Cracker Larry's OD 18

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

I wish I could teach him to hold and tighten a clamp. These opposing ones are tricky working solo.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Sure does look good. Makes me want to start my Nina over and use some of your good ideas. Uh, well, maybe I don't want to go backwards, maybe the next build? :) It's a comfort how fast you work: in a bit you'll be ahead of me and I can put your tips to use. Say hi to the Captain.

Fussing along with Nina Dougster

msujmccorm
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by msujmccorm »

Man Larry you don't mess around. Looking good quick.
Captain Sam must run a tight ship up there.
Jeff
fl14 done, can't decide what's next!

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

Just unpacked my resin shipment and everything is System3 :doh: I didn't mean to order System3, meant to order MarinePoxy. I looked up my order though, and that's what I ordered, so that's what I get for ordering at midnight from a motel room in the Carolina mountains after an evening of fun. My mistake, I'm sure. No problem mon.

Is there anything special about System3 that I need to know? And will the MarinePoxy work with it when I need to order more?
No problem using S3, just wait until it cures before using Marinepoxy over it. The S3 might have little blush to contend with also.

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

Robbiro wrote:
... I do have big plans, but just need for everything to fall into place.
Well, if that ain't a fairly universal observation! :lol: Guess that's why we all have to keep looking up (for when it all comes falling into place)! :)

Great pace you've got going Larry. Is that epoxy on the floor from a previous build? :P My next boat I think I'll spring for cheap exterior to lay on the floor. Epoxy is a pain trying to clean off of concrete. Looking forward to her taking shape on the strongback, but I bet not as much as you! :wink:

The capt will soon be looking for shade under the inverted hull. And soon enough I'm sure you'll be glad of that slow hardener.

Enjoy!

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Thanks Joel. It does seem to be a little less viscuous. Maybe I'll stck with it.

KS, yes that's glue from 2 previous builds :oops: I've tried everything to get it off. Got a lot off with a propane torch and putty knife but it blackens the floor. One day I'll probably grind it off.

We didn't get a lot done today. My wife seemed to think that boatbuilding was not what I should be doing on Easter :help:

But we did get the transom attached, and the rear frame and the transom braces and temporary cleats....

Then we measured and positioned the rest of the frames......

The boat really grew! Building space is getting tighter.

Next weeks project: side panels. Then it will start looking like a boat. :D
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

PastorBob
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by PastorBob »

My wife seemed to think that boatbuilding was not what I should be doing on Easter
Good for Her :lol: Happy Easter
... you thought epoxy was strong!
Romans 8:38-39

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

But Pastor Bob, once we've said our prayers and visited with family and killed and cooked and ate the lamb, and drank the wine and cracked the eggs too (Greek Orthodox family) :wink: Still got some daylight left. Then it's time for my therapy.

mecreature
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by mecreature »

dont skimp on therapy...

this is a good one to watch.

thanks for posting and keeping us updated..

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

The report for the week is slow progress, but we managed to get a few things done. The slow hardener and cool temperatures make for a long wait between steps. Lows have been in the 40s, highs in the 70s. Windy as heck now and soon to rain. Supposed to be in the 30s tomorrow night! That's just not right for Savannah in April.

We got all the mold/frames perfectly positioned, squared, plumb and cattywhompass even. They are secured in position by 2X4s attached to the stringers. These will also be the legs for the strongback when the boat is flipped.

After getting these and the transom positioned we started splicing the panels for the sides. Each side is made of 3 panels, and each panel is made of 3 pieces, so that is 12 splices. 24 if you count both sides. Space is getting at a premium.

And we also managed to get the transom permanently glued to the bottom, without getting it glued to the temporary braces, I hope :)

And Sam is doing his best to glue himself to the floor again...one advantage to slow hardner.

And the other one shows up to get in it too...

So that's about it. Waiting on some splicing to cure so I can move it aside and do some more. I should have bought some fast hardner also :idea: Three more panels to splice then I can put on the sides.

I'm running out of places to shift things to. This is about as big a boat as I would want to build in this space.

Oh, yeah, I got my real camera working again so maybe you can actually tell what you're looking at now.