PastorBob's GF-16 ***Rebuild***

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
msujmccorm
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by msujmccorm »

Glad all went well and welcome to the humid south!!
Jeff
fl14 done, can't decide what's next!

PastorBob
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by PastorBob »

I spent the last few days shaping the outside of the hull.... I was shocked at how good the boat looks after rounding edges.... I kind of had in my mind that the boat would be very square like a metal jon boat.... BUT with some shaping with the belt sanders and the RO (i got a near new dewalt 5" VS with 100 porter cable disks $40 ebay) this will look like a molded boat (if I can nail the finish)!!! Filled remaining holes and cut glass however I will have to wait to lay the glass because I need more Resin!
... you thought epoxy was strong!
Romans 8:38-39

PastorBob
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by PastorBob »

Well I am officially out of my first 3 gallons of epoxy!! Had my first pot go off in the cup! Epoxy works differently in SC than in MI!!! I need to make smaller batches and order a medium hardener!!

Here is a pic of my assistant hard at work!

Believe it or not she has been helping during every step of the building! She brings her little chair and talks to me as I build, and we work on counting and other things... every evening she wants to do "boat building". It has been a great way to spend time together!!!!

ejohns
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by ejohns »

Pastor Bob

Summer is quickly approaching, you may want to make that SLOW hardner.

Ernie

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW »

Pastor Bob slow hardener is probably best now. 80's and 90's will be normal temps from now till October.

You have a lovely little lady to be so willing to help her Dad. I remember when I first started helping mine and how proud I felt, especially when we delivered the first cabinet I helped on. I hope she will enjoy being on the water with you as well.

Tom
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

PastorBob
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by PastorBob »

Slow it is~~~ It is really different here than Michigan where it would take 3 days for glue to dry! Here it dries in the pot! also in MI it would reach the High temp about 2 pm and start cooling off at 4 pm. We don't go out side here from 11 am till 6 pm... and its not even hot yet! 8O we are really enjoying the new place though!!!

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

What they said. Slow hardener. Or it will set before it's stirred.

You're right Pastor Bob, I hate to tell you this, but it's not hot yet. Not as hot as normal either. This is about the coolest and driest spring I can remember. It isn't humid like normal either. 90's are a normal daytime high from now until almost November. 80s for a low.

If you aren't going out at mid-day now, you should be. Just to acclimate yourself to the night time temperatures we'll be having next month :wink:

I've got a friend that lives in northern Minnesota who came down and visited with me a few years ago. We spent the entire month of May and June that year fishing, started in Savannah, fished down the coast to Miami, crossed to Bimini and fished the Bahamas for a couple weeks, then fished the stream back up to Savannah.

His exact words before he left were colorful:

"I have never been so @#$ %$&& hot, for so *&%# ^&% long in my whole *$^^ $#@ life. And how do you stand all these $%#@ %^& %$#^$ BUGS :?:
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW »

Larry is absolutly right you really should be getting outside now while it is still cool. This mid-upper 80's and no humidity is nothing yet. The doctors say 8 glasses of water a day, do it 1 an hour is a good goal if you are working outside.

Larry you forgot to tell him about the Palmetto bugs. :lol:

Tom
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

msujmccorm
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by msujmccorm »

Another 3-4 weeks you'll be sweating just going out for the morning paper. 8O
Jeff
fl14 done, can't decide what's next!

PastorBob
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by PastorBob »

Yea the bugs are worse than the heat!! kids already learned about fire ants, and i have been worned that the roaches fly here!!!