VG23 New Build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: VG23 New Build

Post by Jeff »

Good to hear from you Mick!!! Jeff

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

Dry-fitted the starboard cockpit seat cleats yesterday. Just about to start fitting them permanently today.

Also cut shelves for the cabin and dry fitted.

Mick

FB11 (Designer Evan Gatehouse)
VG23 (Designer Jacques Mertens)

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Robert A. Heinlein.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice progress Mick!!! Jeff

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

Thanks Jeff,

The past few days Ive spec'd out the kicking-strap/boom-vang and main-sheet purchase and ordered some parts. Also the main-sheet traveller slide and car. I'm going to use the purchases to assist when turning over the boat to fit the keel.

In the boat I've been dry-fitting shelves and the berth seat-backs in the cabin and glassing some other parts - lots of small jobs. Need to finish off the cockpit lockers this week and then get them final-sanded and the first bit of primer in there. I'll post some photos of progress in a day or two.

Mick

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Robert A. Heinlein.

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

Some photos of progress. Port and starboard cockpit lockers are more or less completed now, with symmetrical open fuel compartments. Main change to the plans was that I included a strengthening cleat of solid timber diagonally to the large lockers on each side. These larger lockers are much bigger than they appear in the pics and this was mainly to provide a solid attachment point to tie things down to (e.g. outboard/anchor, etc. etc.). In a blow I don't want large heavy things moving around in there and the 3/8" bulkheads just aren't enough to be certain of, in my opinion. Plus the hull in that region was the largest span of ply on the boat, so adding a strengthening "beam" across it will help keeping the hull ply rigid. I also included two/three similar attachment points on the hull bottom. Holes drilled, filled with putty, and redrilled, then rounded and attached wtih 6oz biax. Five (relieved) holes drilled in the port/starboard beams and two in the ones on the hull bottom. Strong solid attachment points that line can be safely anchored to, and I'm happy with them despite it taking some time to make and get them right.

I also cut two "shelves" that can be fitted at an angle above this main "beam" with 1/4" inch bolts (will use wingnuts). Smaller items can be stored on these shelves and covered over with elastic net/webbing. They can be removed if/when not needed.

You can see the starboard locker also has a small box-like compartment to store liquid (e.g. oil/cooker-alcohol) upright. I'll glass that in tomorrow.

Today I glued in cleats for the shelving in the main cabin (will remove temporary screws tomorrow). I also rough-cut the starboard shelf for the forecabin - photos for those to follow. Need to measure/cut/attach cleats for the forecabin shelves also.

The past week or so I've also had a production line of parts that have been glassed with 4oz cloth. These are mostly the shelves themselves (as they are likely to get plenty of use), but also the cockpit seat-backs (inside) and cabin seat-backs (inside). Would be difficult to fix/repair if they do get beat up wtih things moving around inside, so I took the view that it was worth the effort and the small weight addition, in terms of long-term maintenance.

Plenty still to do of course...

Some of the things I've ordered started arriving (anchors/chain/rode/blocks/etc/). The main traveller arrived today, in a 4' long box, that was bent at roughly 60 degrees. Understandably I refused delivery...I'll wait to hear what the supplier says - hopefully another will be on the way soon.

Mick

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

Interesting site showing construction of a 8.71m (~27') Serpentaire - designed by the original Serpentaire designer Bernard Veys.

https://serpentaire851.over-blog.com/

Ply on frame and certainly different to Jacques' VG26. Looks a really nice boat although I'd need a bigger garage to build anything larger than the current one :-)

Mick

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

Did more on the framing of the shelves and seatbacks in the main cabin. Dry fitted bottom shelf and looks okay. The three bottom vertical cleats aren't glued in yet. While the ply is bent, the horizontal cleats are bang-on level, even if they don't look it in the photo!

All shelves will be "fiddled".

Also cleats and dry-fitted a shelf in the forecabin. I'm trying to get most stuff cut and ready to go before I start on some truly miserable sanding.

Trying to get done what I can before a couple of weeks away for some pre-Christmas sunshine.

Mick

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

Sailing dinghys in Jamaica is a lot more fun than building boats in New Mexico...

Nice to be back on the water again.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Enjoy Mick!!! Jeff

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

Sailing up and down the beach at Negril in a Hobie cat...decent 5-10 knot breeze.

Further down the beach. Not sure what happened here, but doesn't look good!