FS17—looking for real-world prop recommendations

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
MS-FS17
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

FS17—looking for real-world prop recommendations

Post by MS-FS17 »

Hello forum members

It’s just about time to launch my FS17. The boat has never been in the water, and I hope forum members can give me some real-world prop recommendations.

The boat is a little heavier than Jacques originally planned—glassed inside, beefed up seams and transom, center console, leaning post, side decks, and I’m using a Honda BF60, ~35 lbs. heavier than a BF40/50. Honda says WOT should give me 6000 RPM. I’ll be running the boat in Mississippi Sound and out to the barrier islands off the Mississippi Gulf Coast—not exactly open-ocean, but not a lake. For now, I will be mostly going from point A to point B with 2-3 people (max 600 lbs.) in the boat. Once I find the right prop for general use, I’ll have a starting point for a prop for towing tubes/skiers, etc.

I would appreciate all input from FS17 owners--no matter which motor you are using. It would be helpful to let me know the prop brand, model, 3 or 4 blades, diameter, pitch, stainless steel or aluminum, boat load, typical operating conditions, max RPM, max speed, gph, and anything else you can think of.

Thank you in advance, and I’ll post pictures when I launch, hopefully within a couple of weeks!

Bill

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: FS17—looking for real-world prop recommendations

Post by joe2700 »

I have a very heavy FS17 with a suzuki 60hp.

In this post I detail the performance with an 11-1/4 x 15 cheap aluminum prop from amazon
viewtopic.php?p=497464#p497464

Since then I have adopted an 11-1/4 x 14 stainless prop from the powertech SRD line. I think similar but slightly better performance and decreased ventilation. I still get ventilation on sharp turns so I might try a 4 blade but I also thing the problem could be my keel strip so may try modifying that first. It's no longer a significant problem. Still need to do a detailed performance test of that prop like I did the first one.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Bill, I have been propping boats for guys on here for years. The thing I will need is the weight of your boat as it sits at the dock with all gear, passengers, etc. Then what motor you are using do not add it is weight to the boat. I will add its weight and come up with top speed. My formula comes up with a SS prop within 1 pitch of what you will need. So, if your tach is at or near the perfect range you are good. I have done 2 or 3 FS17's with different props. The weight of the boat is the most critical number I need.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

MS-FS17
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by MS-FS17 »

Tom, Joe—thank you for taking the time to reply to my post. I am looking forward to weighing the boat, and I’ll re-post when I have good loaded/unloaded numbers. Regards, Bill