More pictures :
http://gallery.bateau2.com/displayimage.php?pos=-12859

Peter

Posted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 4:41 pm
by Wilfried
Chapeau

Posted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:37 pm
by jacquesmm
Where in Belgium are you? I know Wilfried is from around Veurne if I remember well.

Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:11 am
by Wilfried
Hi Jacques,

Its not Veurne its Knokke, near Breskens in Holland :D

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:32 am
by TheBroomside
We are located near Leuven (25 km from Brussels).

Peter

Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:32 am
by Knottybuoyz
How's it going Peter? Any updates?

Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:01 pm
by TheBroomside
Fine. I tried posting some pictures, but for some reason I cannot find the link 'My Gallery'????

Peter

Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:04 pm
by Lucky_Louis
Did you login? It's not automatic anymore :oops:

Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:08 pm
by Salty Dog
Peter,

Great photos and progress, it looks like a TW28 already. Peel ply looks like a good improvement to the build.

Congratulations.

Cheers,

S.D.-

TW28 LUKA

Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:41 pm
by TheBroomside
This is where we stand after 250 hr of work. One should take into account that we do not work at home and we cannot leave any equipment at the building site. So perhaps the real building time is about 20% less.

I accidentally deleted the first TW28 LUS album, so the first pictures are no longer in the new gallery which also changed location. (As far as I remember the software didn't ask to confirm the 'delete', but they say machines do not make mistakes, so ....). Anyway, the TW28 LUS album is now at : http://gallery.bateau2.com/thumbnails.php?album=660

Big glassing week is coming near. There are very few pictures and discussions about glassing big hulls with multiple layers. 'Wet-on-wet' doesn't seem an option to me as we cannot reach across the hull from the side. Now I think we will just use peel-ply. Not the cheapest way, probably the fastest and the easiest. We'll see, suggestions welcome. Nothing has been very difficult up to now, so what's coming will be OK also.

Peter

LUS

Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:48 pm
by Knottybuoyz
Nice work Peter.

I've got the two original pictures from your previous photo gallery if you want them back. I've also got most of Macca's pics if he ever comes back he can decide if they go back up. A lot of good info in those photos. Sorry I don't have any advice or insight into what it takes to glass a hull of that size. There's been some big boats built here so having a look through the photo galleries might turn up some hints.

Rick

Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:40 pm
by Cracker Larry
How about screwing your roller on the end of a broom or mop handle. It is threaded inside for that purpose.

I've also seen them doing large layups in shipyards and they just climb on the hull and walk on it or in it wearing white rubber boots.

Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:09 pm
by ks8
Shaping up quickly! Can we see a picture of you standing near, instead of only your shadow holding the camera? Let your shadow have the real camera and take the picture so you can run over next to the boat and your shadow can take the picture with the real camera... 8)

(long day... :lol: )

Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:43 am
by TheBroomside
edited : double post

Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:45 am
by TheBroomside
Let your shadow have the real camera and take the picture so you can run over next to the boat and your shadow can take the picture with the real camera...
Hmm... Building a TW28 seems easier than what you are asking for. I thought the shadow was a nice touch.
they just climb on the hull and walk on it or in it wearing white rubber boots.
I have considered this. Its the white socks that go with the boots that are bothering me. :P

Peter
LUS

Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:01 pm
by TheBroomside
I did upload again the older pictures of the gallery that I deleted accidentally, documenting the first part of the build and showing the full staff of the Leuven United Shipbuilders (somewhere). Next pictures willl be in chronological order again.

Peter
LUS

Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:37 pm
by TheBroomside
Two extra layers of biax at the bow, before glassing the hull and still wondering what will happen when it hits this log one didn't notice.
Covered by a patchwork of peel-ply. The glass was fully saturated - no air trapped, the peel-ply isn't. It looks like a waste to add epoxy to fully saturate the peel-ply. Any reason to do so?

On a different note : I always need to login twice before I can post a picture. No typing errors, it is the PC which remembers the name and password. Not very important, but strange.

Peter
LUS

Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:52 pm
by Deedaddy
TheBroomside wrote:Image
Two extra layers of biax at the bow, before glassing the hull and still wondering what will happen when it hits this log one didn't notice.
Covered by a patchwork of peel-ply. The glass was fully saturated - no air trapped, the peel-ply isn't. It looks like a waste to add epoxy to fully saturate the peel-ply. Any reason to do so?

On a different note : I always need to login twice before I can post a picture. No typing errors, it is the PC which remembers the name and password. Not very important, but strange.

Peter
LUS

Never add epoxy over peel-ply.

Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:23 pm
by TheBroomside
Glassing the keel, multiple layers of heavy glass. It took us one day, working with three persons (everything takes more time than anticipated, but we are not the first to find this out). Wetting the glas (biax) was easier than anticipated. For us foam rollers work best : one pass to wet the surface, then the glass is put on the surface and a little epoxy is applied. After 10 minutes we come back with more epoxy and completely wet the glass, which is then very easy. Just using the foam rollers results in a epoxy/glass ratio of app. 1/1. Also very easy for vertical surfaces.

Peter
LUS

Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:53 am
by TheBroomside
Update, glassing SB side finished (overhang will be cut before the epoxy is fully polymerized).
No major problems, the 9 oz woven cloth was unexpectedly the most difficult to handle in our hands. Difficult to cut without damaging the cloth (need better scissors), more delicate to hande and more difficult to wet compared to the biax.
Spent app 370 man/hours till now. (I guess app 20% is used packing - unpacking the tools as we do not build at home).

Peter
LUS
http://gallery.bateau2.com/thumbnails.php?album=660

Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:18 pm
by WobblyLegs
TheBroomside wrote:Difficult to cut without damaging the cloth (need better scissors)...
Peter,

I use a fabric cutter for cutting glass. If you have a big enough surface (I use scrap plywood under the glass), it is far easier than scissors and more accurate. See pic below.

Even for cutting tape, much easier and leaves no fraying edges/ends.

Regards,

Tim.

Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:54 pm
by Knottybuoyz
Peter

Looking good! I bought the rotary cutter based on Wobbly's recommendation and they work great. Actually have two. A 25mm and a 75mm. The 75 seems to work a lot better on the heavier fabrics. Also look for some HDPE sheet to cut on. I find it's easier on the blades and heals itself so it'll last almost forever.

keep up the good work and postings. Thnx.

Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:54 am
by TheBroomside
Tim, Rick,

thanks for the excellent suggestion. I am trying to find one here.

Peter

http://gallery.bateau2.com/thumbnails.php?album=660

Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:41 pm
by WobblyLegs
TheBroomside wrote:I am trying to find one here.
Go to a haberdashery (sewing shop).

Tim.

Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:19 am
by TheBroomside
Outside hull glassing is finished. A milestone: no holes left in the hull, so this thing should float - hence it is a boat.
Started fairing, som trials visible on the right. Hopefully we can finish this before it becomes too cold for the epoxy. Unless we find a way to build and heat a tent, wintertime will be used for dreaming, thinking and planning.

Peter
L.U.S

http://gallery.bateau2.com/thumbnails.p ... 660&page=3

Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:37 am
by Knottybuoyz
Well done Peter.

I get the feeling these things will "double" in size once you flip them. Not only do you have to climb up on it, you'll have to climb down into it and then the same to get back out!!! That's going to be fun!

Keep up the good work. Following your progress closely.

Rick

Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:49 am
by Pericles
Peter,

Infrared heaters for winter with PVC tent. Here's a link and I am sure you can find others.

http://www.grovelands.com/acatalog/Elec ... aters.html

Pericles

Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:08 pm
by TheBroomside
Getting ready for winter. The build will continue.
Peter

With a little help from my friends

Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:25 am
by TheBroomside
About 30 man hours of preparation (Removing the winter tent, building a sacffold, building the frames) the actual flip took a little more than 1 hoour, in a very tight spot.
All this with a little help from my friends.
Its huge, and I like the lines of the hull.

Peter
LUS

Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:06 pm
by topwater
Man that boat is huge :o
Looks like you got alot accomplished since last post.
You guys are doing a great job!! Cant wait to see the inside
of the hull, i bet it looks even bigger.

Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:52 pm
by steve292
knocks my little FS17 into a small cocked hat.
nice looking hull 8)

Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:07 pm
by Wilfried
Hip Hip Hip Hoera Champagne ....

Congratulations

Great job :D :D

Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:51 pm
by kiwi
Congratulations!

What a way to start the new year - I bet you did it on purpose... :D

Tony

Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:45 am
by Knottybuoyz
Very nice work Peter. Congratulations.

Keep the pictures coming. Following your progress with great interest.

Happy New Year!

Rick

Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:30 am
by TheBroomside
Knottybuoyz wrote:I get the feeling these things will "double" in size once you flip them. Not only do you have to climb up on it, you'll have to climb down into it and then the same to get back out!!! That's going to be fun!
This is right, working one day in the hull is an excellent work out.

Glassing of portside and keel is finished. Starboad requires one more layer. Glassing the keel was really a pain. Difficult to judge from the picture, but at the end the width is less than 4" and the keel is deeper than 24". Not easy. The next boat should be much larger, so we can stand in the keel when glassing it...

