~ ~ ~ S P L A S H ~ ~ ~ Another OB17 launched.

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Lucky_Louis
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Lucky_Louis »

:doh: Image

Anyone ever see or use one of these? I like the shape and size for a side scupper. Looks like it could be installed almost flush with the sole for a complete draining.
Last edited by Lucky_Louis on Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image OB17 Splashed June 2007

Daniel Huckleberry
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Daniel Huckleberry »

Louis

I have seen these used in the stern of a sportfish. Not sure about their performance. I considered them. I decided to go with the ones I posted pics of after looking at a Cape Horn. They used the plastic/stainless ones and "glued" them in with what looks like 5200. They were cut off flush with the inside of the boat and there was no nut to space them up off the sole.

These will definitely let more water out but would be hard to plug if needed be.

Huck

rcihard
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by rcihard »

Lucky
Thanks for the info and picks on the seat set up. I have now put mine in at about 14.5 inches back from console I'm only 5'7" and swmbo is 4' 11" so there is plenty of room to sit and stand. Hope you sort the scupper issue out.
Regards
Richard

Lucky_Louis
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Lucky_Louis »

14½" sounds about right Richard. Don't forget (like I did), my console overhangs a few inches.
Also, my leaning post comes a touch forward of the seat edge and one of my fishing buddies probably runs 275-300 lbs. That's the beauty of these boats, we can make them suit us.

Last edited by Lucky_Louis on Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AdriaSkipper
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by AdriaSkipper »

Just two words...........beautyfull and excellent!

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW »

Lucky any fish yet or the weather been to bad? Question for you, how far out do you go when you head out into the Pacific, curious for planning if I can take an ob17 out in the Atlantic far enough, naturally on good days.

Tom
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

Lucky_Louis
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Lucky_Louis »

Today is the 1st day that the wind has dropped below 10-15 but now I'm outta town for a couple of days on meetings. This may help explain Odyssey's program -

FULL SIZE HERE

Unlike a lot of East coast areas, we seldom have to stray more than 5-10 miles offshore to the fishing grounds. Any of the circled areas except my home port will experience ocean swells and 3-4 ft. seas regularly, any time of year. I'm confident that my OB17 will be just fine and can probably take more than I can. The secret is self-bailing and knowing when 1) not to go out, and 2) when to call it a day and go home :D
Last edited by Lucky_Louis on Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW »

Thanks I appreciate your incite into the boats capability. Sounds like I can do what I want to do on good days.

Tom
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW »

Lucky you mentioned your trailer over in my BBV post. Can I get some more details on it. Does it have brakes, weight capacity. Our tow vehicle right now would be a Chevy Trailblazer with 140,000 miles, so no problem towing.

Thanks for your comments, I have a console designed if I build the OB17 which is my preference right now. It looks like a super boat. I love what you did with yours.

Tom
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

Lucky_Louis
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Lucky_Louis »

I'm not touting this brand over any other, it's what was available locally and the price/quality balance was excellent.

I actually had to return the 1st trailer I bought, the OB17 with spray rails was too wide to fit between the fenders. Originally,I bought the EZL90 17'-19' with the 2350# springs at 530 lbs net weight. Then I went to the wider model, the EZL102 15-18' with the 2300# springs at 554 lbs net weight. No brakes standard but I could have electric surge brakes if I wanted them. Trailblazer would handle this fine, you might have to add wider side mirrors. My Explorer is marginal with stock mirrors.

I think I paid around $2k including taxes and shipping. I went with the galvanized frame and wheels. All the lighting is LED.

This is the link to their bunk trailer page in our size range