PastorBob's GF-16 ***Rebuild***

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
gunner
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by gunner »

BoB: I printed the picture for my wife and second youngest daughter. My grandson is one-wants to follow me everywhere. The playpen position is perfect. I provide a lot of daycare in support of their young family. I now know it can be done. The move is coming, stay in the loop please. You have friends here that will assist you.

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

Come on down, the fish are biting, the shrimp will be running soon. I'll show you how :D
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

PastorBob
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by PastorBob »

I have had 2 marathon nights of building! the last 2 nights I have worked on the boat from 10p-2:30am Filleting and laying glass in the seams! Today I will finish the forward compartment and the boat will be officially able to travel :wink: !

I found a good trailer on Craigslist for 250 and spent 3 hours fetching it yesterday, it will need minimal work and looks like it could hold a 3000 lbs 16 ft boat!

I also figured out my fillet problems... I was using collected sawdust from a cabinet shop, I bought some maple flour (nice chocolate color) and the processed flour makes all the difference in the world!! I WILL NEVER USE SAWDUST AGAIN!!! I am mixing 3 or 4 to 1 with Silica and creating perfect "buttery smooth" fillets (thanks for the tip about wetting out rough spots with epoxy Eric)

I will post some pics today My plan is to finish the last bit and fit boat to trailer. Bob...
... you thought epoxy was strong!
Romans 8:38-39

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

Great! So you've got strong chines now. Remember to somehow support the sheer also. The rub rails and frames stiffen that up, once laminated on. Until then there is much flex at the sheer.... at 70mph... 8O :? :roll: Even temporary battens tabbed in will help much for the trip... :)

Good to hear from you again.

Spokaloo

Post by Spokaloo »

Its amazing what that thin little tiny coat of epoxy will do to improve the smoothness...

Glad you got a system that works!

E

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW »

I see you posted again today. Hope the move went well and the family is fine. Catch us up when you get a chance. If you need some help I'm only 2 1/2 hours away in Bryson City, if you ended up in Clinton.

Tom
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

PastorBob
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by PastorBob »

We are now in Clinton, SC...
Move went as well as could be anticipated when traveling with 3 vehicles a 26 ft cargo trailer half finished boat, 4 adults and 3 children and a dog!

Boat made the trip wonderfully we had to use it for storage and put probably 200 pounds of junk in it while moving.... No cracks or signs of any problems!

I had to get tires on the trailer after leaving because i was scared of the dry rot. Boat pulled great!

I have added some pics to the gallery.....

All inside seams have been taped... I do mean all... I overdid it because of the trip but no problems!!!

I also added a half deck to serve as a place to the kids to sit while boat is at rest and also a live-well!

BOAT ON TRAILER READY FOR THE ROAD!

Half deck added (made from scraps)

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW »

Great looking trailer for 250. Your boat looks like you could throw some paint on it, put the motor on it and take it out. I know, I know you have a thousand things you have to do yet but it sure looks good.

Tom
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

Dimitris
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Dimitris »

You have the only trailer with spoked rims that I've seen in my life.

Good news that your move went well. Time to start building again now.

PastorBob
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by PastorBob »

There hubcaps!! but they are good looking ones :D. Tom I am far from the water I still have to glass the outside :( But I am getting closer! My 3 night marathon of 10p to 2 - 3 am showed me how fast this boat could come together with a few large chunks of time allotted! Right now I am busy unpacking but I hope to get a lot more work done before finding a new job...