Peter
LUS

Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:56 am
by Jaap
Wow Peter,
That looks like a pretty good job, very well and clean work. I see you putted the rubrails already on the hull, when is it was upside down. I still wondering if i can do that on my fl26, because the topside is not completely fair with the deck. How was that on your boat?

best regards,

jaap

Posted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:35 pm
by TheBroomside
Jaap wrote:I see you putted the rubrails already on the hull, when is it was upside down
Jaap,

I am not sure that I understand the question. We did not yet add rubrails to the side. What you see is could be the 'bullwark' which is epoxied before glassing.
We laminated a 'rubrail' to the transom, but this will be used to attach the swimming platform.

Peter
LUS

Posted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:19 pm
by Knottybuoyz
TheBroomside wrote:[The next boat should be much larger
Ohhhh those are some famous last words Peter! Every time I say them the wifey gives me a real stern look!!!

Nice work, I spotted your new pictures earlier. I see you've got help. That'll make the work go faster! What did you use for the peel ply?

Posted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:37 am
by TheBroomside
Rick,

We use the cheaper version of real thing (PeeltexEco) , but I think it is really worth the money for a build of this size.

We build the Luka with two, with sometimes help of a third person. Three is ideal for the big hull lamination works (more would creat a space problem). I know there is little visible progress, but we do not stop and are looking forward to the finished hull very shortly.

Peter
LUS

Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:01 pm
by TheBroomside
Finally glassing of the hull is finished, a lot of work without much visible progress.
We laminated the stringers and most of the frames, at least one notices some progress after each day of work.
We totalled 1008 hour of work, about halfway I guess.

Look at http://gallery.bateau2.com/thumbnails.p ... 660&page=6 for more pictures

Peter
LUS

Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:11 pm
by jacquesmm
I said it before but what a clean job, very nice.

I will be in Belgium for Christmas, can I visit?

Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:28 pm
by peter-curacao
Man I thought I started fairly big boat, but this thing is HUGE I feel like David :D

Very nice boat btw

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:48 am
by TW28RJ
Looking good Peter! thanks for the update on the man hours. RJ

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:02 pm
by TheBroomside
Jacques wrote:I will be in Belgium for Christmas, can I visit?
Sure, you are very welcome.
RJ wrote:thanks for the update on the man hours. RJ
Of course, an important part of the man hours are spend discussing, thinking or just having a beer.

Peter
LUS

Posted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:48 pm
by TheBroomside

Posted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:05 pm
by topwater
impressive keep the pic's comming :!:

Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:49 pm
by icelikkilinc
Hej Peter

I really would like to thank you for your great documentation of the project. I hope to join the TW28 builders club soon when the postman brings the candy to me.

Until than, if you don't mind, I have downloaded every single picture of your build. I have been looking at your very clean work. That will be really helpful along the way for us. I hope you don't mind.

Keep up the good work, and keep the pics coming.

Posted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:56 am
by TheBroomside
Still freezing, but it is time to start again, to much pressure from Turkey :D.

We did get the engine in the hull. We went for a Mitsubishi 42 pk.

This is it, with a temporary template for a system for mounting a Python drive and a thrust bearing.

Peter
LUS

Posted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:20 pm
by Knottybuoyz
Looks good Peter. Great progress. How much room do you have between the front of the engine and the bulkhead? Looks pretty tight!!!

Posted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:57 pm
by TheBroomside
Rick wrote:Looks good Peter. Great progress. How much room do you have between the front of the engine and the bulkhead? Looks pretty tight!!!
You are right.
We want the engine as far forward as possible because
- we need the space for a Python drive
- we want the down angle of the shaft as small as possible

We will make a hatch in the bulkhead. This hatch will be below the steps from the cabin to the kitchen, so this is no problem.

Peter
LUS

Posted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:25 pm
by hwsiii
Peter, that ought to push that boat along at a very comfortable speed and exceptionally economically. :lol:

H

Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:34 am
by TW28RJ
What make and HP is that engine?

Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:35 am
by TW28RJ
What make and HP is that engine?

Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:36 am
by peter-curacao
TW28RJ wrote:What make and HP is that engine?
TheBroomside wrote:
We did get the engine in the hull. We went for a Mitsubishi 42 pk.

Posted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:13 pm
by icelikkilinc
Hej Peter

We met with Cumhur today for the first time in Boat Show and it was really a nice experience to meet with a fellow builder.

I was actually checking the Python drive. Can you pls give me more detail of which actual model you chose? Thank you.

Ilker

Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:17 am
by TheBroomside
Ilker,

We got a P60-B drive.

Peter
LUS

Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:18 am
by jacquesmm
Mitsubishi makes good blocks too. I should have mentioned them and also Perkins.

Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:36 am
by icelikkilinc
TheBroomside wrote:Ilker,

We got a P60-B drive.

Peter
LUS
Thanks Peter, I was also pondering with that.

Re: TW28 Luka

Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:44 pm
by TheBroomside
Tried to finish the Luka before the forum and gallery were back on line, but we didn't succeed... :lol: Although logging in became a challenge for me. Didn't succeed using Mozilla Firefox - the forum did show me as 'logged in' but did not allow access to the gallery and nor was I allowed to post messages. Succeeded after 5 correct logins.

Anyway, we made some progress.
Installed the rudder shaft :
for a picture see the gallery. I was not allowed to post a picture that is 499 pixels high - I am not particularly impressed by the new software - format of the forum

Started installation of shaft and Python homokinetic drive

Some work installing the floor:

Peter
LUS

Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:25 am
by icelikkilinc
Nice clean job Peter...

Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:42 am
by bateau-webmaster
TheBroomside wrote:Tried to finish the Luka before the forum and gallery were back on line, but we didn't succeed... :lol: Although logging in became a challenge for me. Didn't succeed using Mozilla Firefox - the forum did show me as 'logged in' but did not allow access to the gallery and nor was I allowed to post messages. Succeeded after 5 correct logins.

Anyway, we made some progress.
Installed the rudder shaft :
for a picture see the gallery. I was not allowed to post a picture that is 499 pixels high - I am not particularly impressed by the new software - format of the forum
Peter,

First point:

All log in problems come from bad cookies. Remove all cookies and log back in if you ever have problems again. New software versions require new cookie settings.

Second point:

This is phpBB3, the version after phpBB2 that we were using before. The style (or theme) used is the stock standard one with a bateau2 logo, navigation links and page background. We stick to standard set up to reduce server administration time to an economical minimum. The picture size limit is set at 640x480 and should permit posting 480x640 sized pictures too. We don't allow larger pictures on the forum to keep forum page loading speed to a decent level for those users who are on slow connections. Larger pictures have their place in the gallery where the limit is 1200 pixels both directions or 10 Mb whichever comes first.

We are open to constructive suggestions. Bateau.com support has always been based on user satisfaction. Help us improve.

BWM

Posted: Tue May 19, 2009 2:50 pm
by Prolece
Hi Peter,
I`am from Belgrade, Serbia and I do same job like you, build TW28.
I am planning to go to Haaselt next week. I would like to drop in at your place to see your job. If you don`t mind, would you be so kind to mail me (d.cvija@sezampro.rs) the adress of yours?
Regards.
Dragan

Posted: Tue May 19, 2009 4:41 pm
by TheBroomside
Prolece wrote:Hi Peter,
I am planning to go to Haaselt next week. I would like to drop in at your place to see your job. If you don`t mind, would you be so kind to mail me the adress of yours?
Regards.
Dragan
Dragan,

Another TW28 builder, nice! Any pictures? How far are you?
You are welcome. I will send you my address by e-mail.
When are you coming to Belgium?I will be away next week from thursday evening to monday evening (4 days of sailing...), but if you would like to come then, I can ask my friend to show the boat.

Peter
LUS

TW28 Luka update

Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:46 am
by TheBroomside
New pictures in the gallery. http://gallery.bateau2.com/thumbnails.p ... 60&page=10
This is were we got after app. 1500 hrs of 'work'. This is a more realistic number for those who can only build in their free time and do more talking and thinking than actual ly building. Still a lot of fun.

Peter
LUS

Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:59 pm
by icelikkilinc
Hej Peter,

Very nice and clean work as always..

One question though: Why did you drill the hole for waste tank on the bottom of the boat instead of any of the sides?

I personally think an outlet would be much better above sea water level due to the pressure...

Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:34 am
by TheBroomside
Ilker wrote:One question though: Why did you drill the hole for waste tank on the bottom of the boat instead of any of the sides?
Ilker,

This is for 'black' water, and the outlet is always put below the waterline here. Actually from 2009 all boats need to have a holding tank, thats the black tank you see on the left. Outlets for grey water (kitchen, shower) are also put below the waterline here.The pressure is of course low, they are at most 35 cm below the waterline, but it remains a point of attention, as we have to avoid freezing in the winter.

Peter
LUS

Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:55 am
by Knottybuoyz
Having a black-water discharge under the hull is actually pretty smart. Would it not create a suction underway that could siphon the contents from the tank? Could eliminate a discharge pump in the process.

