Cracker Larry's OD 18

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

Cool. Here is Capt. Sam making sure I measure correctly. We caught some crappie this morning from the GF16.

Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW »

Love Cap't Sam is he the better fisherman? :D

Glad it worked.

Tom
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

Yoda
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Yoda »

Sam is beautiful. We had a golden for 16 years.

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Double so. Sam's lookin' good. Fine partner for a project I'm sure.

Appreciatin' old Cap'n Sam Dougster

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Sam says thank you. His mate Delilah here isn't much for boat work, or any other kind of work, but Sam is my buddy, my shadow, my pal. I only wish I was as good as he thinks I am :lol:

"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Well, accomplished my goal for the weekend. Stringers are finished. Just need to fill screw holes and a final coat of resin....

And the bottom panels are layed out.....

and mostly marked......bottom is ready to be cut.

But it's hot and we drank too many beers to play with power saws any more today. :wink:

So far so good. Nice plans, Jacques :D

gunner
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by gunner »

Larry, did you use the frame for level? Is it going to become a wheeled dolly or are you planning to build on it?

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Yes, the frame is multi-purpose. First off I hate dragging that nice plywood on my nasty, lumpy concrete. The concrete also slopes in 2 directions so I've can shim the frames to level. I've got 4 sections, each the size of a sheet of plywood and 1 section 4X4. This allows me to stack them end to end or side by side, whatever I need to do the layout. This boat requires you to lay 5 full sheets out side by side, to lay out the bottom and sole. So with my framing I can place each panel perfectly aligned with the others and screw them into place. Then draw it all out. I can cut everything right on the frame without having to remove the screws.

Once the bottom pieces are cut, then I will lay out 2 1/2 frames end to end to get the side panels marked and cut, while at the same time using the other 2 frames, covered in plastic, to splice the bottom panels.

Then, when all the long panels are cut and spliced, I'll stack 1 section 4X16 framework on top of another (whichever has the least saw cuts), then raise it on blocks, shim to level and use as a building platform. The rest of the framing 2X4s will be re-used for bracing, frame supports and that sort of thing.

No wheels. Got no where to roll it to until it's finished :D

gunner
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by gunner »

Thank you for the response. I have an uneven garage floor ) my shop, which slopes to the front and in from the sides. Your solution is ideal for my situation. We are starting an FS 14 for Grand River fishing as I can eventually just let my son and the fosteer kids have it to use when I build myself something better. The explation is so complete! I will buld mine so I can use the sections for later in the summer when I set something up for Great Lakes Salmon. I'll watch your build-I grew up with dories and I keep coming back to the OD series. Many thanks.

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

My pleasure :D I've got a lot of help from this group, and I try to give some back when I can. What goes around comes around.