knottyBuoyz III The TW28 Project

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Knottybuoyz
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: knottyBuoyz III The TW28 Project

Post by Knottybuoyz »

Today's vLog goes live on YT at 11:00 EST. You can see it here early. https://youtu.be/mn6XbuMWZHM

We had some good weather followed by a flash freeze! As some of you South of the Border (Can/US) in the NE States go hammered too. Temps are looking better in the weeks to come, maybe we've turned the corner if Mother Nature can get her sh*t figured out.

Standby....
Yours Aye! Rick
"It's not the boat "you built" until you've sworn at it, bled on it, sweated over it, cried beside it and then threatened to haul the POS outside and burn it!"

Knottybuoyz
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Knottybuoyz »

Today in the boat shed. Still cold and damp. Did a lil' wood butchering on the carcass for our storage space.

Levelled up.

Cleats going in. Just dryfit for now. Sort of a proof of concept thing I guess. Got no experience building stuff like this. Didn't want to do drawers. We'll use plastic totes.

That's it for today. Cheers!
Yours Aye! Rick
"It's not the boat "you built" until you've sworn at it, bled on it, sweated over it, cried beside it and then threatened to haul the POS outside and burn it!"

Knottybuoyz
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Knottybuoyz »

Yours Aye! Rick

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice work Rick!! Jeff

Knottybuoyz
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Knottybuoyz »

narfi wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:19 pm Mass of wires comming to this location.
Probably more like a "Mess of wires" narfi :lol:
Yours Aye! Rick

Knottybuoyz
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Knottybuoyz »

Latest vLog update is live on YouTube now.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/4xR9_BUsEWY?si=h6fmyOsWqSu4SV2F[/youtube]

Yours Aye! Rick

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

Knottybuoyz wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:17 am
Have you made decisions on electronics and electrical systems? I've been doing some retrofit with lithium and solar on my catamaran and the more I read and learn and do, the more I'm convinced if I was starting from scratch I would go with 48v. Smaller and cheaper electronics and much smaller wiring which is not just lighter, it's much easier to fit, route and work with. (I've got a couple of pretty good runs of 4/0 cable because I'm working with 12v.

Knottybuoyz
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Knottybuoyz »

narfi wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:06 pm
Knottybuoyz wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:17 am
Have you made decisions on electronics and electrical systems? I've been doing some retrofit with lithium and solar on my catamaran and the more I read and learn and do, the more I'm convinced if I was starting from scratch I would go with 48v. Smaller and cheaper electronics and much smaller wiring which is not just lighter, it's much easier to fit, route and work with. (I've got a couple of pretty good runs of 4/0 cable because I'm working with 12v.
I designed a full elec system when I was working with some Elec Engineers at Coast Guard. That was a long time ago and obviously what was done is out of date. i have some experience with LifeP0 and solar etc. rewiring our RV. I'm invested heavily in 12 volt equipment, Renogy, and will have to follow through with that. The boat will actually have two separate elec 12 volt systems. One for house loads and one separate for the windlass and bow thruster. The house batts are 2x 200 AH Renogy LifePo4's and the Windlass/Bow Thruster will run off of a single 200 AH AGM because of the higher demands. Wire runs will be short. The batts will be located very close to the loads such as the Inverter/MPPT controllers, DC/DC charger & auto transfer switch etc. I should be somewhere near installing those systems this fall. *Fingers Crossed* Solar so far is 2x 135 watt mono crystal panels and 1x 100 watt flexible for the AGM.

Still an unimaginable amount of work to do.

Cheers!
Yours Aye! Rick

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

Sounds like a well thought out system! Will you have a start battery as well or will the wireless battery also be here for the engine?

I think I remember you were going to use a small gas generator. Are you planning on utilizing an oversized alternator for the house bank as well?