HB20 Build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
JustMe
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JustMe »

I have a copy of the 'how-to' guideline. It has helped a good deal with the 'what is next' type questions.

As this is my first boat of any size, anything bigger than 8 feet, it just caught me off guard. But, I like a challenge. I think this will give me the right to say, "I can build boats me". (Those of you who are Brainiac fans will understand. :lol: )

JustMe
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JustMe »

The longer I study the plans, the easier I am starting to feel about them.

I have made another change to the plans. I noticed that the front end of the stringers are used to support the beds in the cabin. In an effort to make it easy on me and not do anything to upset the supporting structure of the craft. I will use the other bed area for storage and put in a hanging locker in the aft corner.

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

JustMe wrote:The longer I study the plans, the easier I am starting to feel about them..
Excellent. Building it in your head sort of thing, except you are going with the model first. If there is no project experience yet, the model is the excellent way to go. Many semi complex projects have many variations on approach to completing the project. There is always at least one critical path of managing the smaller tasks, but there are many options in between on what steps you might tackle first, or at the same time. I making all my final extra mod braces now, because they are small and easy to do indoors during winter, and the initial shapes that must define those secondary shapes are already completed. There is a simple enough logical approach as you look the plans over more in depth. Some steps will naturally have to be completed before others. And you have the forum to ask. There are also general books on building with these methods that can be very helpful in general concepts, even if they vary slightly from some of these boats. One such is the Sam Devlin book, I believe still available for sale here. I spent a month browsing it before starting and it was well worth it.

Enjoy the build and learning about building. :) It is very rewarding when things start to come into shape and seams start curing. Step by step will be intuitive and when you look back at accomplishments, you'll see it is much easier than some fears may be trying to tell you before hand. Smile and sing or hum while you build. It's a blast!

Then, when you really get into it, and start slowing down, and feeling the lines and fairness of the wood as you sand, and thinking of little things that would be so convenient, right *there*, then you know you are hopelessly lost, infected, and probably contagious. And then, as Dave says, *Welcome to the ward*. Don't worry about that double-click as the door closes behind you (its for your own good, until the boat is in the water!).

ks

MadRus
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by MadRus »

ks8 wrote:
JustMe wrote:The longer I study the plans, the easier I am starting to feel about them..
If there is no project experience yet, the model is the excellent way to go. Many semi complex projects have many variations on approach to completing the project. There is always at least one critical path of managing the smaller tasks, but there are many options in between on what steps you might tackle first, or at the same time.
I second that opinion. I did a model of the GV17 and by the end, I could tell you all the dimensions of all the parts off the top of my head- in two scales. Plus, it was helpful in imagining the process- where the plans or my understanding might be a little "foggy", etc. And all before I got the real jitters or got-to-finishes, so I was able to ask my questions before I found myself in a situation that required immediate assistance when I actually did build my GV13. I'm about to pick up my 1/2 completed Nina model too. Since I've put off that build for at least a couple years, I thought it might stave off the night sweats. :lol: Just kidding.

JustMe
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JustMe »

Thanks guys. I am starting to understand a few more things here and there. It is starting to come together.

I did realize one thing last night in working on my model. I now know what the proper definition of cure time is.

Cure time is 90% of the amount of time it takes before you realize a mistake you just glued into place.

kiwi
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by kiwi »

JustMe wrote:Cure time is 90% of the amount of time it takes before you realize a mistake you just glued into place.
You are going to make a killer boat builder!

I like your new plan. I would simply do a cutout at the head of the bed where you step down into the cabin much like on a sailing boat v-berth. You could have a slide out bed extension.

Tony
Editor in chief
amateurboatbuilding.com

JustMe
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JustMe »

I hadn't thought about that. There's a good idea.

The new Plan is...

http://gallery.bateau2.com/displayimage ... =438&pos=1

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

As long as you keep the stringers, your changes are fine.

About the buildign notes: they are step by step but we do not repeat every detail that is common to all boats. We go through what is specific to each boat.
The common parts: hwo to draw a frame, how to draw a panel, how to make epoxy, how to fiberglass etc. etc. are all in the HowTo files at this site.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

JustMe
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JustMe »

Thanks Jacques. I was originally wanting to cut the stringers to make the changes for turning the beds sideways. After seeing the plans, I decided that a wiser thing would be to make a foldout cover for the aisle. I am thinking that I could have the folding plywood part on the storage side when not in use.

I would make the cushion/matress like the cushions for the settee cushoins. It would fold in the middle to make a couch when not being used as a bed. I still have to check the dimensions for that but I think there is enough room.

I also like Tony's idea of having a folding/sliding piece for the standing area. If I did that, I might not have to fold the bed up.

I am defineately feeling easier about the build as I get into the plans. This is going to be a real adventure for me. I am looking forward to it.

JustMe
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JustMe »

One thing is for sure, even a novice like myself can get the needed help and information right in one place. Jacques, you have a wonderful forum here for us builders.

I am moving forward with my cardstock model of the HB20. I should have the model in such shape this weekend that I can take a picture of it and have it look like something.

As I am going through the building process, I can see the places that I would have had problems with if I had just jumped into the build blind. The internal structure of the boat is different from anything I had even looked at before.

The one thing I am still in dread of the most is the fiberglassing of the hull. I haven't work with epoxy more than using it as a glue. I might take my eight foot boat, sand off all that paint, and fiberglass it as a sample project to get my feet wet.