Using molds for frames?

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
Buz
Active Poster
Active Poster

Using molds for frames?

Post by Buz »

Several boats here use the molds as frames after flipping.

I went under my upside-down stitched hull today and was surprised (a bit) to see the hull is touching practically nothing except the top of the molds.

But was greatly surprised that the gap around the sides and bottom is faaar wider than would be filled with fillets.

Whutup widdat?
Some people are heroes. Some others just want a pic
Push the envelope. Watch it bend.
FB-11 Jean Bille in 2017, rebuilt '23

OlivierP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Using molds for frames?

Post by OlivierP »

Well, assuming there is no cutting error in the panels, frames or jig, it would mean that the hull has not reached its intended shape yet. It may take time for plywood to relax, twist and bend as required, and a little help with weights, belts or temporary screws may be required to pull the panels close to the frames.
Built C17 (app.php/gallery/album/262), GF14, Devlin Bella 16. Sails a 30ft Biloup 89 sailboat.

Buz
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Buz »

I went another way. I decided that since it looked sooo good and fair and right the way it hangs there that I was ready to keep going.

I was more concerned about how y'all boats with the mold-frames work than I am about mine.

And while typing this I just realized (!) I haven't even measured my beam. Diagonals are too close to see difference.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

You say the gaps are f0r wider, what is far wider 1/4" 1/2"? You also mention the tips are Touching, this may be keeping them from sitting down properly.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Buz
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Buz »

Over a half up to an inch each side. I'm not using the molds for this boat so I was just wondering. And then I learned something I wasnt expecting, huh.

I went back through the build notes last night and see the caution to watch for excess flair. Don't know why that didnt stick before.

Its tacked. Might as well consider that if you have recommedations at this point.

Sure felt like pushing the tips in flaired the sides, and unflairing the sides pushed the tip forward. The tips, both sides and bottoms, meet hard and with even gap before that droop is out with the front frame where it is. The high spot along the sheer is only 18" back, in front of the frame it needs to bend around. Thats a lot of bending right in the ends of the panels to take out that droop. I considered cutting a wider tapered slot between the halves. But it seems another frame at 12" or so is still needed to bend that short section against anyway.

Maybe starting stitching at the bow without first screwing the transom in place would allow things to work. But still would need something to do the job of a frame closer than 21" from the tip, and the panel ends gap evenly as is, so I dont think that's it, either.

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

An inch doesn't sound like much to me. They're just throw away molds right? You'll cut the frames to fit. Seem to me if it's fair and symmetrical things are fine. How close is the beam measure to the plans?

Dougster

Buz
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Buz »

Gaps are up to an inch each side. Beam is an inch plus over advertized. Not going to worry further about it, my boat doesn't use the molds as frames.

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Those molds were just recomendations. The ply took them into account then did what was best. Wood knows 8)

Dougster

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

A lot of builders will add a board, or two, three or more depending on size, to hold the sides to the correct beam after the molds are removed. This is after the flip. Then you can measure and cut out the frames knowing that the beam is correct. Once the frames are tacked, the boards can be removed then finish filleting and taping the frames.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Buz
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Buz »

That's what I'll do, then. Thanks.