU WANT!!!

jacked all the way, trimmed up I can slide over 2" of water sand bars lower my trim as I finish sliding over and use the tunnel to carve right out. Bombing through shallow marsh I can just adjust trim for 3-4" of water. As it slides on turns just adjusting trim gets me traction, adjust back up with prop half.out of water chipping away. Dudes in the boat were just flabbergasted at how shallow this boat ran.

Can't say enough. This boat just flat out kicks ass. What a design. It poles so good. Its so balanced. Its not tippy at all. I'm impressed.
Attachments
IMG_20230909_121052.jpg
IMG_20230913_131147_02.jpg

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

It is great when a new build makes the builder so happy. It sure sounds like the boat is perfect for you.

Jerid Ray
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jerid Ray »

Re worked my whole gas tank. Bought a 15 gallon tank. Had my welder reposition the fuel bung and fill neck angle. Glassed in oak supports. Faired it. Gator base and gator glide. Ratchet slots and ratchet straps. Keeps my weight low. Still can't believe the performance of this boat. I've put a few thousand miles on it now. Couldn't be happier.

Finally took some good photos.
Attachments
IMG_20231018_152038712.jpg
IMG_20231018_161818549.jpg
IMG_20231018_161825775.jpg
IMG_20231016_172119884.jpg
IMG_20231018_161830900.jpg
IMG_20231018_161841318.jpg
DSC03206.jpg
DSC03109.jpg
DSC03162.jpg
IMG_20230909_131615650.jpg
DSC03525 (1).jpg
DSC03645.jpg
DSC03447 (1).jpg
DSC03455.jpg
DSC03416 (1).jpg

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Beautiful boat!!! Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Very nice boat!! Jeff