Around here you have to have holding tanks. If your boat is fitted with a "Y" valve for overboard discharge it has to be locked and in some cases such as Lake Champlain it'll be sealed by the state authorities.

Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:48 am
by peter-curacao
TheBroomside wrote: but it remains a point of attention, as we have to avoid freezing in the winter.

Peter
LUS
Peter probably you already know this but I thought I shared, you can avoid this with heat trace cable they look something like this and they are available in all kinds of voltages, just trace the pipes under the isolation with this cable.

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:37 am
by Knottybuoyz
Sorry. Found my answer. Carry on Peter. Looking forward to the next round of pictures.

Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:35 pm
by TheBroomside
Rick wrote:Found my answer.
I didn't realize there was a question. But yes, there is a valve preventing accidental discharge of the black water tank.

Peter
Lus

Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:13 pm
by Knottybuoyz
TheBroomside wrote:
Rick wrote:Found my answer.
I didn't realize there was a question. But yes, there is a valve preventing accidental discharge of the black water tank.
Sorry Peter. I had a brain fart. I was looking for info on the CV Joint & thrust bearing. A couple of Google searches and I found it. I had posted the question then edited it out later.

Anyhow, where's all the pictures of your progress? :D

Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:19 pm
by Knottybuoyz
Hi Peter

Me again with another silly question. How long is your propeller shaft?

I have to order the Python drive soon before the price goes up quite a bit. 40% increase will put it out of my price range.

The python drive you ordered did you get a longer drive shaft option?

Thanks a lot.

Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:26 pm
by TW28RJ
Rick,

Have you considered using an 8 degree down angle gear box instead. It looks like there is enough room for it. If so you could have the engine sitting almost perfectly level.

You can use either a vetus bullflex or a federal flexible coupling with soft mounts to take out any vibration transmitted from the prop and both of these couplings allow for some misalignment. Of course you don't need a down angle to do use either of them. I won't go into, but you know I'm still trying my hardest to keep it simple..

If you're interested in vesconite stearn bearings drop me an email. I found a good place for them

Posted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:13 pm
by TheBroomside
Rick wrote:Me again with another silly question. How long is your propeller shaft?

I have to order the Python drive soon before the price goes up quite a bit. 40% increase will put it out of my price range.

The python drive you ordered did you get a longer drive shaft option?
Rick,

The shaft is app 1610 mm
The Python drive has a coupling with a shaft of 140 mm. Longer couplings are available at the same price here, but there is no need.
There are two reasons for using a Python drive or similar
The first is the alignment, which is a little less critical and not affected by vibration of the engine.
The second is equally (more?) important: there is a trust bearing, so all forces go directly to the stringers and not to the gear box - engine - engine supports.

Actually, this is the trust bearing, bolted to a plate tat is bolted to the stringers.

Peter
LUS

Posted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:12 pm
by Knottybuoyz
Thanks Peter. We're in Rhode Island right now. Picking up the engine/transmission tomorrow morning. Once I get it home I'll measure it all up and order the Python Drive. Thanks again.

Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:38 pm
by Knottybuoyz
Hi Peter

I followed your lead and ordered the Python Drive today. I ordered the P60K. This is the first part I've paid full price for! $995 Cdn. :?

I'm sure it'll be a good investment in the long run. Thanks for your help.

Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:40 pm
by TW28RJ
Hey Rick,

How much did it cost and where were you able to pick it up?

Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:54 pm
by jacquesmm
If you think it's expensive, compare to the AquaDrive!
That Python drive looks good.
With the thrust bearing, you can even use a CV joint and put the engine lower.

An advantage that you forgot to mention is quietness.
With that drive, you can use super soft engine mounts.

Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:02 pm
by Knottybuoyz
TW28RJ wrote:Hey Rick,

How much did it cost and where were you able to pick it up?
Cdn dealer out on the West Coast. $945 Cdn. Probably under $900 US. I just checked the site and they don't seem to have a US dealer. Send me an e-Mail RJ and I can give you the contact info if you're interested.

Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:03 pm
by Knottybuoyz
jacquesmm wrote:If you think it's expensive, compare to the AquaDrive!
That Python drive looks good.
With the thrust bearing, you can even use a CV joint and put the engine lower.
The CV joint is built in Jacques. I know what you mean about the AquaDrive. I think their quote was $2K US +++ The Evolution Shaft system was double that again!

Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:05 pm
by TW28RJ
Rick any considerations to install an angle drive transmission? That's what I've been thinking about lately. I believe that Cumhur used and angle drive.

Jacques, want to chime in here?

Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:18 pm
by Knottybuoyz
TW28RJ wrote:Rick any considerations to install an angle drive transmission? That's what I've been thinking about lately. I believe that Cumhur used and angle drive.
Jacques, want to chime in here?
None that I'm aware of. The down angle on the shaft is 8 degs. With the CV joint integral you can (and should have at least a 1-2 deg offset) up to 8 degs (which is he max the unit can handle). You can even have total misalignment, up and down and side to side if the total angles are no more than 8 degs. So you could mount the engine a few degs high or low and leave the down angle up to the CV joint. I'll probably let the CV joint take up 4-5 degs max.

Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:26 pm
by TW28RJ
That's interesting.. so if I went with a 7 degree down angle transmission I would be in good shape.

Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:43 pm
by Bluefish2
TW28RJ
Very impressive work. You are going to have quite a vessel when done. How many "partners" do you have at this point?
I am up to three now and only working on an FS171
great build,
BF2

Posted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:14 pm
by TW28RJ
hey bluefish, this isn't my boat, it belongs to Peter, aka the broomside -

Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:17 pm
by TheBroomside
TW28RJ wrote:Rick any considerations to install an angle drive transmission?
I do not know about the possible mechanical arguments pro or con a transmissioin with a downangle, but if you use a homokinetic coupling (Python, Aquadrive, ...) I see no particilar advantage.
As Rick pointed out, you need at least a 2° angle (max 8°) for the homokinetic coupling to function properly; this is related to the lubrication of the bearings. The angle of the shaft in our TW28 is 7.5°. So if you substract 3.5° for the homokinetic coupling, the remaining angle is 4°. Using a transmission with a downangle of 8° would mean that the engine needs to have a forward tilt of -4° . It will not hurt, but I do not see the point. Of course it would be a different thing if you would use a direct coupling.

Peter
LUS

Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:13 pm
by TW28RJ
When I was thinking about the down angle transmission I wasn't thinking about an aquadrive or python drive, maybe a centiflex coupling or similar to allow the engine to float a bit. My main purpose was to install the engine level not at an incline - the benefit, slightly lower center of gravity and better lubricated engine. Thoughts?

Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:09 am
by icelikkilinc
TW28RJ wrote:the benefit, slightly lower center of gravity and better lubricated engine. Thoughts?
No problem at all on lubrication.. 8 degrees on nearly 7 - 8 feet of shaft length is only a couple of cms on the engine.. Modern engines have oil pumps that will do the lubrication quite easily even on the angle mentioned.

Yes Cumhur ordered is VW 60 Hp engine with a ZF 8 degree down angle tranmission but I dont think you need to spend that extra money.. It is not that hard to find the alignment.

Create a template for the engine and tranmission like above..

.. I bought a 3 meter long steel pipe, 16 mm wide.. You can see the long pipe in the middle going to the coupling. That was a lead pipe for me to make the alignment. I still keep that template.
I calculated where the hole should be and just drilled a hole 17 mm wide. The hole was with 7 degree angle.. I made a wooden support before hand to attach to the back of keel so that I do not loose control of the drill and mess it up on the angle.
Than I placed the metal pipe through the keel to make sure it centers the coupling of the tranmission.
When the center was found, than I drilled the real sized hole. I used a 60 mm hole drill.What I did here, not to loose the angle is I used the same 3 meter pipe there.. I welded the drill to the 60 mm drill. Since the pipe is centered on the angle that I wanted, I just drilled it and it was really easy after that point.

Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:21 am
by TheBroomside
TW28RJ wrote:centiflex coupling or similar to allow the engine to float a bit.
I contacted Macca about this some time ago. He used a Bullflex coupling and was quite happy about this, also with regard to noise and vibrations. I guess a transmission with a downangle would make sense in that case, but as Ilkers points out, is absolutely not necessary.
Personally I still prefer all forces to be transmitted to the stringers and not the gearbox/engine, so I am quite happy with the Python drive.
Ilkers is right, installing and aligning the shaft/shaft tube was no big deal. By the way, Python drives sells an SS template which is extremely useful when installing the coupling.

Peter
LUS

ps. it would be nice to have an update on the TW28s of Macca and Cumhur.

Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:39 am
by TheBroomside
Bluefish2 wrote:How many "partners" do you have at this point?
We are two building the TW28. We spent app 1600 hrs at the wharf (will not call this working hours, see some previous comments). We have some friends helping out for big tasks, they spent some 130 hrs at the workshop together.

