C17 instructions

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
BBK

C17 instructions

Post by BBK »

Does the plans for C17 have any Instructions?
There is no mention of how best to join panels, how to laminate stringers, etc

I do see the dimensions, but no instructions on assembly of stringers, panels, transom, etc

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: C17 instructions

Post by narfi »

I dont have the C17 plans, but I do have the fs17 and fs19 and hc14 so might be similar.
Did you get a folder of pfds? Check the subfolders, there should be plans as well as instructions, if not you can check with Jeff or Reid, they are super helpful when you contact them.

OlivierP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by OlivierP »

There are 6 pages of building notes, but they're not a step by step guide, you have to read between the lines and rely on some wood-epoxy know-how and generic instructions, or common sense... In particular, the guides "self aligning jig system" and "how to cut notches in stringers and frames" have been useful for me.

Just finished my C17, if you have questions just ask.

Good luck !
Built C17 (app.php/gallery/album/262), GF14, Devlin Bella 16. Sails a 30ft Biloup 89 sailboat.

OlivierP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by OlivierP »

For stringers and transom, you pre-coat each side to be glued with raw epoxy, then lay slightly thickened epoxy evenly on one side, assemble and apply some gentle pressure. For large panels like the transom, it may be useful to drill several small holes in the top layer to allow excess epoxy to flow and avoid air trapped inside. You fill the holes later as needed. A few temporary screws may be used to apply pressure evenly and ensure proper alignment between panels while the glue sets. Make sure to glue on a flat surface to avoid warped pieces.
Built C17 (app.php/gallery/album/262), GF14, Devlin Bella 16. Sails a 30ft Biloup 89 sailboat.

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

...and put a sheet of plastic under the panels to avoid gluing them to the floor! Don't ask how I know this... 8)
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

The plans are not a 'how to build a boat manual.'

There's some tutorials on here, plenty of posts from people that have built their own C17s and videos on youtube etc for proceedures.

You can also start a thread and keep a journal. People will join in and help you.

Your plans will have a LS part (either pdf or paper) and a C17 complete part, which has some information on the general proceedure for any power boat on a jig. I documented my build fairly well, so a search of my thread will help avoid some of the many issues I worked through.

bklake
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bklake »

Check in here https://boatbuildercentral.com/tutorials/ There are several manuals that go into specific details that are briefly mentioned in the plans. There may be specific instructions for your model but I didn't see any for the C17. It really fills in the gaps in the plans.

In a more perfect world, the plans would point you to the specific manual but they don't so you have to do it on your own.

bklake
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bklake »

double click, sorry