NC16 Started & the Questions Begin

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
FishHazard
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

NC16 Started & the Questions Begin

Post by FishHazard »

Today I started what will be my test NC16 before we begin three seperate boats for our summer school class projects. My objective is to map out a time schedule in order that we might actually float each of the boats at the end of the session. I do not want to get to the end of the session, have all of the students go home for the rest of the summer, and have the boats still sitting in our work area!

Onto my questions. Today I marked the side and bottom panels but need to clarify the relationship of the cheap canoe plans and the additional NC 16 pages. First, is the the base line for the bottom edge of the side panel measured 12" from the top edge? I hope so because that is how I measured and I would prefer not to go back and do it again. Second, is the 37 mm mark on the bottom edge of the side panel the same for the NC16? Finally, on the additional pages I see the a measurement of 295 (which I assume is mm) on the junction of the plywood pieces on the side panels. Is that the correct measurement. Seems odd that everything I downloaded is in inches, yet this is not.

Anyways, thanks for any future assistance. If I can figure out the picture proccess I will start posting pictures as the boat starts taking shape.

Dave B.

nort
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by nort »

I'll see if I can help. I have the butt blocked panels for a nice canoe sitting out on my front porch out of the rain while I wait to put it together.

My download had the metric and the english plans, but I see the 295mm mark you are talking about on the english plans. I used the metric plans since the measurements are so much easier to make.

The angled ends of the panel are 335mm wide and the straight ends are 295mm wide. I mark the end of the panel with my tick mark. I then measured up from there 335mm and made a second mark. I then measured 221mm from there to find the end of the bottom edge of the panel. I subtracted 2219mm the length of the panel from 2440mm the length of the plywood sheet to come up with the 221mm. I then measured up from the bottom edge of the panel to make sure I was still at 335 mm. I put a tick mark there. I then used a straight edge to connect the two tick marks and I had one end of the panel.

I then went to where the two panels meet. I measured 295mm from the edge of the plywood to find the bottom edge of the panel. I marked both panels at that time. I then measured off the angled end on the second plywood sheet the same way I had the first.

I then took my pvc batten and connected the dots on the bottom of the panel to draw a smooth curve.

The edge of the plywood is the baseline to make all of your measurements on the side panels. Also, you only need to measure out one set of panels. Cut them out and then use them to scribe the second set of panels.

I hope this helps.

JollyLolly
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JollyLolly »

Hi Dave,
Glad to see you've gone with the NC16's rather than CC. Good choice. Hey, it also gave you access to the best boatbuilding forum on the net :D

First off let me say DON"T LOOK AT THE CHEAP CANOE DIMENSIONS AT ALL. The NC16 plans are totally self contained. Use the method, as it is the same, but all the dimesions you need are on the 3 pages you received by e-mail. ie dwg's 227/1, 227/2 and 227/3. (Well the metric version at any rate)

227/3 shows the nesting of all the pieces. All the dimensions are in mm (if you got the metric dwgs). Although, sounds like you may have got the foreign version :wink:
Check my gallery at
http://gallery.bateau2.com/thumbnails.php?album=284
I taped the 2 boards together, and the only tools I used to mark were a ruler/tape measure and the square, oh! and a pencil also came in handy :roll: . I tried as best I could to give a running commentary of the steps I took along the way.

All dimesions on dwg 227/2 are taken from the edges of the boards, the centre of the boat (where the 2 boards join), or the centre line of the bottom (which is the centre line running down the length of the boards). All dimesions are perpindicular to these 3 reference lines.

On the CC plan:
My math fails me, so I can't say what it's called, but the 37mm you refer to is the difference between the 305mm and the distance from the edge of the board to the bottom of the side panel. The metric NC plan equiv is 335mm minus the 295mm you refer to, which gives 40mm. I guess the extra length means a longer arc, therefore a bigger difference.

Whew, putting this in words is not easy. If you could see my hands, you'd know exactly what I'm talking about.

I hope this helps.... looking forward to seeing the pics. Yup, getting them on the site is a whole 'nuther ball game :!:
Last edited by JollyLolly on Tue May 31, 2005 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Laurence
Be realistic.... expect miracles !!!
NC

JollyLolly
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JollyLolly »

Oops, I seem to remember getting both metric and "the other" versions, but like Nort, prefer working in metric...
Laurence
Be realistic.... expect miracles !!!
NC

FishHazard
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by FishHazard »

Thanks for the detailed replies guys. Unfortunately I left my plans at home and cannot reference them now. I would prefer to work in metric as well but cannot for the life of me find a measuring tape with such capabilities. I will be looking at the plans tonight as I finish scribing the lines, look forward to clarification. My concern is the fact that my plans say to use the CC plans as reference points and I do not want to cut after placing the lines improperly.

Thanks again,

Dave B.

Rick
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Rick »

FishHazard wrote:I would prefer to work in metric as well but cannot for the life of me find a measuring tape with such capabilities.
Here 'tis: http://www.acehardware.com/product/inde ... Id=1287036

Happy centimeters!

nort
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by nort »

I bought a meter stick at a hobby supply store in the arts supplies. I don't like having to fight with a tape when I'm working alone. The stick just lays there for me.

I think the reference to the cheap canoe is just for the building methods and not the measurements for the panels. Not ony is the Nice canoe longer, the bottom is wider and the sides are higher. Use the measurements on the Nice Canoe plans and just use the Cheap Canoe for the building tutorial.

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

I bought a metric tape measure from Home Depot about 2 weeks ago. Out of the dozens there was only one in metric. Walmart has metal meter/yard sticks for about $3.

Joel

FishHazard
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by FishHazard »

Alright, I got the measuring issues taken care of and have half of a canoe cut out. Only had a short window of time today. As a result I only managed to finish scribing all the lines after review of the marks I made yesterday and cutting out the pieces from one panel. BTW my plans only had a download option for US measurements. I looked over and over again at my email that had the download and I do not see any option for metric.

Moving on,

Dave B.