Peter,
LUS

Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:09 am
by TW28RJ
Thanks everyone for your comments. I'll let you know what I decide when I get to that point. Has anyone heard from Yavuz?

Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:32 am
by vla
Hi Peter,

There is a good chance that a TW28 will be build in The Netherlands. I understand that you are living in Belgium and I wonder if it would be possible to meet you (and your boat). Before I make the final decision, I would like to see the boat in "Life-size", instead of small drawings. And yes, there will be questions on which I hope you have some answers.

Greetings,
Allard Vijselaar

Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:38 pm
by TheBroomside
Allard wrote:There is a good chance that a TW28 will be build in The Netherlands.
Allard,

This would be great. You are certainly welcome. Just send me an e-mail through this site.

Hope to meet you soon.

Peter
LUS

Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:26 pm
by TheBroomside
Engine started for testing.

Only a diesel engine will start instantly after being left in an unheated shed for 2 winters without special precautions!

Hydraulic steering system ready.

We are building at a much slower pace than Ilker's beautiful build, but eventually, we will hit the water.

Peter
LUS

Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:08 pm
by icelikkilinc
I don't care if slow or fast, you are doing a great job Peter..
For me its full time until I go back to work, I am just lucky enough to donate a lot of time mate...

Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:04 pm
by peter-curacao
And you know the saying Peter! "Hardlopers zijn doodlopers" sorry about that to the rest! don't know the saying in English.

Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:54 pm
by Knottybuoyz
Hi Peter. It's been awhile. Any updates? I'll soon start playing catch up! :wink:

Posted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:57 am
by TheBroomside
rick wrote:Any updates? I'll soon start playing catch up! :wink:
And it will take anywhere between 1 - 5 year to build it! :-)
Updates soon. We are on the 5(?) year track ...

Peter
LUS

Posted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:15 am
by Knottybuoyz
Thanks Peter. Was just a little worried we hadn't heard from you in awhile. A 5 yr build is ok, I've got 5 years left till I can retire! 8)

Posted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:29 pm
by TheBroomside
Some new pictures.
Deck is now in place. This should make our life easier. Lots of openings to reach all technical stuff when needed.

We deciced to make a preformed foredeck. Glass and ribs are all glued together wet-on-wet

Thats it for now.

Peter
LUS

Posted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:21 pm
by chicagoross
Great progress!
Deck is now in place. This should make our life easier.
No more jumping hurdles! :D Definitely a milestone to celebrate!

Posted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:51 pm
by sitandfish
Your attention to detail is always inspirational. :wink:

Posted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:03 pm
by wegcagle
Awesome :!:

Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:10 am
by Knottybuoyz
Nice to see you back working on the boat Peter! Keep up the good work. :wink:

Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:33 pm
by icelikkilinc
Great work..

Would have faired and primed the under deck prior to gluing it.. even though it is a big boat, it will make life harder for you to crawl in to work...

Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:48 am
by TheBroomside
Ilker,

The next one we build will be perfect (and much larger ...) :-).
Of course, by then it is also possible that we forgot all the tricks and lessons we learned.

Peter
LUS

Posted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:49 am
by vla
Peter,

I just saw the new pics. You're goin fast! Changed gear?

Allard

Posted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:48 pm
by TheBroomside
Allard wrote:Changed gear?
Not really. We do not have a lot of free time. But we never stop, I think that's very important for a project like this.
The difference you noticed is between a lot of work without much visible impact (drive train, electricity, hydrolics, water, fuel tanks, etc. etc. and work with results that make a big difference for how the boat looks.

Still excited and happy to have a second TW28 build in the neigbourhood!

Peter
LUS

Posted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:13 pm
by vla
TheBroomside wrote:
Still excited and happy to have a secont TW28 build in the neigbourhood!

Peter
LUS
I'll drink to that!

Allard

Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:11 pm
by TheBroomside

Trying to finish cabin and pilot house before winter, so we can continue building inside a heated ship.

Peter
Lus

Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:54 am
by cumhur
Peter,
You are working very clean and systematic. I can not work like you,congratulation. :wink:
Cumhur

Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:34 am
by gstanfield
Looking good Peter, keep it up :D

Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:20 pm
by Knottybuoyz
Five months since we heard from you Peter. You must be about finished no?

Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:20 pm
by TheBroomside
No.
:D

Peter
LUS

Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:55 pm
by Knottybuoyz
TheBroomside wrote:No.
:D
I'm going to catch up to you pretty quick! :wink:

Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:37 am
by TheBroomside
Rick,

Seriously: new job, less time. But the main principle is: never stop.
So, pace is slower, but we are still progressing. Pictures soon.
Rick wrote:I'm going to catch up to you pretty quick!
No problem, you will be the guy who is in trouble. Once a boat is finished, one needs to think/decide about the next one. This is a problem I will not be confronted with soon.

Peter
LUS

Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:48 am
by Knottybuoyz
Looking forward to seeing some photos of your progress Peter.

I'm pretty sure (99.8%) that I'll never build another boat and I'm also pretty sure that if I did the wife would leave me or worse. :?

If the timing is right the day after I retire we'll head south on the boat headed for the Caribbean. :wink:

The dream also includes having the boat shipped over the big pond so we can do some canaling in Europe someday.

Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:37 pm
by TheBroomside
Finally outside temperatures above 13 °C. We cannot heat the building place, so activities have been very limited. But now we are able to start again: small progress, glassing of the cabin outside.

Just to show we did not completely stop, the rudder with a nice NACA profile:

Prefab roof for the pilot house made at home:
which needs an exceptional transport:

None of this is the easiest or even the most logical way to go. But it is our way :)

Peter
LUS

Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:53 pm
by TomW
Looks like your making a flying car Peter. :lol: You have to do what you have to do! 8)

Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:22 pm
by sitandfish
One thing that the pilot house roof on top of the car illustrates is how big that boat is going to be. :D

That rudder is beautiful. 8)

Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:49 pm
by fodrega
Really nice rudder, tell us how to do a rudder like yours.

Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:50 am
by TheBroomside
Some more pictures in my gallery.
http://gallery.bateau2.com/thumbnails.p ... 60&page=12

Peter
LUS

Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:30 am
by Knottybuoyz
Nice job on the rudder and cabin roof Peter. Question: Did you raise the main cabin roof?

Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:22 am
by topwater
Nice job on the rudder, You built it much like an airplane wing. One question, after you sanded the foam
did you cover that with light ply or glass right over the foam :?:

Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:52 pm
by TheBroomside
Rick wrote:Did you raise the main cabin roof?
Yes, we will raise the roof of the pilot house. I am a tall person and I want to be able to stand up in the pilot house. We did also rise the cabin top, so I can stand in the cabin too.
It is a trade off, in my opinion the TW28 looks nicer with a lower pilot house, but I also want comfort.
topwater wrote:One question, after you sanded the foam
did you cover that with light ply or glass right over the foam
I did glass straight over the foam. The foam I used was high density epoxy foam. it is extremely hard and it was really not easy to sand for this reason. Also, as you can see on the picture, the front and trailing edges were made with epoxy pasta with a lot of chopped glass fibers in it.

Peter
LUS

Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:11 pm
by Knottybuoyz
TheBroomside wrote:
Rick wrote:Did you raise the main cabin roof?
Yes, we will raise the roof of the pilot house. I am a tall person and I want to be able to stand up in the pilot house. We did also rise the cabin top, so I can stand in the cabin too.
It is a trade off, in my opinion the TW28 looks nicer with a lower pilot house, but I also want comfort.
Thanks Peter. The reason I ask is I had the rear bulkhead panels standing up in the shed and when I stand next to them it doesn't look like there's too much headroom. I'm only 5' 7" tall (1.7M). I'm not sure what the designed headroom is.\

Nice work, you're flying now!

Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:03 pm
by icelikkilinc
you guys look nothing like myself when I was building mine...

you are more like proffessors on a scientific research. very clean job...

Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:28 am
by fodrega
TheBroomside wrote:
Some more pictures in my gallery.
http://gallery.bateau2.com/thumbnails.p ... 60&page=12

Peter
LUS
Nice work Peter, excelent rudder.

Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:30 am
by colinhart
The rudder looks fantastic. Did you fabricate the stock assembly youself or did you buy it off the shelf. If so which firm did you source it from. Cheers Colin

Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:22 am
by TheBroomside
Colin,

It depends on what you mean by 'stock assemly' (sorry, no native speaker).
If you mean this :

This was made to my specifications by Exalto in the Netherlands.
http://www.exalto.com/page.php?id=97910
Very nice company, they normally work for the professional wharfs on a totally different scale (see their web site). But they wanted to do this, quality is extremely high and they are very helpful. I also got the hydrolic part from them. I can send you a pdf of the plans if you want.

These parts:
I made a dxf file with the NACA profile and had it laser cut by a SS shop here. I still have those files somwhere.

Greetings,

Peter
LUS

Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:50 am
by colinhart
Yes please if you could send them I would be very grateful Colin

Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:46 am
by TheBroomside
Colin,

Can you mail me at peter dot marynen at med dot kuleuven dot be?
I am not sure the email feature of the board works.

