PastorBob's GF-16 ***Rebuild***

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Russ5924
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Russ5924 »

Trying to figure out what my next build will be pretty sure will be the GF14 or the GF16 when the 16 footer doesn't use anymore plywood then the 14 foot :?: . What I want to know is just how deep is the boat. Not shown on the website but would like to know before I order the plans. I think they are the same boat just longer??? Well look at it this way 75 here today but when you are enjoying a nice summer we will all be hiding in our A/C from 95 degrees and 90 percent humidity 8O

Joe H
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Joe H »

Thanks PastorBob and Cracker Larry,
between my new Grandson, Ice Fishing, building the boat and working it's been a busy winter, cant wait to get out on the water and do some fishing/relaxing.

Bateau.com and all the other builders have made the boatbuilding easier than I first thought.

I got my marine ply at LL Johnson Lumber Co in Charlotte Mich excellent prices and they ship to Detroit area for about $60.00. I get all my epoxy ( west System) at Midwest Marine in St.Clair Shores, everything else at BoatBuildersCentral.

I'll take you up on glassing the bottom, not sure how I'm going to do it yet.

Joe

I have more questions about the build but won't take up anymore of your tread, see ya in Power Boats.

timoub007
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by timoub007 »

My sides are about 20 inches deep just in front of the mid-seat. The actual side panel length is about 21 inches but it has some angle to it.

Tim

PastorBob
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by PastorBob »

don't let the depth of the sides scare you off these boats have a huge capacity and are very stable Larry describes its capability as two people being able to relieve themselves over the same side at the same time with plenty of free board left!
... you thought epoxy was strong!
Romans 8:38-39

Russ5924
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Russ5924 »

Got the D5 just about done all the painting is done and all I have is to install the little bit of hardware. Looking forward to a bigger project just about sure will be the GF-16. Have to say have learned lots from that little boat, should be fun taking my grandson fishing in some of the smaller lakes. Get the GF-16 built and get rid of that gas guzzler I have now????

PastorBob
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by PastorBob »

1/2" panels are cut.... gave up on trying to use circular saw and went with cruddy jigsaw with good blade worked very well...

Joined transom to clamping boards permanently! I have extra tape and resin so I thought I would put some in there! overkill I am sure but harmless I figure.

Soli Deo gloria!!

Dimitris
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Dimitris »

I use metal blades with the jig saw to avoid splintering and it works great. They are the Bosch Progressor blades.

How do you manage to control the kids in the workshop? I like to have my 4 years old Alexandra with me but I find it difficult. There are very few tasks she can get involved in at her age. I usually let her play with water-colors but after a short time she gets bored and wants to swim in the sawdust or cut the boat with the saws 8O

Enjoy your build

PastorBob
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by PastorBob »

my 2 year old is only around when there is drawing or hammering taking place other than that she will come and check on us every few minuets and the off to do her own thing!

The 4 year old has some more important tasks in the project! one of her main responsibility is the collection of good sawdust for making filler she takes this job very serious and make sure that there are no particles to large or foreign going in to the sawdust bucket :lol: I explained to her that epoxy is dangerous and she can not get near it as I clamped last night she policed the area informing me of drips of the "dangerous poxy"! I include her as much as possible with simple counting and math she is actually a great help with reminding me how much resin I just pumped 8O

Dimitris
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Dimitris »

I will try the sawdust collection task, although I think that after a few minutes she will start to play with it. Right now there is a mess in the workshop.

I admit that I failed to persuade her that epoxy or power tools are dangerous. She cannot stay disciplined, I think because she sees me continuously use them and enjoying it. She can understand that I build the boat for pleasure. On the other hand, I managed to persuade her not to untie the seat belt in the car, where me and her mother always use it.

PastorBob
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by PastorBob »

Transom lamination is compleated I am really impressed with the strength now I am thinking of what I can hang off the back ???

Tonight I Joined the sides and sat lights over them to warm the epoxy.

http://gallery.bateau2.com/displayimage.php?pos=-11555