Dave's FL12

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

dewers wrote:... if your finish is workboat, then I am in lots of trouble :help:

Pfffttt... don't let all the trim fool you (or maybe this shows the plan is working... 8)

The actual finish will probably be a 10 - 15 foot finish. It will be nice if it is better than that, but I guess the trim is working! :)

skiabq

Post by skiabq »

Finishes huh...My first one must be a 30 foot finish and the second one is about a 25 foot finish, so I guess I am improving :D

How's the boat coming Dave? Are there any new pics on your website that I missed? When and where do you plan on splashing her? If it's somewhere close, maybe I could take some pictures for you. We could have a Bateau sort of gathering out here in the desert 8O

Corey

gk108
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by gk108 »

ks8 wrote:When I taped outside I then had no worries that I'd accidentally flatten a *wet* filler corner as it was already cured and shaped permanently.
I'm pretty sure that's what happened on my D15. The bad part is that when you move the wet filler and make that flat spot the filler goes somewhere else and makes a little bump. I couldn't sand the bump out of the biax without weakening the seam, so ultimately I had to build up the quick fair to the level of the bump. It wasn't much but it could have been avoided.
CC, D15, V10

dewers
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by dewers »

skiabq wrote:Finishes huh...My first one must be a 30 foot finish and the second one is about a 25 foot finish, so I guess I am improving :D

How's the boat coming Dave? Are there any new pics on your website that I missed? When and where do you plan on splashing her? If it's somewhere close, maybe I could take some pictures for you. We could have a Bateau sort of gathering out here in the desert 8O

Corey
the last pic I put on there was about three days ago. Progress has slowed since the kids are out of school. The boat building is important but the kids grow up way too fast and I do not want to miss it. I plan on splashing her at cochiti which is not too far from you. If you co7uld shoot some pics and maybe some movies I would like that very much.

My brother asked me to build him a couple of the CC so they will be next on the list. I guess they will give me more practice on finishes and filletiing.

Do you plan on builing anything in the near future?

Dave

skiabq

Post by skiabq »

I know exactly what you mean about them growing up WAY too quickly. After I finished my 12' Hiawatha the 9 year old was asking about kid sized canoes. So now the 2 of us are working a Cheap Canoe that I scaled down to fit on 1.5 sheets of 5.2mm Lauan (I am not sure how to spell that) plywood. We already had a major setback as one of those windstorms that we had broke the 2 side panels, they were at a delicate stage of fiberglass splicing, so we had to start those over. I thought I could crank this out in 2 weekeds, and I probably could, but with a 9 year old helping it is taking a lot longer. It is a lot of fun to walk him thru the process, he gets to see it take shape right in before his eyes. we both hope he gets to paddle it soon.

Let me know as you get closer to splashing her and I will be there to take some pictures. I don't have a decent video camera, but if you do I will operate it for you.

dewers
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by dewers »

if you ever heading up this way, you are more than welcome and see the progress. Just let me know and I will get you where I am.

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

gk108 wrote:
ks8 wrote:When I taped outside I then had no worries that I'd accidentally flatten a *wet* filler corner as it was already cured and shaped permanently.
I'm pretty sure that's what happened on my D15. The bad part is that when you move the wet filler and make that flat spot the filler goes somewhere else and makes a little bump. I couldn't sand the bump out of the biax without weakening the seam, so ultimately I had to build up the quick fair to the level of the bump. It wasn't much but it could have been avoided.
Yes... exactly. Though I did sand through biax in a couple of small areas on the outside... but I also sheathed the hull entirely and so had, actually, in those places, at least two additional overlapping layers of 6 oz, and the biax was doubled on the inside (due to a confusion in the read of the notes as compared to the plans, now straightened out), so I did not panic so much when I went in or through the biax in a couple of small patches (approximately 1 inch by 2 inch was the largest). When doing an inside seam, you have gravity working with you somewhat, and the nature of the concave fillet. But you *can* shift stray filler on an outside corner back to where it belongs, with a squeegee technique. Inside corners are much easier to one still developing technique with the materials. And again, for a beginner (like myself) it is much easier (I think) to allow outside corners to cure first, then do a final shaping of them before taping, as this allows for a slower shaping rather than a stressed panic if filler begins hardening an ill shaped corner into permanence. As this was my first boat, the idea of the *much easier* method was appealing to say the least. My first hull fillets, on the inside, were not wet on wet. It wasn't until I began taping in frames that I began wet on wet... or maybe I began on the port chine? I don't recall exactly. But then I've been out in the sun all day and may soon see invisible pink elephants fly overhead. 8O

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by ks8 »

skiabq wrote:Finishes huh...My first one must be a 30 foot finish and the second one is about a 25 foot finish, so I guess I am improving :D
I'm probably being way optimistic with a 10 to 15 footer finish. We'll see... we'll all see. :| :lol:

Hey Dave.... by the time you get the CC's done, with all that practice, the kids will have canoes with showroom finishes. 8)

dewers
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by dewers »

well the requests are up to three now. my 10 yo now wants one. I may just start an assmebly line and keep building them until the end of time

Dave

dewers
Active Poster
Active Poster

Rounding over the sides

Post by dewers »

I am about to start taping the bottom and in the tutorial is says the round over the sides. Would it be wise to use a 1/2" round over bit in a router?

Thanks

dave