Another side of boat building

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Dimitris
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Another side of boat building

Post by Dimitris »

Hello everybody.

I have been following this forum for quite a long time, but did not start a builder's thread, mainly because I do not build a "Bateau". However, I do build a boat and I do like this community so here I am to share my experience with you.

The other side of boatbuilding where I am is plywood on frames boatbuilding. I build the TINA 9, a Hartley dinghy - training sailboat. I started last March, I have put some effort on and you can see how far it has gone in my gallery.

I will try to keep this thread posted as I progress through the build.

You can visit my gallery at http://gallery.bateau2.comindex.php?cat=15358

Regards to all of you from Greece.
Dimitris
Last edited by Dimitris on Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Saw it.
It is interesting to see the differences between plywood on frame and stitch and glue.
Could you please make a note at the beginning of your gallery to expalin that it is not one of our designs? I don't want potential builders to be scared away.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Dimitris
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Dimitris »

Done it. You are right, it looks scary.

D.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Not scary in this case because you do it right. You are doing a good job but I don't want builders to be confused.
Thank you.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

kiwi
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by kiwi »

And of course we talk about non bateau.com plans and builds over at amateurboatbuilding.com every day 8)

Tony
Editor in chief
amateurboatbuilding.com

Dimitris
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Bottom ready for glueing. Sanding.

Post by Dimitris »

It has been a while since my last post. During this time I finished with the bevelling of the port side, so now both sides are ready. I also fitted the pannels on the boat, and I enjoyed, after months of work, the first full view of her, which I share with you :D

Another look from the bow with I wide-angle lens. She looks gorgeous.

Unlike stitch-and-glue boatbuilding, it takes a long time to get there with conventional methods with frames.

After dry-fitting everything, I removed the pannels and started to think of the preparatory work I had to do before glueing. At first it occured to me that such a beauty deserved a better paint than the conventional alkyd paint that I have used inside the ceterboard case. So I started to remove it. I used paint remover, which I applied with a toothbrush. Then I scrapped it with a blade that I mounted at the end of a glue and sanded the remains with self-made sanding devices. You can see the result here. It took me two afternoons to remove it. There are still some traces of paint. They will be removed after I flip her.

These are my improvised tools. Under the tools, you can see the bottom pannels with the chines marked on them. Holes will be opened on the panels for screwing before glue is applied on them over the chine marks.

Then, I thought that everything under the benches sould be ready for painting before the pannels are glued. It is much easier to access these areas now. Hopefully, these areas will be invisible, but I want them to be fair to the hands. Of couse, all of you know what it takes to prepare for painting. It is ....

Sanding!!!

Getting there, I realised that boat building is like software development. If you want quick results at the begining, you are going to pay for it at the end. At the early stages I did not take care at all about epoxy sreading around and falling everywhere. Now, I have to remove all these spills. I started to sand by hand, and this is a picture of the mess that I am into.

I find it especially difficult to sand the corners. After a long time sanding they are still glossy. Any idea how to deal with it?

I wish you all a Merry Christmass and a Happy New Year, good health to all of you and you families and may you all splash your boats soon.

Regards
[/b]

baba101
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by baba101 »

Large surface : Random Orbit sander, smaller corners etc you need a mouse sander....and for really tight corners try using these attachments with your standard drill (pictures attached)........and if you really wanna go crazy...buy a rotary tool (not really needed) with all the fine sanding attachments....

Good Luck and happy holidays...

But if you want to go Retro...use these attachments for tight spots and a long board sander for the flats...good luck

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

Ahh... the 'ol 407... 8)

It's looking mighty fine D. Thanks for the update. :)

Dimitris
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Dimitris »

I made a Christmass present to myself and bought a Dremel look-alike for 20 euros. It came with an assortment of tools, including a 407. I was amazed how much material can be removed with such a low power tool. I guess it's because it spins at 35000 rpm. I think it worths its money. If it ever breaks down I may buy a real Dremel.

For the time I am just sanding all areas that will be inaccessible after I install the bottom panels. To keep my moral high, I painted an aquarella of her while playing with my daughter. Please, enjoy :)

Regards

MadRus
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by MadRus »

Dimitris,

Nice. From dream to reality and back to dream. It's nice to see that you have fun with the kids too.
The look-alike is probably still made by Dremel- you know how that goes.