FS14 build saga continues......

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

It actually looks pretty good. Doing all the laminations in one day saved you a lot of grinding work and makes for a better laminate.

The extra layer of tape around the transom is going to make the fairing more difficult. To get an idea of how much you need to fair. take a long straight edge (a 4' level works well) rest it on the keel with one end on the transom. You can now see that there is a hook that needs to be faired. the last 4 feet ors o of that boat need to be a straight run (or close to straight as reasonably possible)

Same thing applies for the overlaps of Biax cloth around the bow – there is a lot of build up there.

You can beef up laminations on the inside without making for a bigger fairing project. Build ups of glass on the inside are easy to deal with. If the build up of the overlaps is in a hidden area like the inside of the transom then there is no real added faring work

Those small air pockets are no problem sand/grind then out and fill then with thickened epoxy

I recommend making/buying a long faring board.

dborecky
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by dborecky »

Joel,

Thanks for the reply.

The spot on the side that is not laminated I was going to grind off and cover the whole edge of the overlap with a strip of glass but if you think I can just fill it with thickend epoxy that will be what I will do.

I already purchased the fairing board and 60 grit sandpaper from you all.

Do you think that the laying of the glass on different sides will effect anything? I can feel the longitudinal threads more on one side of the hull.

Can I lightly sand the bottom prior to fairing to get off the rough edges without hurting the glass?

Derrick

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

You should sand it lightly with the 60 grit board, or use an orbital sander. Your just "knocking down" the rough stitching, not really sanding any glass off. Then start to fair.

I would sand down some of those big overlaps, not a lot, but to help save fairing

MadRus
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by MadRus »

I think that looks like pretty nice work to me. When you say delamination, are you sure you're talking about delamination or just a cloudy finish? Is the fiberglass actually lifting away from the plywood or previous layers of glass? Or are you just talking about the way it gets sort of milky looking? In my experience, that's something that happens from overworking the glass and resin sometimes, but it doesn't mean it will delaminate.

I think it looks pretty darn good.

dborecky
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by dborecky »

I think that looks like pretty nice work to me. When you say delamination, are you sure you're talking about delamination or just a cloudy finish? Is the fiberglass actually lifting away from the plywood or previous layers of glass? Or are you just talking about the way it gets sort of milky looking? In my experience, that's something that happens from overworking the glass and resin sometimes, but it doesn't mean it will delaminate.

I think it looks pretty darn good.
Thanks for the comments. I have one spot that is delaminated on the right side. It is about 3 inches in diameter. It is near the rub rail edge and I must have missed it when working in the resin. You can see it in the pictures as a small circle. I may grind it down and patch or just fill it with resin. I have not decided which would be the best way to deal with it.

Joel,

Thanks for your input. I can use either the orbital or the fairing board but am a little scared of the orbital as I can get carried away with that thing and do real deep damage.....

Derrick

dborecky
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by dborecky »

I did some work on the boat. I was able to add two layers of rub rail to one side. I could have done more but had to wait overnight for the expoxy to dry before adding the second one. I need to remove the clamps tonight. I may have time to add the third layer tonight and be done with one side.

I will put some pics up soon of all the clamps used to just put on one rub rail layer.... Home Depot loves me!!!

Derrick

Daddy
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Daddy »

Derrick, in case you need some more you can make lots of "clamps" for little or nothing by using split rings of pvc pipe. There are pictures somewhere in the gallery of glueing on rubrails using these clamps.
Daddy

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

It was only a matter of time until someone glued their hand to a hull...

dborecky
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by dborecky »

Daddy wrote:Derrick, in case you need some more you can make lots of "clamps" for little or nothing by using split rings of pvc pipe. There are pictures somewhere in the gallery of glueing on rubrails using these clamps.
Daddy
Thanks for the suggestion. I have about 60+ of the less then 1 dollar clamps and unless I build a much bigger boat will not be needing more for the time being.....

I do have the plans for the PH18 but decided to build this one for now. I'm enjoying watching your build. I am going to be fairing soon and you make it look way to simple.

Derrick

familyman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by familyman »

Derrick: Did you still want to try to get together. I am almost done fairing and I might be able to at least show you what not to do and possibly save you a little trouble. 813-448-9223. I am in oldsmar.
Bryan