Duet power catamaran launched

Post your launchings, and post-launch adventures here. Please keep the to plan/date format.
Dinis Matias
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Duet power catamaran launched

Post by Dinis Matias »

Dan, baloney is a cheap meat sandwich, I totaly agree with your comments.
After so many people congratulate me on my build, I have to admit that I have done a decent job out a mediocre plans and that reflects on my skills and not on the plans.
On my design brief, I ask for a full time off marinas live aboard and I present the floor layout of the saloon, witch is my design not his.
On the plans provided to me, didn't even include the location of water tanks, batteries,etc etc.
There isn't a single aspect of this design that I didn't modify including the hulls and if it was today, would modify even more.
One thing is true, no 68 years old client should be doing a major job after the build, like BB to rectifie a major design flaw. No one.

TomTom
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by TomTom »

Wow Dinas - our build looks incredible. You certainly have modified a lot from the original.

I see both you and Dan have had similar issues that required some serious retrofitting.

If you did it all again would you use a different set of plans/ hull type from the start?

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

Dinis Matias wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:13 am Dan, baloney is a cheap meat sandwich, I totaly agree with your comments.
After so many people congratulate me on my build, I have to admit that I have done a decent job out a mediocre plans and that reflects on my skills and not on the plans.
On my design brief, I ask for a full time off marinas live aboard and I present the floor layout of the saloon, witch is my design not his.
On the plans provided to me, didn't even include the location of water tanks, batteries,etc etc.
There isn't a single aspect of this design that I didn't modify including the hulls and if it was today, would modify even more.
One thing is true, no 68 years old client should be doing a major job after the build, like BB to rectifie a major design flaw. No one.
My BBs cost about $4000.

The time requirements have been maybe 16-20 weeks added. And all the really needed to be done is fuller hulls which would have costed maybe what ?$400-$1000. So, very frustrating.

As I got into the build, I was also informed the beams would have been placed upside down as a bettter method. And that they needed to be torqued down onto a solid surface.

Again, I think the boats are beautiful, but RW ought to address the deficiencies. He has pulled the plans for my boat as it is simply too hard to build.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Dinis Matias
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Dinis Matias »

Tom Tom and Dan, if was today I would have gone with a different designer and plans, but the overall design brief would remained the same. I only can comment on the plans that was provided to me.
The Skoota 36 has the potential to be an outstanding design, but not as it is now, in my opinion.
I did spend about $5000 USD, rectfifying the design flaw and the volume calculation done by another NA.

My design brief was more or less like this;
I want a full time live aboard off marinas.
I want 360 degrees visibility, seated down or standing up.
I present a 1:1 scale drawing of the floor plan layout with the location for the washing machine.

I made perfectly clear that I didn't want any suprises, because I will have no time to recuperate financially, due to my age.

Well, I had a big suprise, altought it didn't put me in a bad finantial position, but did put me in lot of strain mentally and fisically on my 68 years old body and mind.