FS12 Build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

Cracker Larry wrote:Will you leave those spacer nails in there?
Hi Larry,

They come out after we put some fillet mix in the joint. Thats what we call "tack welding". The we cut the stitches and remove the spacers (nails), then fill in the rest of the joint.

dborecky
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by dborecky »

Shine,

You gave me a kick in the rear with your progress. I have now made the strong back and attached the frames to the 2X4 posts to be attached to the strong back.

I have a few questions for you. How do I know what hight the transom should be? Are the bulkheads supposed to lay on top of the strong back with slight adjustments made for level? Are the transom and the three middle bulkheads level with eachother? And last but not least how do I know what hight to place the bow frame. It looks slightly lower then the other frames from the picture...... I was going to try and get as far as you have this weekend with the panels stiched and all......

Derrick

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

On the FS12: the top (seat level) of the seat frames sit right on the 2x4 (strongback). The plans show this same line on the transom and on the bow frame. You simply draw this line on the bow frame and transom, then secure with drywall screws.

dborecky
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by dborecky »

shine wrote:On the FS12: the top (seat level) of the seat frames sit right on the 2x4 (strongback). The plans show this same line on the transom and on the bow frame. You simply draw this line on the bow frame and transom, then secure with drywall screws.
Joel,

Thanks. That I can do that. I do have the claming board on the transom but I can drill into that.

Is the hull perfectly level all the way to the front end of the seat frame? I think that is what I see from your pics.

Thanks. I'll take pics this weekend and post as well.

Derrick

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

More pictures at the gallery. The outside is all glassed took 2 of us 2 hours, all wet on wet. Will desribe process in detail on monday...

http://gallery.bateau2.com/thumbnails.php?album=561

Jpatburke
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jpatburke »

How bout a FS14? Will you make a kit for that model?

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

Yes, but we must first finish the FS12. The FS14 may not fit within UPS or DHL limits, so it would be more expensive to ship (By LTL carrier).

Joel

dborecky
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by dborecky »

shine wrote:Yes, but we must first finish the FS12. The FS14 may not fit within UPS or DHL limits, so it would be more expensive to ship (By LTL carrier).

Joel
Joel,

Now you decided to make a kit after all the cutting and fitting I have been doing... :lol:

I tried to catch up to you but no way could I keep up. You need to slow down. :wink:

I find I need an extra person to do certain things. I'm now stuck with stiching the side panels. I need someone to hold up the side panels so I can line up the drill holes to make them in the side panels.

I have an idea :idea: Why don't you send over your helper for a few days... :D

Derrick

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

It could be a LONG time before a FS14 kit is ready :D

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

Working wet on wet, we were able to do all the outside fiberglass in one shot. It makes for a much cleaner and stronger lamination, uses less epoxy, uses less brushes, and takes less time.

On Friday we:

Cut off stitches and removed nails (spacers)
Used a plane (sanding block could also have been used) to round of the “tack weldsâ€