Peter
LUS

Posted: Sat May 14, 2011 2:51 pm
by TheBroomside
Ilker wrote:Great work..

Would have faired and primed the under deck prior to gluing it.. even though it is a big boat, it will make life harder for you to crawl in to work...
Ilker
Always listento the experts:

Finally some visible progress, after a lot of invisible tinkering...

Peter,
LUS

Posted: Sat May 14, 2011 5:08 pm
by chicagoross
Wow! :D

Posted: Sat May 14, 2011 5:46 pm
by Knottybuoyz
chicagoross wrote:Wow! :D
X2 :D :D

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:39 pm
by TheBroomside
A million steps before a dream becomes a boat.
The sampson post:

Peter
LUS

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:56 pm
by tobolamr
Looking good!

Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:16 am
by Knottybuoyz
TheBroomside wrote:A million steps before a dream becomes a boat.
I've been struggling with that myself lately Peter. Decisions, decisions and more decisions. Did you draw up some sort of master plan or do you carry it around in your head like I do? :wink: Sometimes I think my poor old brain is only firing on three neurons.

Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:33 am
by TheBroomside

2000 + hours into this project: it starts to look as the real archetypical 'ship'! We like it.
Small mod: we prefer the forward windows of the pilot house tilted.

Peter
LUS

Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:39 am
by topwater
Looking good :!: I like the rake on the front windows.

Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:22 am
by Knottybuoyz
TheBroomside wrote:2000 + hours into this project: it starts to look as the real archetypical 'ship'! We like it.
Small mod: we prefer the forward windows of the pilot house tilted.
Nice work Peter. It has to be satisfying knowing you're getting near the end of the project. 8)

How much did you tilt the windows?

Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:59 am
by TheBroomside
Rick wrote:How much did you tilt the windows?
The front window of the pilot house is parallel to the front of the cabin.
The roof is extended a little forward, but maybe we will change this.

Regards,

Peter
LUS

Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:52 am
by vla
Peter,

The Luka looks great! Good job.

Allard

Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:53 am
by TheBroomside
Routing the window openings:

Peter
LUS

Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:46 am
by Knottybuoyz
Very nice work Peter. They look good. I think you said you raised the cabin roof correct?

I noticed you used a template for the router. Are all the forward windows identical? Will you make the center one fold open for air flow?

The windows in the kit I have are already cut so I don't have too many options to change them unless I want to cut new panels.

Keep up the good work. It's looking really good. 8)

Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:39 pm
by vla
Peter,

I think I must visit sooner than sometime in the fall. Otherwise, the Luka is ready!
Looks great those windows!

Allard

Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:47 am
by TheBroomside
Rick wrote:I think you said you raised the cabin roof correct?
Yes, the cabin is raised about 2" (5 cm) , the pilot house about 4 " (10 cm). I do have nice headroom in the cabin. In the pilot house I have headroom in the middle.
Rick wrote:Are all the forward windows identical? Will you make the center one fold open for air flow?
No, the starboard and portside windows are mirror images, irregular quadrangles with he sides parallel to the 'sides'.
The middle one will fold open, so we can talk to the person on the foredeck while mooring.

Peter
LUS

Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:09 pm
by TheBroomside
A few months ago, somebody posted a link to a site with a calculator which allowed to get the angle needed to 'saw' a cove by passing a piece of wood diagonally across a table saw. See:
I can't find it anymore, maybe somebody can point me to it. Thanks
Trial and error will do, but it would be nice to have an ballpark figure to start.

Peter
LUS

Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:20 pm
by Daddy
I'd like to see that myself, I always did the trail and error method. :help:
Daddy

Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:33 am
by TheBroomside
I found it:http://woodgears.ca/cove/calculate.html.
Never underestimate Google, 'cove table saw' and it apears on top of the list!

Peter
LUS

Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:56 am
by TheBroomside
Some 'baby-steps'.

A little tired of fairing etc., so I took some time to make some pieces of trim:

Our previous boat had some bothersome leaks betweek deck and hull, so I put an extra layer of tape at the junction of the deck and the hull. This means the hull has to be faired again...

baby-steps... This means little captains grow faster than Luka is being build...

Peter
LUS

Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:58 am
by Knottybuoyz
Very nice work Peter. All those baby steps add up to one very nice boat. I love the white hull. It really stands out well.

I see you have your lookout posted. :wink: He'll make sure you don't hit anything bad with your new boat!

Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:52 pm
by TheBroomside
We got windows!
So,we will be able to heat the cabin and work more comfortably during winter.

We also finally made hatches for the floor of the pilot house. this will also add to hye comfort, no more stumbling in the bilges.

These are large windows and we were worried about the curvature of the cabin walls. To straighten the walls, we glued beams above the windows. They will also hold the curtains:

Just the doors and the pilot house is set.

Peter
LUS

Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:23 pm
by Daddy
Looks great Peter

Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:13 pm
by vla
Those windows look great Peter! They will certainly improve comfort during the building in winter.

Allard

Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:02 am
by Knottybuoyz
Looking good Peter. Glad you posted them. Windows is one large purchase I have coming soon too!

Keep 'em coming and Happy New Year!

Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:26 am
by fodrega
Nice windows Peter, Happy New Year.

Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:21 am
by TheBroomside
After a few weeks of inactivity (cold - flu - no time), back at work!
New back windows and doors:

and a mockup for the steering console:

Fun.

Peter
LUS

Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:08 am
by gstanfield
Looking good Peter. I like the double doors 8)

Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:13 pm
by Pat4
very nice!! like the double doors!!

Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:25 pm
by vla
Looks good Peter!

Allard

Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:35 pm
by peter-curacao
8O wow that looks great, I like the cabin real cozy I bet you gonna have lots of memorable family moments in there, especially when its cold outside and warm inside 8)

Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:23 am
by Knottybuoyz
Looks like very nice work Peter. I love the saloon doors! :-)

How deep did you make the console?

Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:46 pm
by wegcagle
WOW :!: Great job. I really like the french doors 8)

Will

Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:15 am
by fodrega
Doble doors is really a good idea Peter, when at sea my door is more heavy than I thougt before.

Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:34 am
by TheBroomside
No, we didn't completely disappear from the surface of the earth!

Steering console:

Steps in the cockpit:

This is how she looks now:

Peter
LUS

Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:56 pm
by vla
Nice work Peter! Ilove the console, but where are you going to place the panel for the engine?
It is time that I'm going to think about the what, where and how of my console.

Allard

Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:18 pm
by cali123
She has nice curves. :D

Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:03 pm
by TheBroomside
vla wrote:Nice work Peter! Ilove the console, but where are you going to place the panel for the engine?
Allard, I didn't particularly like the aluminum motor panel and thought it was rather large. The instruments will be mounted directly on the wooden panel. That's where the holes are for. More wil be needed for the other instruments.

Petr
LUS

Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:00 pm
by TheBroomside
Some work.
Allard wrote: I made the gunwales 5 cm wider at the rear. I have a little problem with my balance (Meniere discease) and therfore wanted somewhat wider gunwales.
We also wanted wider gunwales, but used a different solution: we added app. 2 1/2" using wide rubrails; the TW28 will be 5" wider, but that is OK.

Also some progress on the seats after:

That's how she looks now:

Peter
LUS

Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:09 pm
by colinhart
I am just about to order the shaft what size did you use cheers colin

Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:20 am
by TheBroomside
Colin,

I used a 35 mm shaft, duplex 1-4462 SS steel, stronger than Aisi 316. See vetus.com.
What engine do you have and what reduction?

Regards,

Peter
LUS

Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:16 pm
by colinhart
I have got a yanmar 39hp book states 2.36/3.16 at 2907 rpm Looking to put a 1 1/4" shaft with a extra bearing towards the engine
the prop recommended by the supplier is an eliche 17"x 14" madi Italy I think
Cheers Colin

TW28 Luka: yes we are still building

Posted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:54 pm
by TheBroomside
What happens if one has only a few hours a week to spend at building a TW8? Slow progress, but lots of fun.

Spot the five differences;

Steering console:

Back seats in cockpit;

Model for folding table in pilot house:

Peter
LUS

Posted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:15 pm
by Knottybuoyz
Want to talk slow progress Peter? Go see my thread! *sigh*

That steering console is beautiful! Can you make me one? :wink:

Any progress is good progress though. I'm still working hard to get my hull fiberglassed and that just seems to be just like treading water.

Posted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:46 pm
by Dougster
My God I couldn't even make the model :help: Couldn't think it up either. Dang clever thing. As for the console, that's clearly high $$$ custom work and I sure admire it. Just a great project and fun to watch from here.

Checks in on every post Dougset

Posted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:52 pm
by vla
Peter,

That looks great! Although pictures tell a lot I'd rather see it with my own eyes.

Allard

TW28 Luka - Still alive

Posted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:45 am
by TheBroomside
Winter and cold, but wae are still busy.
This is the winter version of the Luka:

Kitchen: the Wallas stove keeps us (more or less) warm:

Hatches and trim in teak:

Electricity: will this ever work? In progress

Peter
LUS

Posted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:33 am
by TRC886
Those teak hatches and trim are beautiful :!:

Posted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:35 am
by Joe H
Fantastic Peter,
I love the hatchI you have inspired me to make a wood one for my P19.
Keep up the great work!
Joe H

Posted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:40 am
by selever
Amazing work! Any updates on the number of hours (working and "otherwise") you have put in on her?

