My D5 set sail!

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Rick
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Rick »

Lake Washington, just north of the Evergreen bridge, right? Sort of in the UW bay? That's a little boat for a big lake -- complete with heavy boat traffic.

Sure is a pretty little boat. Congratulations.

jeremy
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jeremy »

Yeah, you got it. I used to be a member of the Washington Yacht Club while in grad school at UW. The boat was fine in this bay, even with all the wakes from the big boats. The wakes would pretty much halt any momentum I had going, but I'd stay dry and the boat felt really stable under me.

jeremy
Active Poster
Active Poster

First Catch!

Post by jeremy »

Got my first catch in the boat yesterday. I managed to squeeze a couple of crab traps in there.

That's me, way out there:

Got a couple of these guys:

I actually caught 8 of them, but the other 6 were too small or female (you can only keep male Dungeness crabs).

There are a couple more pictures up on my website here.

jeremy
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jeremy »

Per Jacques' suggestion, I made some modifications to make the mast rotate more freely.

I enlarged the hole in the mast partner to 3". Then, I cut a 2" hole out of a 4"x1" delrin disc with a hole saw in the drill press. I routed the edges with a 1/4" roundover to make it a bit more visually appealing and then cut a thin slice of the delrin from the piece I cut out with the hole saw to go into the mast step. I shaped this slice into a small dome shape using a sanding disc on a dremel and then buffed it up. In this picture you can see the piece that will go in the mast step on the left, the piece that will go in the mast partner near the top and the enlarged hole drilled in the mast partner.

This is the underside of the piece that goes in the mast partner. I routed this down using an edge guide. It will be held in place with some 3M 4200 under the lip and on the side.

I finally got to test it out today and the mast rotated quite easily in very light winds. The wind got to be so light that I finally gave up sailing it and rowed back.