Vg20 finally underway

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
rick berrey
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Vg20 finally underway

Post by rick berrey »

I'm not getting the whole picture , are you trying to access the pin from inside the hull ?

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

That is indeed the case for the VG23. Pivot is accessed from inside the keel. Once it is installed, it can be partially withdrawn inside the keel to drop the centreboard, but can't be replaced. I'm going to fit a hatch/port at one side of the keel so I can withdraw the bolt entirely. I'll post photos once I'm at that stage. Not sure which design came first - the VG20 that Rick has built or the VG23. Or what modifications Jacques made as the boat designs evolved. I do know there were at least three keel designs for the VG20.
FB11 (Designer Evan Gatehouse)
VG23 (Designer Jacques Mertens)

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Robert A. Heinlein.

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

Hi,
When I built my boat AD14 I had the same problems understanding the idea of the centreboard keel installation in its case. Jaques Mertens gave me the assurance that I will never ever have to remove the sleeve. The advantage of the sleeve is that it is nearly touching the inside of the centreboard case and the pivot bolt carries the load of the centreboard keel. If you want to make sure that everything is strong enough go for the idea of a 3/4 inch bolt and accordingly a SS sleeve where the inner diameter is a bit bigger than 3/4 inch. Use if possible a SS threaded rod for the bolt and cut it to length once in the cabin installed because then You can cut it exactly next to the silicone attached washer and hand tightened nuts. Installation is easy if you guide a thin wire from the cabin port side centreboard hole down under boat thru the fitted sleeve of the centreboard keel and up to the centreboard case back to the cabin thru the starboard side hole. Handles attached to the wires in the cabin can help with the alignment. I tested this so a couple of times with the sleeve alone without the heavy centreboard keel. Like this I made sure the sleeve did not jam on the inside of the centreboard case. The final installation I did with the strong son pushing the centreboard keel with the attached sleeve up and me in the cabin guiding with handles on the 2 wire ends the board into the right position. Then I inserted a screwdriver thru case and board and removed the guiding wire. The next thing was to install the bolt by pulling back the screwdriver slowly so that the board was held up only from one side and pushing the bolt in from the other side. It is of advantage if the bolt is still long enough to lever with the hand like on the other side with the screwdriver. In your case with the heavy keel I would let someone lift it with a platform and a car jack while you do everything inside the cabin.
Forget the idea about ever removing the sleeve and not at all at sea. Consider the sleeve as part of the centreboard keel and only when the keel is damaged or has to be removed for whatever reason, then you will get near the sleeve again or can install a new one into a new keel. I can imagine to remove my centreboard keel for inspection after a few years and to paint it new. Good luck with the finishing of your boat.
Greetings from Karl
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

Hi Gonandkarl,

Very helpful - just looked at your excellent build blog and I understand now how you did it - smart.

Many thanks!

Mick (I'll stop hijacking Rick's blog now!)

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Robert A. Heinlein.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

mhd wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:38 am Hi Gonandkarl,

Very helpful - just looked at your excellent build blog and I understand now how you did it - smart.

Many thanks!

Mick (I'll stop hijacking Rick's blog now!)
Sorry, it doesn't work that way. The builders share their methods and tips anyway they can and even us non-sailors follow these build posts to increase our knowledge of all things boat building and just being boaters one day. I don't think, anyone thinks it is hijacking when you share! Please don't stop.

Besides, I was the one that asked for more details and info on this part of a sailboat. And would like to take the time to say thanks for all this new knowledge. THANK YOU for learning me. :)
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

Cheers mate, much appreciated. I'm always surprised that anyone reads what I've posted. Until a couple of years ago I knew very little about boats myself apart from some dinghy sailing in my youth - I know more now - a lot of it also from reading this forum and from people posting what they've been up to - but still a long way to go. I'm enjoying learning myself about all kinds of boats (starting from a very low baseline).

Back to work now - glassing. Will post an update on the VG23 when I get chance.

Mick