Cracker Larry's OD 18

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Cracker Larry's OD 18

Post by Cracker Larry »

LOL...Remembering back why you took all those pictures off your post :lol:
Me too. Ironic isn't it how things go full circle. We say here in the swamp " what goes around comes around". Lot of truth in that. Thanks for the well wishes Brian :D

I had the displeasure of doing my civic obligations today and serving for jury duty. What a miserable day, started at 0730 and we didn't get out until 1930 tonight. My bony azz on a hard wood bench for 12 hours, couldn't smoke a cigarette, couldn't make a drink, couldn't leave to pee or shat, it was freezing in there, literally, heater was broke in the courthouse and it was about 34 degrees.

Listened to a bunch of lawyers spout a bunch of lies and non-sense all day....... but I got through it finally, and about 3 drinks and 3 cigarettes later, and sitting in front of the fire, I'm almost recovered, except for my sore azz.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Larry I feel for you on the jury duty. I keep winning the prize and getting called at least once every two years. This summer the wife and the boat both got their jury notice on the dame day. I was laughing at them and saying they were taking over for me :lol: Sure enough in the nets days mail I got mine :( Here at 62 you no longer have to serve, that will be a good day.
Fuzz

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

I think our cut off age of it being required is 62 also, and I'm over that. But as much as I hate it, I feel like I should do it anyway. Don't want to do it again anytime soon though.
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Good for you. I think it is our duty to serve. The legal system would love to have nothing but a bunch of sheep. I know if I was ever on trail I would want people who could and would do their own thinking. The only way to affect what comes out of the system is to serve and not be a sheep.

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Exactly! If I don't do it, who will? It's a convoluted system and slow process, but it's still probably the best in the world. If I were on trial, I'd want it to be handled the same way. And I'd like to see some gray hair in the jury box.

wegcagle
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wegcagle »

Can't believe you're selling No Excuse Larry, but congrats Tom. What an amazing boat. That thing will take you anywhere you can handle, and more.

Larry, you still got the plans for that AB23, right. :wink: Mrs. Cracker needs a bigger boat :D

Will

GV15, D4 done! Dreaming about the next one

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Thanks Will. We definitely have some plans for her. Once I get my sea legs back, Lake Michigan is only a 4 hr drive from the cabin in Iowa with some great salmon fishing. 8) Can hone my trolling skills here on Lake Fontana for walleye and lake trout(steelhead).

Regards,

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

blueflood

Post by blueflood »

Hi Larry,

I recall seeing a picture of No Excuse (I think) and the rub rail being in the camera frame. Can I ask what did you use ? I remember the sharp corner at side and transom, much like mine. Did it take the change of direction pretty good ? Looked like rubber but unsure of the manufacturer; you probably mentioned in your build.

Still pondering options and cost. Looking at aluminum strip, pine half round, rubber extrusions, hardwood strip, leave as is with modifications etc... I forget the angle of deck at bow but something like 75 degrees (?) so it has to be able to conform to that tight bend also.

I cannot afford Tessilmare :roll:
...anyone else with ideas ? please pipe in :D

Marc

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Marc, the rub rail is made by Taco. It's very heavy duty, solid rubber about 2 1/2" X 1 1/4", with a rubber piping insert. I think I bought it from Greatlakeskipper.com. It is almost tugboat tough, but it was a biotch to put it on. Biggest problem was that we did it on a cold day and it was like wrestling a python. Had to boil it in a 30 gallon crab pot to make it limber, then stretched it with a come-along attached to fence posts. It gave Mrs. Cracker and I a fit, but we got it done.

On the corners at the transom I had to cut a "V" notch on the inside of each corner and use a heat gun to make the bends. At the bow there was no way to make that bend. I cut it into 2 sections in a miter joint then filled the small gap with black 5200.

blueflood

Post by blueflood »

Hi Larry...OK thank you. All those brands I looked at and are excellent except nothing is practical for my boat :roll: I cannot find the right rubber extrusion for my design except a solid half round which I am considering;
http://www.acmerubber.com/round.htm

Time to sketch a few ideas. Work boat tough, that's what I need :lol: I may hang a handful of tires on both sides...I can imagine the scrapes and bumps the first year...and more after :lol:

Marc