CH14 by a rookie - starting year 3

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jerry-rigged
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

CH14 by a rookie - starting year 3

Post by Jerry-rigged »

Howdy!
I've been annoying all of ya'll with questions and comments for quite a while, but finally, PROGRESS!!!

WooHooo!!

I cut up the first sheet of ply on Friday.
Not a lot of progress, but it feels like a milestone - finally killed my first sheet of ply :lol:

My standard SkilSaw handled the curves just fine, until I got to the last bit of curved tips. I just "nibbled" away at those, and they came out fine too.

Jerry

Jerry
Last edited by Jerry-rigged on Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Fishing from a paddle boat...

maxgsx
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by maxgsx »

Well done, you are further along than me.

It looks like a boat already :lol:

Flat Fish
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Flat Fish »

Well, where are the pictures of the progress? Too busy building to post them? :lol:

I am anxious to see the finished boat at the get together. Hopefully I'll be there with the chick rods to show off.

Jerry-rigged
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Jerry-rigged »

I've all the panels cut, and the bottom panels glued. I was planning on waiting until I got the side panels glued before I posted another up-date, but seeing as you called me out... lol

About the Builders Bash - My wife got tickets to a comity show (Frank Caliendo) for my birthday - just happens to be the same day as the Bash :? ...

She has this uncanny ability to plan stuff on weekends that I want to do other "me" stuff. :x

We need to just pick a Saturday and go fishing.

Jerry

Jerry-rigged
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Jerry-rigged »

I posted some details about the Texas Builders Bash that FF brought up over on ABB.

http://www.amateurboatbuilding.com:8080 ... t/147.page

Jerry-rigged
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Jerry-rigged »

Spent about an hour in the garage last night - all the long panels are now glued. still need to add FG tape to the backside of all joints, but that should be quick.

So far, no issued working with the goo and glass. I did notice that my kit came with Medium hardner - I was planning on ordering Slow, but forgot when I made the order. Oh well, hopefully I can get the fillets done before it gets warm. By summer, my garage working temps will be 90+, or higher if the cloths dryer is running. Hopefully I'll be done by then, though. If not, I'l just work small batches.

Jerry

Jerry-rigged
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Jerry-rigged »

Real Progress and pics!

The topside panels are only about 1/2 stiched right now - I ran out of wire. Also, because I was running out of wire, I started cutting the wire too short - so most (80%) of my stiched are too tight - so when I get new wire, it will almost be starting over. LOL

Oh well.

Jerry

Pics are from a camra phone. I haven't droped the $$$ on a "real" digital camera yet. A few more pics in my gallery.

Jerry-rigged
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Jerry-rigged »

One other thing - I was having trouble trying to figure out how to "Start" stitching the side panels. Building notes offered not much help - just a "Stich the sides to the bottom" kind of statement. I tried to use the approach talked about in the "CC14" pdf, but I couldn't get it to work by myself. After a break for lunch, I remember a conversation I has with another local builder/fishing buddy (Kurt M. AKA Pogo). His method worked easy as cake.

Start - lay the side panels together, inside to inside. Put 4-5 stitched on the vertical bow and stern seams, but none on the long side. (Have the bottom hull panels stitched at keel, w/ batons or molds in place) Pick up the panels, spread it out middle, and set it on the hull bottom. A few little alignment adjustments later, and I added 2-3 loose stiches on both bow/stern, and it was set enough for a break, or to finish the stiches.

Did any of that make sense? It did work easy.

Jerry

Jerry-rigged
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Jerry-rigged »

Went to Home Depot last night on a quest for more wire. I couldn't find either plain copper or stainless wire, so I came home with a bucket of zip-ties. Now I am a convert! Wow the zipties go much faster and easer, plus no more scratching your fingers and shins on the wire ends. 8) Hull is all stiched now, but I still need to cut out my "too tight" wire stiches and re-stich, so I am really only at about 80%(stiched), I think.

Fun fun fun, even for a slow learner.

Jerry

Flat Fish
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Flat Fish »

Hurry up! :D

I am anxious to see how your boat comes out. We will have to take the kids out for a paddle when you are done.

I was able to stitch the CC with just duct tape. I didn't do a great job of lining everything up, though. They say that with zip ties you can put them all in loose and slowly tighten down until everything is perfect. That will be my method if I ever get started on that D15. Maybe next year!

The boat looks good so far, by the way.