Cracker Larry's OD 18

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

18V. I'm surprised at how long the battery lasts. I made all those cuts yesterday on one charge.

Thank you Doug and Jeremy. This is my 3rd. stitch and glue, so I've learned some tricks. I would not have wanted to build this boat first.

The Capt. and I are heading back to it........
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

robbiro
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by robbiro »

Larry,
You have a more exacting taskmaster than I do. The cat could care less because there is less noise to interrupt his nap when I am not working. The Captain is a great looking companion and seems to know his way around those plans. How much does he work for? I'll bet more than just "Kibbles and Bits :!: :D "
You continue to be my inspiration 8) and just to it pass on, I finally got the first piece of deck glued down last night and smoothed the edges tonight. I have run the beginnings of my wiring, but still need to get the heavier stuff for the trolling motor and big motor.

Keep on Buildin'

Robbie
32.20.0983N
89.48.0787W
GF-16 FIRST LIGHT finished; D-5 Crusader '08 finished, PY 12 plans in hand

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

He works cheap Robbie, all he wants is my company. It sounds like you're getting close to finished :!:

Sam and I worked most of Saturday and got all the frames and the transom cut out...

The transom has a nice look.....

Then we cleaned up from all that and re-arranged the frames to lay out the 4 X 20 side panels. I stacked the plywood 2 thick so I would only have to mark and cut once and have matching sides.

Sam had a long day......

Today we got all the measuring and marking done for side panels....

And cut it all out.

All hull parts are all now cut 8) A good weekends work. Time to start mixing glue :lol:
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

My legs, calves, shinbones, feet, arms and back are so sore today, from 3 days of bending and lifting, that I can hardly walk :oops: I'll be glad to raise this work surface higher. Even Sam is sore.

Giving it a rest for a day or 2. Waiting on resin and cloth to arrive anyway. I expected it today. Glad it didn't come, I don't want to lift it :)

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

I spoke too soon. After I posted that a neighbor drove up with my epoxy. It was delivered to the wrong address. The guys at Bateau came through again :D

familyman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by familyman »

I love the cutting surface platform.... If I ever do this again, I will have to remember that set up, and heed the advice to raise it a bit. Things are sure coming together nicely it looks like. I appreciate the help on "Familyman OD18". Hope your legs are feeling better soon.
Bryan

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Much better today, Brian, thanks :D Good to go for tomorrow.

Just unpacked my resin shipment and everything is System3 :doh: I didn't mean to order System3, meant to order MarinePoxy. I looked up my order though, and that's what I ordered, so that's what I get for ordering at midnight from a motel room in the Carolina mountains after an evening of fun. My mistake, I'm sure. No problem mon.

Is there anything special about System3 that I need to know? And will the MarinePoxy work with it when I need to order more?

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Moving right along. The System3 with slow hardener does work at 50 degrees :D Record cold this weekend but we've made a little progress.

Got the side panels finished up and put them aside.....

Layed the bottom back out and got it marked and ready for splicing....

Cut out all the butt blocks and positioned them.....

Then mixed the glue and spliced everything together. It set up nicely overnight so in the heat of the afternoon we glued down the stringers to the bottom...

Delila checked us out and got glue on herself.

Then we spliced together the 2 parts of mold B. I've been moving it around trying to keep it in the sun.

I've got to get a better camera. The cell phone photos are poor. :cry:

Tomorrow we should be able to put some frames on and see what she's going to look like 8) [/img]

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

A couple of better photos of butt blocks and stringers......

robbiro
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by robbiro »

Larry,
The Captain does not let you get very far from the work, does he? The new ride is really showing how much of a taskmaster he is and how good you are at this craft. I have had a zero week with sick kids and then me getting it and the cold air makes it even worse. I do have big plans, but just need for everything to fall into place.

Keep on Buildin' (and keep working, or the Captain may give you what for :!: )

Robbie
32.20.0983N
89.48.0787W
GF-16 FIRST LIGHT finished; D-5 Crusader '08 finished, PY 12 plans in hand