Vg20 finally underway

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
new to sail
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Vg20 finally underway

Post by new to sail »

Finally back at it. I don't know where the time goes. Manage to get side tracked with other projects.
Got more hardware installed.

Bought mahogany lumber to finish the interior trim.

Very pleased how it turned out. Now I hope to finish so I can think about putting this in the water next year.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice work!! Jeff

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

Nice work. Very interesting to see how you built the skirt.

Looks like you are almost there - do you have much to do before you can get her in the water? Can't wait to see photos of the launch! Good luck.

Mick
FB11 (Designer Evan Gatehouse)
VG23 (Designer Jacques Mertens)

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Robert A. Heinlein.

new to sail
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by new to sail »

Thanks, Jeff and Mick

I have most if not all the construction done. Maybe a few cosmetic things I'd like to do. I have been buying small amounts of sailboat hardware as I go and have been looking for a trailer. The sails and rigging are next. I hope to launch this next summer if all goes well.

rick berrey
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rick berrey »

What size and number of winches are you going to need ?

new to sail
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by new to sail »

Hi Rick,

The plans calls for 2 No. 6 and that is what I have installed. Although after reading different forums maybe I should have gone one size bigger. I forget what it is called but they make some type of rubber attachment that make the winch self tailing, but doesn't fit the size 6.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I'm on a 24' helms and self-tailing is more of a headache with reduced winch counts. Simple jam cleats or an extra wrap and hand hold if you're in fickle wind seems to be all that is needed. Last time I was out we were running a 160 full out inf 15+kn using 5 wraps on the winch and 3 fingers to hold. It was harder to let it out than to hold it.

Don't get me wrong, I'll take self-tailing, but I'd need 2 more winches and I've no place to put them.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

rick berrey
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rick berrey »

I bought winches for the boat I was going to build , then I got a deal from someone who was going to build an iceboat on 6 #10 Andersen standard winches and handles . If anyone on the forum that has a near completed boat needs a couple in the future I will part with 2 or 3 for what I have in them + shipping , but only for a Boat Builder design that is near completion . Rick

new to sail
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by new to sail »

More progress, but slow. I searched for used trailers, but struck out and decided to order a new one. The trailer company was able to design one from their stock trailer to fit the sailboat from the information I gave them. Not knowing what I needed and being 450 miles apart, several phone calls and emails, after two plus months waiting it arrived. The two months gave me time to tape, fill, fair and prime the keel to the bottom of the hull.

I got a several new coats of bottom paint on getting ready for the trailer to arrive.

Now that I have the boat on a trailer, my next step is to order the standing rigging. Eventually I will get this in the water.

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

Glad to see you are progressing. Boat looks fantastic - a long job, but will be worth it when she is in the water.

One question. The hole drilled in the keel is for the centre-board pivot, I assume. Will you cover/fill that prior to launch or use some kind of small access port. My only real issue with the entire VG design is the lack of access to that bolt/rod when the boat is finished.

Do you have a clever way to be able to do that? I was going to install everything and then also drill in for access if needed, but would much prefer to be able to remove/replace the bolt whenever needed. I've wracked my brains to come up with a solution for my VG23 (and I'm sure Jacques also thought long and hard about it too).

Good luck getting the boat rigged and in the water - can't wait to see some photos of her afloat.

Cheers,

Mick
FB11 (Designer Evan Gatehouse)
VG23 (Designer Jacques Mertens)

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Robert A. Heinlein.