HB20 Build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Lon
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Lon »

"I am also considering making a model of it out of cardstock ... "
Thar you go. Do it!
Lon FL14, GV11
Montana

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

It may sound awkward, but it is simpler than it sounds.

Get a cheap G.I Joe *action figure*, and measure it with varying scales on a triscale. Find a scale that puts him at about 6 feet tall. Then use that scale to build your model. You can then test fit him in all sorts of ways in different areas of the model.

I haven't seen anyone do this yet and I wonder why...

:)

ks

kiwi
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by kiwi »

ks8 wrote: I haven't seen anyone do this yet and I wonder why...
Be cause there is no "GI Joe goes fishing" boxed set? :D

Tony
Editor in chief
amateurboatbuilding.com

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

kiwi wrote:
ks8 wrote: I haven't seen anyone do this yet and I wonder why...
Be cause there is no "GI Joe goes fishing" boxed set? :D

Tony
Sometimes I am so ignorant of simple truths. Thanks Tony! :lol:

JustMe
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JustMe »

First, I must say that you guys crack me up. :lol:

Second, I will be starting my first build, cardstock model number 1, tonight. I figure that even the model will take me awhile as I am not familiar with many things about the plans or the boat itself.

I suppose that after building a few of the models, building the real thing will feel like bring home an old friend.

As far as the GI Joe goes, my daughter read that post and offered the use of her Ken doll. Apparently HE has fishing gear. :lol:

kiwi
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by kiwi »

JustMe wrote:As far as the GI Joe goes, my daughter read that post and offered the use of her Ken doll. Apparently HE has fishing gear. :lol:
Ah! I only have boys so I am excused for this lack of knowledge! Now the question remains: what does Barbie do when Ken goes fishing?

Tony
PS We told you boat building would be fun 8)
Editor in chief
amateurboatbuilding.com

JustMe
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JustMe »

kiwi wrote:
JustMe wrote:As far as the GI Joe goes, my daughter read that post and offered the use of her Ken doll. Apparently HE has fishing gear. :lol:
Ah! I only have boys so I am excused for this lack of knowledge! Now the question remains: what does Barbie do when Ken goes fishing?
Well, she has that whole Corvette thing. :lol:

Can't wait to start my first model tonight.

JustMe
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JustMe »

It took me a while to understand what was going on, but I think I am starting to understand.

I don't have boat building instructions. What I have are some drawings showing dimensions and building concepts.

I was expecting building instructions. You know, the step by step kind. What I would call, "HB20 for Dummies". This is a series of dimensional drawings that lend themselves to building a boat.

There are some basic instructions about building the HB20, but nothing exact. I can only assume that this is part of the building flexibility that the designer built into his design.

Some of the dimensions don't back any sense though. I have a question that I am hoping Jacques will be able to answer regarding the cockpit sole dimension.

In model land, I have the two major bottom pieces together and one of the hull sides ready for cuting. I am using a 1 foot = 1 inch concept to give me a better feel for what I am doing. Tomorrow I hope to have enough of the model put together that I can post a picture of the progress.

chrisobee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by chrisobee »

Have you looked at the FAQ and How To's? there you will find instructions. Though they are not the specific A-B-C-D-Finis sort of instructions they will give you an idea as to how to proceed.

Lon
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Lon »

"I was expecting building instructions. You know, the step by step kind. What I would call, "HB20 for Dummies". This is a series of dimensional drawings that lend themselves to building a boat."

Go to the top of this page and click "How To's" and read. The directions are applicable to boats built with the stitch and glue method and to a given model as appropriate.

"Some of the dimensions don't back any sense though. I have a question that I am hoping Jacques will be able to answer regarding the cockpit sole dimension."

This thread may be lost in trivia. Start a new one and ask a specific question of Jacques. Best results are one question at a time, it seems.
Lon FL14, GV11
Montana