knottyBuoyz III The TW28 Project

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: knottyBuoyz III The TW28 Project

Post by fallguy1000 »

It looks good, but probably the two spades will not meet the 6 pound pull test.

I found the ticonn space terminals unable to pair the dimple. Spent hours looking for alternatives and finally found some custom spades sold by ...the big switch maker whose name momentarily eludes
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Knottybuoyz
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Knottybuoyz »

fallguy1000 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:42 pm It looks good, but probably the two spades will not meet the 6 pound pull test.

I found the ticonn space terminals unable to pair the dimple. Spent hours looking for alternatives and finally found some custom spades sold by ...the big switch maker whose name momentarily eludes
I did a test. All I had was a 5 lb ham the wife had ready for tonight's dinner. I hung it from one of the spade terminals. Turned my back for a brief second and the dog ate the ham. 8O :D
Yours Aye! Rick
"It's not the boat "you built" until you've sworn at it, bled on it, sweated over it, cried beside it and then threatened to haul the POS outside and burn it!"

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Oh, man. It almost feels like I owe you a 5 pound ham.

Basically, just pull on it between thumb and forefinger. A hard pull is over 6 pounds. A light pull is about 2. Or you can tape a line to a 6# weight to get a feel for it.

If it comes off easy; it is no good. Hard passes.

You'll know as a fussy builder whether to accept it or not. My surveyor pre warned me on a few of mine I did not like and asked about. He said they were not good enough.

If you think they'd fall away in hard 4' sea pounding; they ain't good enough.

Another thing I don't see which my surveyor demanded was wire labels. Everything is labeled on at least one end if each wire, but if they travelled farther, both ends. Now, on the helm console; this may be a bit much, but labelling was required by my surveyor and has helped me immensely already in my own work/rework.

I used a label maker. Rhino 5200. I probably spent about 150 for the machine and 125 on labels..fyi

They make a heat shrink label and a tape wrap. I used both cuz sometimes already had the ends on and the wrap didn't fit..

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Not sure what standard you follow in Canada, but ABYC E11.14.4 requires a label on each wire.

So, for other builders who will want insurance survey..

Here is the language.

WIRING IDENTIFICATION FOR DC SYSTEMS
Each electrical conductor that is part of the boat's electrical system shall have a means to identify its function in the system.
EXCEPTION: Pigtails less than seven inches (175mm) in length.

11.14.4.1.2 Insulated grounding conductors shall be identified by the color green or green with yellow stripe(s).

11.14.4.1.3 The color code shown in TABLE XIV identifies colors for DC conductors used for general wiring purposes on boats.
NOTE: The color code shown in Table XIV identifies one selection of colors for use as an engine and accessory wiring color code. Other means of identification may be used providing a wiring diagram of the system indicating the method of identification is provided with each boat.

11.14.4.1.4 Color-coding accomplished by colored sleeving or color application to wiring shall be applied at termination points.

11.14.4.1.4.1 Tape used to mark a wire, shall be at least 3/16 inch (5mm) in width, and shall have sufficient length to make at least two complete turns around the conductor to be marked. The tape shall be applied to be visible near each terminal.

E-11 7/08

11.14.4.2 FOR AC SYSTEMS
11.14.4.2.1 Conductors shall be identified to indicate circuit polarity as follows:
ungrounded conductor
black or brown
grounded neutral conductor
white, or light blue
grounding conductor
green, green w/yellow stripe
additional ungrounded conductors
red, orange, blue
additional colors for ungrounded conductors (black)
Black w/red stripe Black w/ blue stripe Black w/ orange stripe

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

fallguy1000 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:37 am Oh, man. It almost feels like I owe you a 5 pound ham.
I am not an expert in marine electrical, but my sense of humor indicates the use of a ham as a joke. Which I thought it was funny. Even though there is no reference the connector held up to the 5-pound ham and the dog removal of the ham. I would think the dog did not untie anything but just gave it a good solid jerk, maybe a 6 pound jerk?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Knottybuoyz
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Knottybuoyz »

No Ham's or doggies were harmed in the making of my last post! :-)

Just to put you all at ease I do have a copy of the ABYC standards and the Canadian Small Vessel Construction Standards. After nearly 40 years on the Canadian Coast Guard I was able to keep copies of both. Although I may not totally follow them to the letter I do try. My electrical system was designed about 15 yrs ago by a Marine Electrical Engineer I worked with. I needs updating because things like LIFEP04 batteries etc. weren't even a thing back then. Anyhow I digress.

I do label everything. This spring I overhauled the DC electrics in our RV. These pics are from that project.

As to the pull test. I do actually test each connection. The ham test was just a joke. Sorry. I do use quality connectors, all tinned shrink wrap style. Not Ancor but a brand I've used for years and trust.

I use a number of crimpers and do have the proper dies for the double crimp.

Cheers fella's
Yours Aye! Rick
"It's not the boat "you built" until you've sworn at it, bled on it, sweated over it, cried beside it and then threatened to haul the POS outside and burn it!"

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

Its easy to dislike someone who does electrical work as neatly as that! :lol:

cape man

Post by cape man »

I will never post a picture of my electrical work because of guys like you! Wow.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Knottybuoyz
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Knottybuoyz »

Todays little indoor task was to clean up some of the wiring on the Mimic Panel. There are 27 pieces of equipment with indicator lights on the panel. All numbered.

Before

After

Mimic Panel Wiring Codes

1 Search Light Bow
2 Windlass Energized
3 Windlass Operating
4 Bow Thruster Energized
5 Bow Thruster Operating
6 A/C Circulating Pump
7 Air Conditioner
8 Shower Sump
9 Bilge Pump Forward
10 Port Navigation Light
11 Search Light Cabin Top
12 Mast Head Running Light
13 Inverter
14 Starboard Navigation Light
15 Macerator
16 Anchor Light
17 Battery Charger
18 Fuel Transfer Pump Energized
19 Fuel Transfer Pump Running
20 Engineroom Blower
21 Fresh Water Circulatino Pump
22 Crash Pump Energized
23 Crash Pump Running
24 Diesel Cabin Heater
25 Hot Water Heater
26 Bilge Pump Aft
27 Stern Navigation Light
Yours Aye! Rick

Knottybuoyz
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Knottybuoyz »

Today's bonus episode. Working on organizing the wires for the mimic panel.

https://youtu.be/zQtwDDUL0K4
Yours Aye! Rick