Posted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:31 pm
by glossieblack
Love the combination of painted white cockpit seats and the surronding laid timber deck and trim. She's going to be a real head turner.

Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:13 am
by Corto Maltese
Peter, your work inspires me to follow your steps. Another month and back to sanding of the hull (third layer)... Already missing that itching :) Your splash is near and we'll toast to another beautiful boat.
Dario

Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:32 pm
by TheBroomside
by selever » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:40 pm

Amazing work! Any updates on the number of hours (working and "otherwise") you have put in on her?
We are 2, between us about 3000h. This includes a lot of thinking and packing/unpacking our materiaal, that we cannot leave at the building site..
My professional life changed, so I can spenderen some more time building. We want to splash this summer.

Peter
LUS

Its official

Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:12 am
by TheBroomside
We will splash the Luka on saturday July, 26th.
2 months left to finish the essential, a million things unfinished. But it is time.
Will post pictures.

Peter
LUS

Re: Its official

Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:24 am
by Knottybuoyz
TheBroomside wrote:We will splah the Luka on saturday July, 26th.
2 months left to finish the essential, a million things unfinished. But it is time.
Will post pictures.
Hi Peter

Nice to hear from you again. As I was sanding yesterday I was just thinking of you and wondering what you've been up to.

Splashing Luka just in time for some summer cruising. We'll be waiting to see pictures or maybe video of the event! You must be getting excited with the end in sight. I'm jealous! :wink:

Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:11 am
by Knottybuoyz
Hello Peter

I have a few questions. Hope you don't mind.

Your skeg, is it aluminum? Dimensions? I'm thinking a 50mm x 200mm box aluminum with an 8mm wall would work. Do you remember how you determined the angle the skeg leaves the keel? I know it doesn't run level off of the keel. Or maybe the distance from the bottom of the hull to the top of the skeg would help me.

Thanks

Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:24 pm
by TheBroomside
Rick,

The skeg is made from 6 mm 316 SS-steel with an aluminum anode. It is level, as I made the last part of the keel from station H afterwards level. The skeg is thus bolted to the keel and level (follows the waterline). So it sticks out under the keel a liitle. Might still do something about it (some kind of wig in front of it).
Will take aLl dimensions tomorrow.

We still have a lot to do, but I am happy that I put a deadline. Its time, 25 days to go

Peter
LUS

Posted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:56 pm
by Knottybuoyz
TheBroomside wrote:The skeg is made from 6 mm 316 SS-steel with an aluminum anode. It is level, as I made the last part of the keel from station H afterwards level. The skeg is thus bolted to the keel and level (follows the waterline). So it sticks out under the keel a liitle. Might still do something about it (some kind of wig in front of it).
Will take aLl dimensions tomorrow.

We still have a lot to do, but I am happy that I put a deadline. Its time, 25 days to go
Great. Thanks Peter.

Am looking for a Stainless Steel supplier in the area now. Not looking too good! I still might have to go with aluminum.

Deadlines can motivate you for sure! It'll be very nice to see your boat go in the water. I hope you get some good pictures or maybe even a video. :wink:

Cheers

Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:35 am
by TheBroomside
Rick,

The skeg is a u-profile of 80 mm x 40 mm pressed out of a 6 mm thick sheet by a local shop. length 1600 mm.
De distance between skeg and bottom is 670 mm at the keel and 770 mm at the middle of the shaft of the rudder. The distance keel-rudder is 690mm.
Actually, in our set up, the shaft of the rudder (which is vertical), had to be at a right angle to the skeg, because of the lower bearing. This defined everything. Hope this is clear.

For us it is too late, but how does one deal with the different metals (bolts etc. when using an alu profile?

Pictures are coming. There will be a video.

Peter
LUS

Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:25 am
by Knottybuoyz
TheBroomside wrote:This defined everything. Hope this is clear.

For us it is too late, but how does one deal with the different metals (bolts etc. when using an alu profile?
Thanks Peter

One thing I have to check before I measure is that the boat is still level. I think it's settled in one corner. Your measurements will help a lot. I'm not too sure how to deal with the different metals if I use aluminum. More research needed.

Thanks again.

Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:35 am
by Corto Maltese
Knottybuoyz wrote:
TheBroomside wrote:This defined everything. Hope this is clear.

Thanks Peter

One thing I have to check before I measure is that the boat is still level. I think it's settled in one corner. Your measurements will help a lot. I'm not too sure how to deal with the different metals if I use aluminum. More research needed.

Thanks again.
Rick, you can find some answers here http://www.jefa.com/rudder.htm (on the page about different rudder stock materials...)
It should be Aluminium AlMgSi1 (EN 6082) or better Aluminium AlZnMgCu1,5 (EN 7075).

Peter, the champagne is already on ice. I'm glad for your achievement.
Dario

Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:44 pm
by colinhart
Hi Peter did you use this firm for your rudder they look as though they know what they are doing and I need a supplier of the rudder assembly if you did would you recommend them
cheers Colin

Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:57 am
by TheBroomside
Colin wrote:Hi Peter did you use this firm for your rudder they look as though they know what they are doing and I need a supplier of the rudder assembly if you did would you recommend them
Colin,
No. The rudder installation was designed and manufactured by Exalto in The Netherlands (http://www.exalto.com).

Peter
LUS

Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:55 am
by colinhart
Thanks I will have a look at the web site was it an arm and a leg e.g. was the cheque book running away to hide?
Cheers Colin

Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:41 pm
by TheBroomside
Colin wrote:was the cheque book running away to hide?
Cheers Colin
Did run away, never to be seen again...

Peter
LUS

Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:17 pm
by TheBroomside
Working hard to prepare for the splash.
View from the shed:

After some work: there is where we need to be, the canal:

Classic joke: the doorway is too small and too low. Some more work:

Everyting on schedule...

Peter
LUS

Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:20 pm
by Cracker Larry
8O 8O Whatever it takes :D Good luck with the splash. I can't even imagine how much work that boat required.

Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:43 pm
by colinhart
Good luck

Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:04 pm
by Knottybuoyz
Watching intently!

It happened!

Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:51 am
by TheBroomside
See section: Finished boats

Yes!!!!!!

Peter
LUS

TW28 Luka finished

Posted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:34 pm
by TheBroomside
Some final pictures.
I am very happy with some modifications we made:
- length of pilot house increased by 20 cm. There is still plenty of room on the back deck.

- height of pilot house and cabin increased by 10 cm. i want to be able to stand upright (6'4"). It ia actually more comfortable than the pictures show.

- sliding door in pilot house. Very nice with good weather or maneuvering

Some more pictures

Its a ship!

Peter
LUS

Posted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:59 pm
by icelikkilinc
You have done a remarkable job..

Love the sliding door, neat idea.. I have a sliding window that I put my head through like a labrador :lol:

Posted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:13 pm
by jorgepease
Charming Boat!

Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:55 am
by crackedconch
Beautiful boat!!!!

Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:54 am
by terrulian
Amazing. Beyond my wildest imaginings.

Posted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:20 am
by colinhart
I am just finishing deciding on the dimensions of the water tanks and I wondered what size you fitted. As you said you didn't go into a marina for 2 weeks can you fill up with water along the canals in Belgium/Nederlands?
Cheers Colin

Posted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:48 pm
by vla
colinhart wrote:IAs you said you didn't go into a marina for 2 weeks can you fill up with water along the canals in Belgium/Nederlands?
Water in the Netherlands is no problem, you can fill up your tank(s) in every marina. That is the reason I have a 100 liter tank. So I have always fresh water. We have every 10 km a marina in the Netherlands. Fuel is also no problem here, you can tank fuel in most marina's. My exoerience in Belgium is that fuel is more difficult, water no problem, in marina's and also at the locks.

Allard

Posted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:06 am
by colinhart
Thanks for the info that is really useful in deciding size of tanks Colin

Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:30 am
by Knottybuoyz
TheBroomside wrote:Colin,

It depends on what you mean by 'stock assemly' (sorry, no native speaker).
If you mean this :

This was made to my specifications by Exalto in the Netherlands.
http://www.exalto.com/page.php?id=97910
Very nice company, they normally work for the professional wharfs on a totally different scale (see their web site). But they wanted to do this, quality is extremely high and they are very helpful. I also got the hydrolic part from them. I can send you a pdf of the plans if you want.

These parts:
I made a dxf file with the NACA profile and had it laser cut by a SS shop here. I still have those files somwhere.
Hi Peter

If you still have the plans PDF & DXF files for the rudder can you send them to me? I'd appreciate no having to redo the work.

