PH18 started

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Deedaddy
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Deedaddy »

Cut out the glass for the hull.
Coated hull with epoxy at 6:30 pm. Let it set for 3 hours.
Started glassing at 9:30 pm and finished peelply at 12:30 am.

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

nice progress. It shows how clean the laminations look when you do it all at once. 3 hours isn’t so bad, when you consider all the mixing.

Plastic will sure make the fairing easier.

Let me guess, you have a 200 hp outboard for this one :D

Deedaddy
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Deedaddy »

I am not sure what size engine they want but I think it is a 70 to 90 hp 4-strock. 200hp would be fun... :lol: ...I will watch from shore...LOL
So far they have about 34 man-woman hours it. Started last friday. The only thing I have done it draw out the parts on the plywood. The peelply is linen. Fairing will be quick, Kathy is use to doing fairing on large hulls up to 65'.
Thanks Joel for the quick shipping of the glass.

ChuckS
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ChuckS »

You said that the peelply you used is linen.....does it release easily? Is there a pattern or weave imprinted on the glassed surface after removal of the linen? Was it a special type of linen used? Thanks for the info......
Don't start vast projects with half vast plans

Deedaddy
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Deedaddy »

I was wrong it is nylon release peel ply fabric. The fabric leaves a fine surface impression for priming and secondary bonding. It also helps remove excess epoxy.
Saves alot of sanding.

mud390
New Poster
New Poster

Post by mud390 »

Do you have any pictures of this peelply? What about a purchasing source? Boat looks great and I'm intently watching this thread!

Kris

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

Reel peel ply is expensive, try to find the nylon cloth at craft store. maybe $3 to $4 a yard, and it can be used several times.

Deedaddy
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Deedaddy »

shine wrote:Reel peel ply is expensive, try to find the nylon cloth at craft store. maybe $3 to $4 a yard, and it can be used several times.
The reason I could afford the real thing is my sons company buys it in factory rolls (275 yds)@$3/yd. Retail is 6.50/yd
It took about 12 yds which would be $78.

Doug
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Doug »

I could not imagine fairing a 65' boat 8O Makes me tired even thinking about it.

Fillets, Tabs and cleats on all the stringers and bulkheads is also fun on a PH I must say. I would highly recommend glassing in the stringers and bulkheads before fairing to eliminate any hull movement and potential for introducing hooks and dips after it's faired. It takes some extra flips but that's easier than fairing again over a nicely painted hull.

Deedaddy
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Deedaddy »

That may be a good way. I did not do it on my cx25 and did not have any problem. Just made sure the hull was well supported and that the structure fit without binding. There are many ways to approach any part of the building process. It is what work best for you in most cases.