OD16 glassbottom project begins!

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Fishnchamp1
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Fishnchamp1 »

absolutely awesome link! someone somehwere has had this idea before, whew! :D
Take the booty and flog the crew!

Old E.
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Old E. »

Jerry beat me to the punch. Aquasport had that as an option in the early '70's. There are still a few around. A lot of guys fill them in on rebuilds, some don't. They have lasted 30+ years.

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

You can calculate the force that will be on that size of a window at planning speed, but I can tell you it not going to work without major work. If you cant calculate that force - then I would say its a good indication you are over your head with this modification. :D 8O

A "porthole" would be a lot easier to pull off.

Joel

gk108
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by gk108 »

Is it 1" acrylic (plexiglass) or lexan polycarbonate? Polycarbonate will be more tough and resilient than the acrylic. It is also much easier to machine than acrylic. Some of the banks and convenience stores around here use 1¼" polycarbonate as bulletproof glass. It will stop a bullet from a deer rifle at close range without cracking (saw the results of the demo at the glass store).
Both materials are heavy, though. Between the window and the box you build around it, you will be adding a lot of weight to the original design. Good luck.
CC, D15, V10

rjezuit
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by rjezuit »

Stay away from the acrylic, it wwill crack. Go with polycarbonate, it is used in bullet proof glass and to line hockey rinks where frozen pucks hit it at over 100 MPH. It is very heavy and not real easy to work with.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Not recommended for a planing boat.
Besides the strength of the panel itself, I am more worrired about the seam between your "window" and the rest of the boat.
I have seen small boats fitted with a bottom window but they quickly become cloudy.

Did you think of using a glass bottom bucket?
http://www.fossilguy.com/sites/potomac/ ... _found.htm
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Fishnchamp1
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Fishnchamp1 »

the "glass bottom" that i purchased is "cast cell acrylic" While I was looking for the material I had the salesman demonstrate strength of the material. we took a similar size piece of the material (2x5) and wrapped a rag around a 3lb hammer. Research also proved that 3/4" polycarbonate is bulletproof (handgun from less than 10' away). I am fairly confident after beating on this stuff that it can withstand the pressure. I estimate that with the window, box, anchor closet, and gunnels that I will be adding around 150 lbs to the hull weight (unrigged). 16 foot mako's weigh in around 1400 lbs dry so I am fairly confident that it will still float. Maybe have to beef up hp a little :roll: , but that's a whole nother forum.

Jacques, thank you for commenting. I'm definately interested in drawing of others' wisdom throughout this adventure. I agree the seam is the critical point in my design. I will post a drawing to detail what is in my head. (that statement was funny in itself! :P ) I think I have the seam worked out in a way that will withstand the pressures. I hadn't thought about the acrylic clouding, isn't the sun what causes this? If the sun is what causes it, I had planned a lid for the box that houses the window (extra seating is always a good thing!). If the water is the cloudy factor, I plan to trailer this boat, so at least it will only be exposed during use. Oh yeah, buckets are for peein' in! :wink:

Bill

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

That bucket is used by professional divers, bahamian conch fishermen and myself. It is a proven method.
If you really want your glass bottom, build it like a well with the sides going up well above the waterline and seal between the well and the hull.
Then build a box with a glass bottom that slides down in that well and find a way to secure it.

Whichever way you do it, a hole in a hull is always going to weaken it.
You live in Delray, I don't think there will be much to see around there anyway, water isn't that clear. IMHO, it's not worth it but if you enjoy the project, go for it, experiment.

PS: the cloudiness comes from the abrasion. There are often particles of sand suspended in the water and at planing speed, they will act as a slow sandblaster. I knew a Bahamian who owned a glass bottom boat (a slow one) and even at slow speed, they had to change the glass quite often.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Fishnchamp1
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Fishnchamp1 »

You said it Jacques! It's all about enjoying the project! Delray/Boca area only has a couple shallow reefs/wrecks (in the back on my mind, I'm hoping this boat won't become one of them!), but I think it should be something fun in the Keys and Bahamas! Hopefully I could resell for the cost of materials and my new tools in a year or two. I'm guestimating around 5-6k (used Okoume and plan to outfit with Ray electronics, custom fabrics, and maybe some fancy striped decking :roll: , lol goin for the mini Hinckley/Sunseeker style 8) ). Anyone ever sold their used OD16's for a profit?

Daddy

Post by Daddy »

Do they still have that great little diner in Delray Beach? I taught at Lynn University for a semester and the only way I could maintain my sanity was to drive up to Delray and have Sunday breakfast at that diner.
I like Jacques idea about a glass bottomed box that would slide down into the inboard well when you wanted to use it. Eventually if you wanted to you could patch the bottom of that well and use it as a fishbox or just as storage, a cooler or? No harm done.
When using the glass bottom you might want to put a sun shade over the opening just like the old time photographers
Daddy