Thanks

Rick

rick.laporte.1960 (at) gmail.com

Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:05 pm
by Corto Maltese
As a TW28 builder I'm also making plans for the rudder and there are no many useful examples on the internet. Can I ask you the same like Rick? In exchange I'll send you some good wine :D
Cheers,
Dario

Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:55 pm
by jacquesmm
The rudder dimensions and construction method is on the plans. There are other ways to build it and you can even buy one already made if the size is close but they are rarely profiled.
The one made in Holland looks good, it has a NACA profile.

Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:00 pm
by icelikkilinc
I have had mine made according to the designed dimensions from Jacques on plans.
The company also manufactured the shaft, prop and the SS rudder protection etc as a full combination
I was very impressed with the rudder response.

visible on this short clip the very short turning circle and very sharp stable response..

https://vimeo.com/11580828

Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:19 am
by Knottybuoyz
I was just hoping to get the electronic files so I could hand them to the waterjet guy who'll cut the profiles for me. That's ok. I can redraw them. I believe the foil shape for the rudder is NACA 12 or 14 IIRC.

Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:04 am
by TheBroomside
I missed this one. Too much happening here.
This is the one:
I must have the dxf files at home. Will send them tomorrow.

Peter
LUS

Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:54 am
by Knottybuoyz
TheBroomside wrote:I must have the dxf files at home. Will send them tomorrow.
Thank you Peter.

Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:04 am
by jacquesmm
That is a sturdy looking rudder!

Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:16 pm
by TheBroomside
Rick wrote:Re: TW28 Luka

Postby Knottybuoyz » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:19 am
I was just hoping to get the electronic files so I could hand them to the waterjet guy who'll cut the profiles for me. That's ok. I can redraw them. I believe the foil shape for the rudder is NACA 12 or 14 IIRC.
Rick,
I have the files, I do not have your e-mail adres.
Can you mail me the address?

Peter
LUS

Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:31 pm
by Knottybuoyz
TheBroomside wrote:
Rick wrote:R
I have the files, I do not have your e-mail adres.
Can you mail me the address?
Hi Peter

rick.laporte.1960 (at) gmail.com

You'll have to change the (at) for the @ symbol

Thanks much.

Rick

Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:37 am
by TheBroomside
Rick,

Just mailed you the files. Hope they are of any use.

Dario,

I am not sure you got my mail, sent though this web site. If you are still interested, can you give me an e-mail address I can use

Peter
LUS

Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:45 am
by Knottybuoyz
TheBroomside wrote:Rick,

Just mailed you the files. Hope they are of any use.

Hi Peter, got them A-Ok! Many thanks. This will save some time for sure.

Regards

All quiet on the TW28 front?

Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:44 am
by TheBroomside
Now that Rick took a temporary leave, I wonder what is happening to the other TW28 builds. Colin, Corto Maltese, ...everything OK. progress? New starters?
For those that are still in doubt building a TW28:

The picture is a little flattering because of the wide angle objective, but still. The Luka is in great shape after 3 years. We still think it is a great design, handling very well and really comfortable to live on board with 2 people. Th ideal cruiser for us. Allard and Luppie just spend 6 weeks onboard of their Stoere Meid nd are off again, Erik just made a two week trip on the Luka and we will leave for a 3 week vacation on the Luka next week.
No unOfficial EU TW28 meet this year, but next year we'll try again...

Greetings,

Peter
LUS

Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:22 pm
by jacquesmm
Peter, I was in Brussels two weeks. If there is a TW28 meeting anywhere close, let me know and I will try to come over.

Re: All quiet on the TW28 front?

Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:56 pm
by Corto Maltese
TheBroomside wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:44 am Now that Rick took a temporary leave, I wonder what is happening to the other TW28 builds. Colin, Corto Maltese, ...everything OK. progress? New starters?
Just came back from 3week hollidays on the seaside. Tuesday back to the shipbuilding: all frames in, beside D, support for deck done, engine mounted, a lot has been done this spring until june. The temperature was perfect to work with epoxy. Now I have to install 2x120l diesel tanks and 2x75l water + exhaust system. The drive train waits for rudder assembly. I have 3 months time until temperature drop and winter hibernation of boatyard.
My apologises not to update my thread, but realy short of time and in the evening to tired..
Thanks for photo and report. It really motivates us!
Cheers from the southern tip of Alps,
Dario

Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:40 pm
by TheBroomside
jacquesmm wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:22 pm Peter, I was in Brussels two weeks. If there is a TW28 meeting anywhere close, let me know and I will try to come over.
Jacques,
I was a little confused by the 'was' in your message. Having a second look at it, I realised hat perhaps you meant 'will be'. Also it is not clear whether you mean 2017 or 2018. It would be nice to meet you, but perhaps not realistic.
Thats a pity, the Luka is in Leuven now, which is at 25 km from Brussels. But we leave tomorrow for a trip to Rotterdam. In the next days we will be in southern part of The Netherlands. Not that far, but ot very close to Brussels.
Around August 11 we will be in 'Lage Zwaluwe' tyo visit Allard and the 'Stoere Meid'.
hen will you be in Brussels?

Regards,

Peter
LUS

Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:55 am
by TheBroomside
Yearly update: we just did spend 4 weeks on the Luka traveling the canals/rivers in Northern France. Ten more days before we are home again.
I can only repeat that the TW28 is a great design.Very comfortable to live on, sturdy - can take really bad weather/wind on large waters as well as what you see above on a small French river. Very independent with large water/diesel tanks and two solar panels on the roof, and very efficient: 0.4 gallon/hr.
More TW28s should be build! I will continue to plug the TW28, next try in 2019 :D

Peter
LUS

Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:25 am
by glossieblack
Thanks for the update Peter. TW28 Luka is certainly a great boat for cruising Europe's inland waterways. :D

Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:41 am
by colinhart
I am so jealous I seem to be stuck on other things not boat building, you have good weather for it hope you have a great trip

Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:49 am
by Jeff
Beautiful boat Peter!!! Jeff

Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:50 am
by fallguy1000
.4 gallons per hour at what rate of travel?

It might be good to share with potential builders.

Nice boat!

Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:45 pm
by colinhart
Also what size engine did you put in I seem to recall it was a 39hp am I right?

Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:59 am
by TheBroomside
TW28 Luka is certainly a great boat for cruising Europe's inland waterways.
It has been too long, so I forgot how to get the 'Glossieblack wrote' in the quote...

You are right. The TW28 can take coastal waters, but at sea I do prefer sailing boats, with greater dynamic stability.
We are lucky to have a fine-mazed net of streams, rivers and canals. The canals date from as far back as the 13d century, the older ones w started as a river, so no straight lines. We do not have wilderness anymore, but the waterways are mostly in the nicest natural environments present here
I seem to be stuck on other things not boat building,
Colin, I hope all is well with you. I think your build is great. It is certainly technically the most sophisticated, with the strict regulations in the UK. I am looking forward to see completion, perhaps next year?
.4 gallons per hour at what rate of travel?

It might be good to share with potential builders.
This is displacement hull, so speed is limited by its 28 ft length. The engine is a Mitsubishi 4 cyl. of 39 HP, this is ample power for this hull. We have an 19x12 prop.
At 1400 - 1500 rpm, 9.5 - 10 km/hr
At 1600 - 1800 rpm, 10 - 11 km/hr
Top speed 13 km/hr.
Travel is the essence, not 'getting there'. As the older canals wher build to serve medieval towns, there are plenty nice places worth visiting when cruising. Typically, we travel for a few hr, then stop to enjoy en visit the neighbourhood.
Anyway, there are speed limits on most older canals, often 9 km/hr
Beautiful boat Peter!!! Jef
I agree. Although the picture was meant to show the nice clouds :wink:

Greetings,

Peter
LUS

Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:47 am
by Jaysen
FYI, the quote feature is

Code: Select all

[quote="name"]
Replace name with the person. You need the quotes.

Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:46 pm
by colinhart
So hope its next year sorted out the mooring at the bottom of our road sad really as next door neighbour died so getting his mooring. Just finished gardening work we opened the garden for charity. Got marking to finish A level astrophysics should take a week and a bit daughter not starting new job till end of August so some sanding (oh joy) and then painting for the both of us

Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:18 am
by TheBroomside
Jaysen wrote:Replace name with the person. You need the quotes.
Thanks, tried a lot of things, but forgot about the =
Colin wrote:Got marking to finish A level astrophysics should take a week and a bit daughter not starting new job till end of August so some sanding (oh joy) and then painting for the both of us
I am in a different field but have always been fascinated by astrophysics. You are a lucky guy - the astrophysics part, not the marking.
Just a picture now and then would be fun. Its not the speed of building that gets you to the finish, just not stopping, whatever little visible progress is made. I think its Jaysen who called this the 'tractor approach'.

Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:48 am
by Jaysen
I don’t think Jaysen is that clever. I’m pretty sure he’ll take the credit though.

;)

Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:46 pm
by vla
Peter, next week the Tough girl is going to Belgium. We're coming! I'll call you soon.
I can indeed confirm that a TW28 is a perfect boat for two people to make longer trips. She is a stable, easy to sail and comfortable boat.
Like the Luka, the Tough girl has a four cylinder Mitsubishi of 40 hp, she uses approximately 1.7 liters per hour of fuel at 1800 RPM. Her speed is then about 10 km per hour. My prop has a diameter of 16 inches and a pitch of 13 inches. So the consumption and speed are similar to the Luka, only the prop is different.

