No Excuse

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: No Excuse

Post by cape man »

There isn't glass on the underside of the gunwales, the inside of the sides, or the outside of the console. Larry coated everything with epoxy, but didn't use glass in a lot of the places the plans did not call for. All the seams and connection points are taped, but the surface was epoxy, primer, and paint. All the wood looks solid, including the stained area on the inside of the port transom that comes up above the baitwell. That's why his Dory came in hundreds of pounds lighter than mine!! :roll: :roll:

After sanding, everything that asks for it will be getting multiple coats of new epoxy before any new glass, primer, or paint is applied. Found an area on the back of the T-top that they missed with the pressure washer, but I've told them the next step is to remove all the hardware from the gunwales and start sanding. I'm trying to wrap my head around a way to sand and repaint the console without removing tha gauges, switch panel, etc. I have a small corner sander and the new multi tool has a sanding attachment. I'm less interested in them getting everything faired and shiny as I am making sure the wood is totally protected. The interior may very well end up being "work boat" finished...

Found a piece of hose that will extend the fuel line out over the back of the transom so will start siphoning the fuel out this weekend.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Craig if you want to just fix that scratch on the port side, I recall that Larry used System 3 Vachon Gray for his exterior paint. You are making good progress on her. A couple of other things that you have probably found that I did not get to explain, on the red buoy with the keys is both the trailer lock and the starter key for the boat.

Tom
Last edited by TomW1 on Thu Oct 13, 2022 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

Craig, what weight of cloth do you estimate that Cracker used on the gunwales?
Tom, the exterior paint on No Excuse is white Sterling.
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

Given how meticulous we all know Cracker Larry was in the construction, I, for one, would appreciate a separate thread about what held up best and weathered well since(and maybe what didn’t). I’m thinking, if his work with “x” didn’t hold up as well, there’s no chance mine will.

For instance, this comment caught my eye: “ Good news is he used Sterling on the outside and that all looks great except for a big scratch on the port side above the style line”. Maybe that suggests Sterling is the way to go. (?)

Jbo

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

TomW1 wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 7:15 pm Craig if you want to just fix that scratch on the port side, I recall that Larry used System 3 Vachon Gray for his paint. You are making good progress on her.

Tom
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Aripeka Angler wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 7:17 pm Craig, what weight of cloth do you estimate that Cracker used on the gunwales?
Nope it is to gray to be white Sterling that is what he used on the interior as Sterling was cheaper at the time and is no longer sold in the store. It caused him nothing but problems as can be seen on how it is coming up for Craig. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

TomW1 wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:06 pm
Aripeka Angler wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 7:17 pm Craig, what weight of cloth do you estimate that Cracker used on the gunwales?
Nope it is to gray to be white Sterling that is what he used on the interior as Sterling was cheaper at the time and is no longer sold in the store. It caused him nothing but problems as can be seen on how it is coming up for Craig. Tom

Tom, the interior of No Excuse is S3. The hull exterior is Sterling.
Richard

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Aripeka Angler wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:37 pm
TomW1 wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:06 pm

Tom, the interior of No Excuse is S3. The hull exterior is Sterling.
That is counter to what Larry told me if I am remembering correctly, maybe you could show me something that proves that. Also, the interior was light gray,the Kiwi Grip was gray also, Larry hated a white interior. Tom

cape man

Post by cape man »

Richard is right. Grey S3 interior and white Sterling exterior. Can't prove it in writing as Larry's gone and he deleted the original build thread after having an argument here.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

cape man

Post by cape man »

The cloth looks like 6 ounce.