Vg20 finally underway

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Biney777
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Vg20 finally underway

Post by Biney777 »

Bogieman wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 2:25 pm Wow! That is looking great. There's a lot of really nice work going on there and that stuff isn't supposed to be done fast :D Don't mind admitting I'm still jealous.

Bogie
Ditto!

It just blows my mind how much the magnitude of the project increases exponentially for every additional foot of length.

I admire your persistance. I have been frustrated by just a month of delay.

Build on!
Completed Danny Greene "Chameleon" a 10 1/2' nesting/rowing/sailing dinghy. Building an Alexa's Rocket 15 w/ optional retractable spinnaker pole.

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

Biney777 wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 2:09 am
Bogieman wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 2:25 pm Wow! That is looking great. There's a lot of really nice work going on there and that stuff isn't supposed to be done fast :D Don't mind admitting I'm still jealous.

Bogie
Ditto!

It just blows my mind how much the magnitude of the project increases exponentially for every additional foot of length.

Build on!
Yes! Well put Chris.

new to sail
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by new to sail »

Thanks Bogie and Biney, I appreciate your positive acknowledgements. I really enjoy reading and seeing your builds as they progress as well, which always gives me more encouragement even when the tasks seem overwhelming. :D

Rick

Netpackrat
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Netpackrat »

Biney777 wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 2:09 am Ditto!

Build on!
The difference becomes even more striking when you recall that the VG20 is really an 18' boat with a skirt at the stern, and it can be built as an 18' boat by deleting that. So it's only an additional 2 feet over the AD16 when you look at it that way. The real difference is at that point you are getting into the size where it is possible to have a true cruiser with galley, storage compartments, etc, and that's where the complexity comes in.

Biney777
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Biney777 »

Sooooo, what you are saying is size really really does matter! :wink: :D
Completed Danny Greene "Chameleon" a 10 1/2' nesting/rowing/sailing dinghy. Building an Alexa's Rocket 15 w/ optional retractable spinnaker pole.

Netpackrat
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Netpackrat »

It depends on the skirt.

Biney777
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Biney777 »

:lol:

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

I’m guessing you are probably doing a lot of beautiful work behind the scenes ... any updates ? Your build is my favorite thread on the forum so I get thirsty when I don’t see anything new from you

new to sail
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by new to sail »

For now I quit spending so much time on the interior and decided to work and finish the outside before the weather turns bad. The day time temps have been in the 70's so this three day weekend I was able to get two coats of paint on before I had to stop. I plan on a good sanding before the next coat.

The only thing I'm not sure of is a couple of places where my orbital sander gauged the primed area leaving a couple of half moon dents. I think I can sand the paint back down to primer and quick fair those places and re-prime and re-paint. I plan to do this before the third coat goes on.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice progress!!! Jeff