It would be great if Colin could make the crossing to the continent with his T28 next year. The Luka and the Tough girl would like to be the welcome committee.

An update of the Tough girl will follow in a few weeks.

Allard

Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:16 am
by TheBroomside
Yearly update: we just did spend 3 weeks on the Luka traveling the canals/rivers in the Walloon part of Belgium. Its the sixth season with the Luka, still extremely happy with this design.
Great fun, 71 locks.

Granddaughter being trained as young skipper

The highlight was the boat lift of Strepy-Thieu - 75 m high in one go,

and the 4 historical 19th century boat lifts ( 4x16 m) nearby in Strepy-Bracquegnie.

Great engineering, they are powered exclusively by gravity: the higher bin is filled a little higher than the lower one and pushes the lower one up.

They are located on the Canal du Centre.

Back in the home "port" of Leuven, we enjoyed the visit by Allard and Luppie with the Stoere meid, the other TW28 in the EU.

What happens to all the other builders?
Corto Maltese, Colin, Mike... Any progress? Unknown courageous TW28 builders? I was happy to see a new post by Rick, back at work...

I'll report back next year :D

Peter
LUS

Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:50 am
by glossieblack
Nice update thanks Peter. :D

Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:01 am
by Jeff
Great update!!!! Jeff

Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:52 pm
by Knottybuoyz
Very nice Peter.

Looks like a lot of fun. We love the canals too! You'd love it here, Rideau Canal, Trent-Severn, Erie Canal just to mention a few.

Cheers Mate!

Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:43 pm
by terrulian
Great post, thanks.

Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:31 am
by OrangeQuest
Thank you for the update!

Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:05 am
by icelikkilinc
Luka still looks like new, well looked after
Thanks for the report Peter, have fun👍

Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:45 pm
by Corto Maltese
Peter, thank you for the motivational report. TW28 on the sunny side of Alps is aproaching the final phase of build: sanding and fairing, wiring, windows.. The engine is mounted, also tanks, calorifer, everything under sole besides fuel and water lines, but it is not a big deal. Have to build cosy interior, finish my raspberrypi marine computer. Next year painting... Boat should meet water by September next year or so.
My greetings to all TW28 builders and the rest of brilliant Bateau community ... last but not least greetings to our Jacques and his company,
Dario

Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:14 pm
by BB Sig
Corto Maltese wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:45 pm Peter, thank you for the motivational report. TW28 on the sunny side of Alps is aproaching the final phase of build: sanding and fairing, wiring, windows.. The engine is mounted, also tanks, calorifer, everything under sole besides fuel and water lines, but it is not a big deal. Have to build cosy interior, finish my raspberrypi marine computer. Next year painting... Boat should meet water by September next year or so.
My greetings to all TW28 builders and the rest of brilliant Bateau community ... last but not least greetings to our Jacques and his company,
Dario
I'd love to hear more about the Raspberry Pi computer and how you're integrating it.

Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:06 pm
by Corto Maltese
Barry, at this stage it is a simple set of raspberry pi with nautic oriented linux and openCPN plotter software. The comp is hooked by hdmi on small lcd tv, which serves as a display. The comp has bluetooth dongle for connection with handy wireless keyboard. GPS is connected with usb. No need to be watertight as tw28 helm is inside the cabin. At this moment it is simple and cheap setting (less than 150$), maybe later I can upgrade everything: https://youtu.be/U3ucE3Rx7Tw
There is an extensive thread at Cruisers & Sailing forum.
Cheers,
Dario

Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:34 pm
by TheBroomside
Sixth yearly update on the Luka!
I had to replace the seal of the internal bearing of the shaft. So the Luka was hauled out at a wharf.

After 5 years in the water, it was nice to see that the underwater hull is still in perfect condition. Only new antifouling was needed. I also decided to repaint the hull, as I was rather unhappy with the quality of the paint I originally used. So I decided to leave the Luka in the shed at the wharf for the winter.
It turned out to be a big project, I spent a lot of time sanding the hull, this paint was very difficult to remove.
The new paint was spray paint by a professional and I am quite happy with the result.

I am a still big fan of the TW28 design which perfectly fits our program in Europe, so the Luka proudly carries a TW28 label. Yserbijt is the name of the farmer who generously allowed us to build the Luka in one of his stables for 7 years, he is also honored on the hull.

Then Covid-19 arrived, we decided to stay in Flanders for a 3-week summer tour, the Luka being a perfectly safe small corona-proof bubble for two. This was no big problem, Flanders (approximately the size of Connecticut) has about 860 mi of navigable waterways. Lots of fun: tide rivers (currents up to 4,5 kts) canals (some dating from the 13th century) with all sizes of locks -always a surprise, lift bridges ...
Wherever we navigated, the Luka still always draws a lot of attention, pictures are taken, movies are made.

some pictures:
The canal where our home port is

At the end of the canal: a lock to the canal in the middle, left the Dijle river, right the Zenne river, ahead of the Luka the Rupel river

The Schelde river:

The Dender river

The Moervaart canal

The Port of Antwerp

A family visit underway

In summary: great design, great fun, more TW28 should be build...

I can only repeat myself:
Peter wrote:What happens to all the other builders?
Corto Maltese, Colin, Mike... Any progress? Unknown courageous TW28 builders? I was happy to see a new post by Rick, back at work...

I'll report back next year
Peter
LUS

Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:05 pm
by BB Sig
Thanks for sharing! Your boat is a masterpiece. :D

What color paint is that?

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:05 am
by TheBroomside
Barry wrote:What color paint is that?
Stars and Stripe Blue from Alexseal Topcoat.
You can find the RGB values on their web site.

Peter
LUS

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:51 am
by Jeff
Beautiful boat Peter, really well done!! Jeff

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:49 pm
by colinhart
Colin is still around. Have not worked on the boat this year. Returned last December after spending autumn in Spain last year. Had a sore throat turned out to be throat cancer. Had a load of radio therapy recovering well now and intend to start back on the boat next spring, will keep you posted.

Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:16 am
by TheBroomside
Colin,
This must be a difficult time. Wish you all the best.

Peter
Lus

Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:56 am
by glossieblack
Peter, thanks for the great cruising report aboard your beautiful Luka. :D

Speedy recovery Colin.

Posted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:36 am
by colinhart
Thanks guy the cure was more painful than the cancer but seems okay a winter full of inside work to do before the spring comes. Will make sure this time to be fully masked before I do any sanding just in case

Posted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:05 am
by Corto Maltese
Peter, thank you for your motivational report.
Collin, we missed you. Wish you a swift recovery. It's time to put our boats into water. Next year for sure!
Cheers or in my language "Na zdravje" ("For health"),
Dario

Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:42 am
by TheBroomside
To follow tradition, here is the yearly update on the Luka. Due to circumstances, we were only able to squeeze in two one week trips.
The Luka was splashed 7 years ago.
Remember the little boy who visited the build site of the 'Leuven United Shipbuilders' back in 2008:

He now did join us for a couple of days, as tall as hid granddad;

The C lockdown provided the time to replace the old black rubber floor by a wooden one. Nicer and more comfortable, it doesn't get hot in the sun.

Last year we had the hottest summer in 50 years. This year we had the wettest summer ever- climate change... A strange pattern of frequent short periods of extremely heavy rainfall. A lot of damage in some parts of Belgium, such as in many other countries. Image

A sort trip, but some nice visits, here a daughter and two granddaugthers assisting us at a lock passage:

In short, the Luka is still in great shape:

I understand circumstances in the EU are different from other continents, with a great number of rivers, canals (often with speed limits) and locks.
Still, the TW28 with its hull speed and exceptional gas mileage, is a great design for this type of waters.
I can only repeat my yearly appeal: MORE TW28's SHOULD BE BUILD!

Greetings to all builders, next update by the end of next summer.

Peter
LUS

Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:55 am
by Jeff
Great photos!!! Also, really nice floor!! Jeff

Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:25 pm
by TomW1
Peter she is still as pretty as when you launched her. Love the new deck!

Tom

Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:17 pm
by Fuzz
That deck is beautiful! Makes me realize how lacking my wood working skills are :cry:

Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:41 am
by glossieblack
Thanks for your annual update Peter. Great family-uses-great-boat story. :D

Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:24 am
by Dougster
Yes, beautiful floor! I looked at it in wonder...got no idea how to do something that nice.

Dougster

Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:01 am
by pee wee
Yes, thanks for the updates, it adds a lot to the fabric of the forum to see the designs in use years after completion of the build.

Luka does indeed still look great, and that deck is ridiculously pretty!

Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:40 am
by cape man
The floor is indeed a fantastic upgrade. Thanks for the annual report.

Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:13 pm
by colinhart
Still here hope to resume work this year the deck looks fantastic

Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:36 am
by TheBroomside
Hello Colin
THX.
Nice to read something from you. All the best, also with this fantastic build of you.

Peter
LUS