Sterling Paint

sterling L.P. topcoats and primers
tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Sterling Paint

Post by tech_support »

This section is being created to provide focussed support for Sterling topcoats. Please read out tutorial on Rolling and Tipping with Sterling Topcoat.......

http://www.boatbuildercentral.com/help/ ... ll_tip.htm

Our goal is to put a professional looking "yacht" finish within the reach of the amateur, whether it be a new boat or a repair.

----We would like to welcome Mark Billingsley of Sterling Coatings as a member top the forum (username: Billingsley)-----

Joel Shine
E-Boat

ArizonaBuilder
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by ArizonaBuilder »

Our goal is to put a professional looking "yacht" finish within the reach of the amateur,
Wow, a whole forum devoted to a product. Profit margins must be pretty good.

I don't know about everyone else but paint that runs around 300.00 a gallon is not in the range of an amateur. Even with the quoted deep discounts bringing it down to the price of Awlgrip at 200.00 a gallon is not within my budget. I still believe S3 topcoat and primer are the best deals for the money.

It maybe very good paint, but so is a BMW, and you won't see me driving one. We are a bunch of amateur's with amateur budgets and I see this product as something a professional would be using. I think you guys should be pushing products that are affordable.

Now if only you could price it within the reach of an amateur.
Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
-- Benjamin Franklin

MadRus
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by MadRus »

I have to respectfully disagree (a little) with the esteemed member from Arizona. While I agree in general with your point about prices, I think S3 and this stuff compliment each other in the lineup. If I were building a boat right now, yes, I would prefer to get a great "value" out of my finishing products because I'd be on a tight budget.

However, I think you'll find a lot of builders who are looking at repainting a past project and they don't have the tremendous cost of construction looming. They're just looking at the cost of paint as a distinct element. When you view it that way, it doesn't seem as outrageous. I might accept spending $200.00 on a gallon of paint to really bring my boat to another level- finish wise. But if I were just building, then adding that on top of 3,500 or more seems like a bigger deal- to me.

That said, S3 IS, in my opinion, a great value in marine quality finish, and water base, etc., make it my favorite.

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

We want offer supplies for the entire spectrum of finish. This paint is not for everyone, but neither is Silvertip Epoxy, BS1088 Okoume, or brand new engines for that matter.

Its actually a very good value for what you get. Go and get a quote for an awlgrip spay job on your boat. I have seen quotes for over $200 a foot for a full paint job (with primer and all), you can get the same finish here for 1/4 that amount or less.

Joel

anonymous

Post by anonymous »

So what ever happened with that canoe? I'd be really interested in seeing some pictures of what that bumpy area in the 4th picture ended up looking like, as well as the whole canoe.

Laszlo

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

Its in my garage waiting to be finished :( I will take some shots of it and post them.

Laszlo
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Laszlo »

Know how that happens. Too bad about having to pay the rent, huh? Though in a way , Joel, you have a unique opportunity with your job - you're going to be the only guy on the planet whose $250 canoe will have a $1000 paint job :D

On a more serious note, I read the tutorial a couple of times and tried to calculate just how much it would cost to paint my V12. I'm planning for the entire bottom to be covered with graphite/epoxy (the oyster shells here are pretty nasty) and for the interior to be a combination of brightwork and non-skid. Since the whole point of Sterling seems to be its glossiness, there doesn't seem to be much point in using it in a non-skid finish.

That leaves only the outside sides, which I calculate to be about 60 sq ft of area. So I'm figuring a 1 qt kit for the topcoat. The place where I'm getting into trouble is trying to figure out how much primer I'd need.

On the high build it says 160 sq ft per gallon kit. Is that for 2 coats?

Same thing for the finish primer. Is that 150 sq ft per gallon kit for 2 coats?

So for my best case numbers I'm getting:

1/2 gallon kit high build primer
1/2 gallon kit finish primer
1 qt kit topcoat

Do these numbers sound reasonable?

Thanks,

Laszlo

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

Yes, I think so if your pretty fair to start. It more than 2 coats though. For the high build the pot life is several hours. So you mix up a pint (or so) then you roll on one coat, then put a cover over the paint and roller and come back in 45 minutes or so for another coat. You end up putting quite bit down and it will fill in a lot of small holes. Next day you sand it and put down another pint (or so).

The finish primer is 1.5 quarts (its 2/1).

Because your topcoat will be so thin, you use less paint compared to S3. the finish primer is white and assuming you have not sanded though it in any spots your paint will go a lot further.

Dont forget the brushing reducer - its the magic ingredient

I think I posted it somewhere, but anyone building a bateau design gets 25% off the prices at BBC. We are putting coupons in all the new plans going out, but the offer is good to all.

Joel

Laszlo
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Laszlo »

Thanks Joel,

I was figuring the brushing reducer in all my numbers already, I just wasn't sure if I was calculating the overall required quantities correctly.

So now I'll go off and crunch the numbers and decide just how much having the shiniest and slickest V12 on the planet is worth to me.

Laszlo

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

Laszlo wrote: just how much having the shiniest and slickest V12 on the planet is worth to me.
Laszlo
Its worth something to me also, check your email.

Joel