How to not waste epoxy....

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: How to not waste epoxy....

Post by fallguy1000 »

I know this is an old thread, but noone mentioned resin first. Resin first saves me some as well.

If I pour hardener first and run an extra ounce; then I need to double the resin.

If I run the resin heavy, I dump it into a catch. The resin doesn't dry up like the hardener, so when I pour resin, I can adjust an overpour easier than an overpour of hardener.

Then if I run 8oz resin (and adjust), I add 4 oz hardener.

Much easier than running 4 or 4.5 oz hardener and adding 9 oz resin.

The other thing is as a system, doing it the same seems good.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Guys, good thread for our newer builders!! I had not seen it prior to this morning!! Very good reading!! Jeff

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Really good tip Fallguy has put out there a few times is, after mixing pour into bigger containers to spread it out more. If you have 10 minute pot life then to get those 10 minutes it can't stay in a little mixing cup. Epoxy gets warm when it starts to cure. In a little cup it's own heat will cause it to turn even faster. This really helps when using fillers. Once you mix everything you pour it into something else you can see if it was mixed good or not. spreading it out on a large flat surface extends the pot life and you can make sure it is mixed well because it is very easy to keep mixing it as you use it. If you mix with one tool but spread with another, keep the mixing tool on the spreading tray so you can use it to scrap your spreading tool.

Keep cut pieces of cardboard in little stacks to clean off the spreader tray when done. You can get 8" trays (for neat epoxy) in the dollar stores 3 for a dollar. After use just let the epoxy cure that is left in it and it will pop right out by flexing it and compressed air, another tip from Fallguy.

At the beginning of the thread it mentioned using left over epoxy mix to fill holes and places that need just a little. If you are old like me and forget a lot of stuff put painter's tape on those spots. When you see you have extra just look for the tape and pull the tape off as you go.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

If you cover a scrap of cardboard with packing tape you can use it as a tray for thickened epoxy. Cheap and home made, that idea was featured in one of Boat Builder Central's videos.
Hank

topwater

Post by topwater »

I just use a cutting board, easy to clean.
Novi 23 finally launched !

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Dang that is a great idea Topwater. You been holding out on us :lol: