Another side of boat building

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
eshell
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by eshell »

Dimitris,
could you email me offline?
eshellswell@hotmail.com

Thanks,

Ernie
FL14

Dimitris
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Dimitris »

Another major milestone reached. All hardware has been fitted and she is ready for a splash.

I plan to use her this summer, mark the waterline and paint during the winter time.

Any ideas on how to carry her? Do you think cartopping is feasible? Tonight I will weigh her but I estimate she is about 60 kilos (130 pounds).

Regards

gk108
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by gk108 »

Beautiful boat! :D
CC, D15, V10

topwater

Post by topwater »

Very very nice...!!!!
Get a small trailer you dont want to scracth that boat :!:

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Wow :!: 8)

No way would I car top that masterpiece :help:
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

robbiro
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by robbiro »

She is a beauty Dimitris :D I agree with the others, put her on a trailer, don't try to cartop her. You do superb work,

Keep on Buildin,

Robbie
32.20.0983N
89.48.0787W
GF-16 FIRST LIGHT finished; D-5 Crusader '08 finished, PY 12 plans in hand

Dimitris
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Dimitris »

Thank you for your compliments. The truth is that the paintwork is not that great if seen from a close distance.

I decided to use the trailer of my inflatable boat to carry her to our summer house where she will spend most of her life. I will also build a small trolley (the optimist style) to move her around and launch her. But I have to repair the steering system of the inflatable first :roll Unfortunatelly, I do not have room to store another trailer.

Regards

MadRus
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by MadRus »

Wow! I really like this little boat, she's a beauty! Congratulations Dimitris. Let's see her on the water soon.

Dimitris
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Dimitris »

~~~ S P L A S H ~~~

Yes, it's true, I splashed her and I love it. Here's the story.

There she is loaded on the modified trailer of my RIB. No cartopping, it sounds like a joke. She weights around 80 kilos, heavier than I expected. I towed her to Galaxidi for launch. We have a summer house there and I would spend one week there for vacations. Notice that I wrapped all the rollers of the trailer with foam cut out of a carry-mat, to make the softer for my baby.

Getting to the sea Involved driving high on the mountains. Here I stopped to tight the ropes and straps that tied her on the trailer. The kept on becoming loose. The foam pads around the rollers have already started to fly away. Only the front ones survived the journey.

The boat was named after my muse, my doughter Alexandra. She wrote her name herself and then insisted on decorating her with fish and a bear. Here she poses proudly before her work.

The boat was presented to her as a gift a few days later for her name day (St' Alexander's day, 30-Aug). Have I menthioned that I also have a son :wink:

Finally, 2 years and 5 months after the first sawcut, she is splashed. This is her first photo in the water.

The joy of me and my doughter was incredible.

Resting at her home port, tied next to my RIB.

Going a beer at the the other side of the port. These aluminum oars are a disgrace to her and totally inadequate for the job. First thing to follow is a nice pair of long oars.

My son is enjoying a ride. Here I sit on the front bench and she got so badly trimmed that the skeg got out of the water. It was realy difficult to keep direction with the skeg out of the water.

From a short excursion for a swim. The kids loved it.

Pulled out for recovery and towing back to Athens. After one week in the water there was not a single crack or scratch on the paint. There is only a nice waterline mark of dirt around her so no guessing is required when I paint her.

The next projects will be a pair of oars, then the sailing gear (mast, boom, centreboard, rudder, stays, ooops that's some work :). I will paint her during the winter. I think low temperatures will make the task easier.

Regards

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Fantastic report Dimitris 8) Your boat and your family are beautiful, as is your location. Very nice job :!:

My wife is from Greece BTW, her name is Theodora and she has a brother named Dimitris.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose