CH14 by a rookie - starting year 3

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jerry-rigged
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Jerry-rigged »

A little more progress. I got the first coat of primer on the inside of the hull. That primer sure brings out all the little imperfections... :lol: I thought I was pretty close, but not anymore. I also glued some cleats for the breasthooks. Hopefully they will get glued down this week too.

Jerry
Fishing from a paddle boat...

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

Starting to see the light at the end of the build,
Jerry
For some, the tunnel is longer than for others! :lol:

I'd be mixing primer too, but for this canadian blast. 17F this morning. :?

jaygee
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jaygee »

Jerry-

What type of primer is it? How did you apply it?

Goodluck
jaygee

Jerry-rigged
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Jerry-rigged »

The primer is System 3 high-build, and I thinned it about with about 1/6 water and rolled it on with a white foam roller. It went on nice, a little thinner than a good latex indoor paint - it really took two coats to get good coverage. Only about 1/2 the boat got two coats - that side look decent - the half with one coat obvously needs more paint... :lol: Plus I didn't paint all the way to the top of the gunnels, because I still need to glue on the in-whale. So overall, it really looks sloppy now. :roll: Another coat, a bit more fairing, and get the inwhale glued, and it will look a lot better.

Oh yea, and the outside is still rough sanded, so the outside looks like crap too... :lol:

Jerry

jaygee
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jaygee »

jerry-

I am also using S-3 high build sanding primer, but I have more fairing to do on the outside first. Thanks for the tips. I`ll be curious to see how the sanding goes. Did you find that it filled scratches and pits at all?

Goodluck

jaygee

Jerry-rigged
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Jerry-rigged »

When I was Fairing, I tryed my hand at useing a scraper as a first pass to knock down some ridges and rough spots. Several times I somehow got that scraper up on a corner and scratched the hull pretty good. The high build didn't fill them in all the way with one coat. I am going to give it a good 2nd coat before I start sanding again. Maybe the second coat will fill in the scratchs better.

I guess that is a long way to say, no, it didn't really seem to fill in great. I'll defenatly need more fairing goop.

Jerry

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

I found that even though the S3 primer is *high build*, I no longer want to use anything rougher than 100 grit as a final prep for it. You need ALOT of primer to fill 80 grit scratches. For me, two coats filled 120 grit. With two coats you could still see 80 and 100 grit patterns, very slightly. On the other hand, I would not use anything finer than 120 which is probably the limit. I have had no problems with adhesion onmce it sets up. To get the primer off, the only way has been by grinding it off. Adhesion is good!

Dremel with coarse 1/2 inch sanding drum needed to grind back this primer line for some final structural bonding... that was either 100 or 120 grit prep before that primer was applied. :)

Really good adhesion, but since it is water based, I think the key is a final and thorough cleaning of the sand prepped surface. Waterbased coatings do not have the tolerance or bite for *greasy* surfaces as much as solvent based coatings... imho

Jerry-rigged
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Jerry-rigged »

I think I have used nothing but 60 grit so far on my boat 8O - I guess I should plan on a few more coats of pirmer... :lol:

Jerry

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by ks8 »

I would be very interested to know how many coats of primer it takes if you used 60 grit for the final prep. And how much you thinned it? Thanks! Waiting for those pictures when she's done being primed... :)

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

When I was Fairing, I tryed my hand at useing a scraper as a first pass to knock down some ridges and rough spots. Several times I somehow got that scraper up on a corner and scratched the hull pretty good. The high build didn't fill them in all the way with one coat. I am going to give it a good 2nd coat before I start sanding again. Maybe the second coat will fill in the scratchs better.

I guess that is a long way to say, no, it didn't really seem to fill in great. I'll defenatly need more fairing goop.

Jerry
S3 primer is high build in the sense you can put a lot of thinned coat on at one time. Normally by the time you work your way around the boat, rolling on primer, by the time you get back to where you started, its dry enough to hold more. We have put 4 coats on at once.